Meal replacement shakes, yes or no???

Options
derri78
derri78 Posts: 18 Member
Hi all
Have any of you tried the meal replacement , weight loss, fad diets, vi shakes, JP ect... Do they work ??...

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Anything works short term as long as your calorie intake is less than your body uses.

For long term healthy weight loss, use what works for you, gives you an overall nutritionally well-rounded diet, and that you can live with long term.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    yes with slimfast. I was generally hungry and my pee smelled like slimfast. Take that for what it is worth.
  • mistib1229
    mistib1229 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    yes with slimfast. I was generally hungry and my pee smelled like slimfast. Take that for what it is worth.

Ahhh, this literally made me laugh out loud.
  • derri78
    Options
    Lol... Worked well then?. :p x
  • datafan
    datafan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking an isagenix shake every day for breakfast for almost a year now. I am not trying to lose weight however, but rather starting off the day with an excellent protein, amino acid and vitamin source. I use the big glass in a nutri-bullet, toss in a banana, some blue berries, skim milk and 2 scoops of the isagenix. Gulp it down and I'm off to work or whatever. I am getting used to feeling excellent now, but when I first started doing this I couldn't believe the difference of how much better I felt both physically and mentally all day. I will never quit now.
  • derri78
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Anything works short term as long as your calorie intake is less than your body uses.

For long term healthy weight loss, use what works for you, gives you an overall nutritionally well-rounded diet, and that you can live with long term.
    Thank u x
    datafan wrote: »
    I have been drinking an isagenix shake every day for breakfast for almost a year now. I am not trying to lose weight however, but rather starting off the day with an excellent protein, amino acid and vitamin source. I use the big glass in a nutri-bullet, toss in a banana, some blue berries, skim milk and 2 scoops of the isagenix. Gulp it down and I'm off to work or whatever. I am getting used to feeling excellent now, but when I first started doing this I couldn't believe the difference of how much better I felt both physically and mentally all day. I will never quit now.
    Good for you!!.. I'm glad its working well for you.☺x
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope. You shouldn't really be replacing food for any reason...
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

Why?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    No.
  • alyhuggan
    Options

Why?

Why? Why would you? That's the real question.

A 200 calorie shake will not fill you up anywhere near as much as 200 calories coming from something like beef.

As stated above:

Not to even mention the price of some of these things. There is no reason to spend lots of money on products to lose weight. A calorie deficit is all that's needed. Weight loss isn't actually a complicated process. People funding companies like this is why it has become a complicated process for many people.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    I used the protein world meal replacement shakes on my cutting days. I'm doing a form of Intermittent fasting and they're useful for getting all my daily nutrient needs in on the two days a week I eat less than 600 cals. The rest of the time I eat to maintenance.
    So I'm cutting while learning how to eat. I like this method. It doesn't feel like I'm constantly on a diet.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why?

A 200 calorie shake will not fill you up anywhere near as much as 200 calories coming from something like beef.

As stated above:

Not to even mention the price of some of these things. There is no reason to spend lots of money on products to lose weight. A calorie deficit is all that's needed. Weight loss isn't actually a complicated process. People funding companies like this is why it has become a complicated process for many people.

Why would you?
    Well for me it fits in with my life and my method of weightloss. It also give you a more rounded source of nutrition than making a meal of the same calories.

You're right, you don't have to but that doesn't mean the tools that cost money are automatically invalid. They're tools to lose weight.

Believe it or not weight loss is complicated. You have to understand potion size, what's in the food you're eating, how that effects your hunger, how much to exercise and what that burns. Yes it's a matter if cutting calories but how it's done is really important.
  • alyhuggan
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why?

As stated above:

Why would you?
    Well for me it fits in with my life and my method of weightloss. It also give you a more rounded source of nutrition than making a meal of the same calories.

You're right, you don't have to but that doesn't mean the tools that cost money are automatically invalid. They're tools to lose weight.

Believe it or not weight loss is complicated. You have to understand potion size, what's in the food you're eating, how that effects your hunger, how much to exercise and what that burns. Yes it's a matter if cutting calories but how it's done is really important.

You've just made it complicated. Eating less than you burn will result in weight loss. That is not complicated what so ever. All the factors you involved are to help with health while cutting. I was specifically referring to weight loss in which none of that is relevant if you know your TDEE.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I really like them. I think they are a good tool for someone who might be having trouble with calorie counting and measuring. I like to bank calories for a snack later in the day ...they help me work that in.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why?

As stated above:

Why would you?

You've just made it complicated. Eating less than you burn will result in weight loss. That is not complicated what so ever. All the factors you involved are to help with health while cutting. I was specifically referring to weight loss in which none of that is relevant if you know your TDEE.

And people who don't understand that a packet of pop tarts is not a portion will log it as a portion and then wonder why they're not losing weight. But hey who cares about accurate logging? That's got nothing to do with weight loss. Oh wait...
  • alyhuggan
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why?

As stated above:

Why would you?

And people who don't understand that a packet of pop tarts is not a portion will log it as a portion and then wonder why they're not losing weight. But hey who cares about accurate logging? That's got nothing to do with weight loss. Oh wait...

If you are accurately logging you should really be using scales and measuring in grams. Your packet of pop tart analogy makes no sense. I'm sure anyone with basic mathematics skills would know to get the calories of one pop tart would be the total packet calories divided by the amount of pop tarts. Plus as shown below myfitnesspal usually doesn't have that problem...

Capture.png
  • thankyou4thevenom
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why?

As stated above:

Why would you?

If you are accurately logging you should really be using scales and measuring in grams. Your packet of pop tart analogy makes no sense. I'm sure anyone with basic mathematics skills would know to get the calories of one pop tart would be the total packet calories divided by the amount of pop tarts. Plus as shown below myfitnesspal usually doesn't have that problem...

Capture.png

Wait did you just complicate it with food scales? So it's not 'just' eat less then is it.

Edit: I'm sorry op I've hijacked your thread. I'll be quiet now.
  • frossi
    frossi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is always a protein shake. It actually fills me up (I am someone who NEEDS real food) & has 20g of protein per serving. Arbonne shakes definitely have the best ingredients. Vegan protein, no nasty crap in there & tastes SO good!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Why?

why would you even question eating real food????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants