Going over your calorie count

Options
If I accidentally went way over my calorie intake for a day (740 cal) is it going to have a very negative impact and if so what can I do?

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    No.
    3500 calorie deficit equals one pound weight loss. So, at only 740 calories over, that is less than .25 pound.
    But do tell, how do you 'accidentally' go over? Was something higher calorie than you thought?

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You may lose less weight that week. Do your best to stay on your goal for optimal progress. It's not about daily perfection. The goal is overall consistency over time. Do your best!
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes the burgers I BBQed were higher than I thought (I was mentally calculating and used the numbers from a leaner lower cal one I had purchased ) that combinwd with forgetting to log some stuff earlier in the day. Thanks for the advice.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    No. People don't not lose weight because of a single day. They often don't lose weight because they gave up because they over ate in a single day. Just keep going.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Nah. One day doesn't make or break a journey! Don't get down on it. Sometimes those high cal days are what my body needs to fuel and they're not the end of the world.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You can cut out 100 calories a day for the rest of the week (assuming you don't eat at a very low calorie level already). But 700 isn't that much-I personally would just let it go.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What is your maintenance level? What is your normal daily intake level?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No.
    3500 calorie deficit equals one pound weight loss. So, at only 740 calories over, that is less than .25 pound.
    But do tell, how do you 'accidentally' go over? Was something higher calorie than you thought?

This is true. But you also need to realize you calorie goal on MFP is also a deficit. If you have chosen to lose 1 lb a week calorie goal, you are at a 500 calorie a day deficit. If you go over you calorie goal by 750, you are really only 250 calories over you maintenance.

One day isn't going to hurt you. Being over consistently will.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I needed this post. I just binged on pizza..... :neutral: meh
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's an itty-bitty deal, not a big one. Shake it off and keep going.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If I accidentally went way over my calorie intake for a day (740 cal) is it going to have a very negative impact and if so what can I do?

Yes. Forget about it.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It can destroy you. Don't do it ever again.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    It can destroy you. Don't do it ever again.

Nope. It's called being human. As long as you keep going you'll be fine. If you do it again ( and you will) you just carry on the next day.
  • jojo8974
    jojo8974 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually workout to wash off some guilt, but it's one day. Just make sure you plan ahead for the future. Assess and adjust, you're going to be fine.
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You're human and from time to time you will go over but don't stress too much about it. Just pick yourself up the very next meal dust yourself off and keep counting your calories. One way I try to not forget to log anything is by doing it right then. My wife is very supportive and doesn't nag me if I pull out my phone for a minute to enter in another item. Having support really helps.
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the supportive comments I feel better now. It was a lesson learned I guess. I'm just really hard on myself when I set personal goal and don't meet it. I am kinda new to this counting and logging thing. I appreciate all the help. I am down 17 lbs in 9 weeks but last week I didnt lose any so it might be time to reassess.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, on Monday I thought that it was a good idea to go more than 600 over because I wanted Ben & Jerry's :'( AND IT WAS DELICIOUS
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had a boss that use to say, "Have a bad day, but don't have a bad week. Have a bad week, don't have a bad month etc..." Stuck with me ever since.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

well, your weight loss journey has come to an end.

nice knowing you.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

well, your weight loss journey has come to an end.

nice knowing you.

This is just rude. Give the op some advice or don't comment. Totally unnecessary.