Meal replacement bars - good or bad?

Options
MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
Meal replacement bars - good or bad? I've recently started using these (i.e.commercial slimming aids) once or twice a day because of a) convenience and b) their nutritional claims. I have to say though, that my body doesn't seem to get on with them very well, and I feel I'm getting too much sugar from them (I'm craving savoury things). Should I continue or not?

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Real food will probably do more for you. Occasionally shouldn't be an issue - I keep a couple in my drawer at work in case I need to eat something and can't get a healthier option. I plan out my days before I leave work, sometimes even the night before, and I rarely need to eat them.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I would go with real food!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bar and what you want to get out of it. Flip it over and read the label to see if it suits your requirements. What do you consider "meal"? For me it's a bit of complex carbs, little or no sugar, some lean protein, low sodium, preferably a bit of fiber, so if I was to purchase a bar, I would find one that fits that criteria.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think they're good maybe a couple of times a week, but not on a daily basis.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement bars are tricky because you need to find one that has an adequate amount of calories, protein, and not so much sugar that you'd be better off eating a candy bar. I like to eat them when I'm on the run but I agree that eating real food is obviously the better way to go.

What kinds have you tried so far? =)
  • floyap
    floyap Posts: 3
    Options
    I recently joined a gym and asked the trainer about the replacement bar's and drink's and was told to stay away from them if you wan to lose the weight. I will ask more specific questions again about this on the 6th when I have my appointment. I like using the shakes I get from Casco the Kirkland brand as a meal replacement or when I am hungry at night and just don't want to eat actual food. I will try to remember to up-date you on this. Keep up the good work!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bar. Stick to high protein, 17 or grams of protein. Otherwise you will feel like you do now.Too much fat sugar and carbs.

Good Luck!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I always have one in my bag if I miss a meal - but personally I will not eat them all the time instead of good natural food and vegetables - to me they are there for a emergency....
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think it completely depends on the ingredients. They aren't bad or good per se - they ARE food.. it's just whether they have the right calorie balance for what you're trying to do. For me, high protein bars are OK, but the high carb ones are not. I think if you have the right kind one a day is ok if it's around 100 calories.. if it is more than that you're probably trying to get too much of your day's calories from it.

If they make you feel bad though - then defintely not.
  • Kryscave
    Kryscave Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was on Slim Fast a few years back and lost 5 stone. I was over the moon as you can imagine. But as soon as you start eating 'normally' I gained all my weight + more over time.
    You're better off with healthy food, plan ahead and get healthy snacks ready if you feel you have the urge.
    My Doctor also said to me do not go back to them!!!

so my view........BAD!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I was on Slim Fast a few years back and lost 5 stone. I was over the moon as you can imagine. But as soon as you start eating 'normally' I gained all my weight + more over time.
    You're better off with healthy food, plan ahead and get healthy snacks ready if you feel you have the urge.
    My Doctor also said to me do not go back to them!!!

so my view........BAD!!!

I agree slimfast is bad. It contains a bunch of sugar for one thing. I consider it JUNK FOOD.

Meal replacement bars, as a general thing, are neither "good" nor "bad" as kathieh1 already mentioned.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you use them. Don't live on them, that's for sure, but I keep them around, as well as protein shakes. My biggest issue is that a lot of times in the mornings, I'm not hungry, so I'll have a cup of coffee only, then later on I eat way too much at lunch. On days like that I'll have a shake for breakfast so I'm at least getting some calories and some nutrition, and not so hungry at lunchtime. Same thing with lunch. If I've had a decent breakfast I don't want to eat just an apple for lunch because then I'll over do it at dinner, so I'll have a protein bar.

Most important, make sure you're eating ones with quality ingredients, and not garbage. Some of the ones on the market are just glorified candy bars imo.
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    for me personally they didnt work i gained all my weight back and more and most of the tim ethey left me feeling thirsty and craving sugar

now i tend to have a cereal based bar for breakfast instead mostly because cereal or a ful meal makes me feel very ill when i havent been up long they are similar in size have most of the same vitamins etc as meal replacement bars they just taste better in my opinion
    i dont think you can beat proper healthy food for dieting but a meal replacement bar is ok when your on the run and would miss a meal without it
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you have to be careful..some are full of sugar...some are very high in calories..and for the same amount or less of calories you could almost eat a whole meal
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I just re-read the OP and just realized you called them "commercial slimming aid". That's a whole different category than a traditional meal replacement. I don't think I would buy something calling itself a slimming aid. That's gimmicky and suspicious. Also, I don't want anyone to think that meal replacements implies "slimming aids". A meal replacement is just a source of food (i.e., nutrition - protein, carbs, vitamins, etc)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone. I'm going to follow the general advice and go for real food but keep the bars on hand for emergencies :-).