I gained. Now I'm seriously in need of a little push.

Options
Okay so,

Quick bit of background: I'm 24, 5'10 and roughly 217lbs. I joined MFP a couple years ago (I was around 180), with the intention of losing 20 or so lbs. Long story short, I lost motivation and just stopped tracking.

Today I watched a video where a woman had someone track everything that she ate. At the end they laid it all out on a table to show her just how much she was consuming. Naturally, I was disgusted by this and instantly wanted to change. I was really excited to start my journey again so I revisited my old profile and got ready to update. I weighed myself and I'm now a whopping 217lbs in comparison to a couple of years ago. My BMI is much higher than it should be and I can't believe how much I've gained. I've gone from excited and enthused to extremely depressed and demotivated in a matter of minutes.

Anyone have any advice on how to gain back that positive outlook? I could really use a friend right now.

Replies

• tanyajensen75
    tanyajensen75 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also lost motivation a year ago. I was down to 175 and gained up to 200! My biggest ever. I am on an 8 day streak and I am determined! We could motivate each other if you would like. I ate a big bowl of ice cream and 5 cookies today :( I could definitely use the help. :smiley:
  • linda2014mfp
    linda2014mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat, that is, I have gained back some weight it took me so long to lose. Now it's hard to get motivated again but I am trying to do it one week at a time. I bought a new DVD from Kelly Coffey that I previewed on YouTube. I also have to remind myself that if I give up, I will gain more weight. Even if I only maintain my weight, it's better than gaining more!
  • Zeefishy
    Zeefishy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also lost motivation a year ago. I was down to 175 and gained up to 200! My biggest ever. I am on an 8 day streak and I am determined! We could motivate each other if you would like. I ate a big bowl of ice cream and 5 cookies today :( I could definitely use the help. :smiley:

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one! I think it would be great to keep each other focused and reach our goals.

• Zeefishy
    Options
    I am in same boat, that is, I have gained back some weight it took me so long to lose. Now it's hard to get motivated again but I am trying to do it one week at a time. I bought a new DVD from Kelly Coffey that I previewed on YouTube. I also have to remind myself that if I give up, I will gain more weight. Even if I only maintain my weight, it's better than gaining more!

That's a good thing to remember. I guess we take it one day at a time. :smile:

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a bit of time to digest the unexpected gain and what led you to it. Acceptance and understanding are usually more helpful than shame and guilt. You can totally get back to your starting weight and beyond.
  • Zeefishy
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Give yourself a bit of time to digest the unexpected gain and what led you to it. Acceptance and understanding are usually more helpful than shame and guilt. You can totally get back to your starting weight and beyond.

Thanks. It was really tough for me to swallow when I saw how much I had gained, so I think you're right. I've got to look back at how I ended up here and make a positive change. :smile:

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there,
    Our stories are very similar. I'm also 5'10. In my teen years I maintained around 160-175. Then in university I was up to 200. Kind of bounced around there for awhile.

There were a few times is lose 20,30 lbs and gain it back. My highest weight was 234 that's when I really started trying to lose weight.

I'm 153 now and haven't been this weight since I was probably 10 or 11 years old.

You can do this. It's just seeing it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.
  • Zeefishy
    Options
    Hi there,
    Our stories are very similar. I'm also 5'10. In my teen years I maintained around 160-175. Then in university I was up to 200. Kind of bounced around there for awhile.

There were a few times is lose 20,30 lbs and gain it back. My highest weight was 234 that's when I really started trying to lose weight.

I'm 153 now and haven't been this weight since I was probably 10 or 11 years old.

Wow, we do have similar stats! What kind of changes helped the most? I'm trying to figure out how to kick start things.

• corysfahad
    corysfahad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at just 30-35 pounds left to lose for some time now, too. I just need to do it as well. I feel better just at knowing I am not alone in this. In the past I would make a big pot of soup to eat through out the week so that I always had something healthy to eat. Maybe you could try this too? Good luck. Please don't give up on yourself. You are worth it!
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has lost weight and gained it back AND whose goal weight for March 2016 is your current weight (for reals), what helps me is remembering that I am worth meticulous and wholesome care (i.e., caring for your whole self, mentally and physically, and spiritually, if that's how you roll) no matter where I am in my weight loss/health journey.

It's natural to be disappointed when you weigh yourself after a long period of scale absence and get a high number. Damn, I been there. It sucks. Let it suck for a bit. Sit with those feelings. Then take a deep breath and try to let them go. You got some new information. Other than that, nothing else has changed. The good news is, if you lost the weight healthfully before than you know what to do. It will still work, even with more weight to lose. Will it take longer? Yes. But as they say around here, that time is going to pass anyway. And if you really believe who you essentially are (all the things about you that aren't your weight) is good enough right now, than it doesn't matter how long it takes for the weight to leave.

Hope this helps. Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like a MFP pal.
  • bunnsangel
    bunnsangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had lost 40+ pounds and hit a very rough patch in my life. I was down to 166 and now I am back up to 212. I am so disappointed in myself, but I know that I did it once I can do it again. I just need to find that motivation again.
  • breezyfitness
    breezyfitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I lost and then gained too. I'm planning to lose 80 lbs. I'd be happy to help motivate you and be your friend. My advice is to realize your worth and how valuable your health is and give it your all. During hard times, learn from your mistakes and believe in yourself. Be optimistic, persevere, and know that you can do this!
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. Gained about 20 lbs an am the heaviest I've been in over a year and a half since I started my weightloss journey. Day three back at it. I decided to just own it...accept it...and realized that it will now just take me longer. I'm super discouraged I let myself get back to this weight but know that if I don't get back at it I will gain even more. It truly is all about consistency and keep moving forward no matter where we start from again:)
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Zeefishy wrote: »
    Hi there,

Wow, we do have similar stats! What kind of changes helped the most? I'm trying to figure out how to kick start things.

Honestly, for me it has a lot to do with portion sizes. I still eat pretty much what I want, just less of it :)
  • WantBestME
    WantBestME Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Once i reached my then goal weight of 130lbs in dec,2014( i was 180lbs in jan,2014) stopped working-out and dieting, But i have maintained moderately..I have just gained some 3-4lbs in 6 months. Planning to reach 120lbs, I am 5.4/26/Working mommy - & I have resumed my workouts and tracking my food intake again!!
  • vinnie2732
    vinnie2732 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After years of yo yo-ing I have just decided that as long as progress is being made I will be happy and not too hard on myself. When there are weeks with out a loss, I continuously remind myself that the pounds quickly add up and if I do not stay motivated this time, I will be kicking myself in a year! I also really like to look at the progress chart and see that 6 months ago it was a lot higher up then it is now...I also stopped weighing myself obsessively and limit myself to weekly or biweekly weigh ins... my sister chooses to weigh monthly and that has really helped because odds are she had lost some weight since the last weigh in, and it shows as progress made..who cares if it takes a little longer...it's better then being a pound heavier which would definitely happen without tracking etc...!