Eat more Calories to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

Wow. I didn't think scales with that kind of accuracy existed, except they probably have them in the meat department at the supermarket.

What would you weigh to see if it is accurate? iw One review did a nickel? Just curious.
    maybe a diamond.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »

Wow. I didn't think scales with that kind of accuracy existed, except they probably have them in the meat department at the supermarket.

What would you weigh to see if it is accurate? iw One review did a nickel? Just curious.
    maybe a diamond.

Gosh, I don't know. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

They don't.

It has 0.01g precision - but it's not accurate.

Two very different things.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    They do make some scales that weigh to the decimal in grams, but they are typically used for drugs not food. From what I have read though, what you gain for accuracy at the bottom of the weights you lose at the top. So if you are cooking a recipe and want to weigh the recipe to divide into servings, it probably couldn't handle that large of a weight. (speaking in general terms, I'm sure if you spent enough, you could overcome this issue)
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat up to 1500 calories a day. If I exercise I do not eat extra as I have enough and I aim to lose 1 lb a week but have been losing around 2 lbs a week
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    From what OP is saying, she's not weighing to .01 anyway. She's dividing some other gram number, perhaps from the package.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    really, what does it matter? What are a few grams among friends?!

Besides, it was just a math decimal.
  • ck8882013
    ck8882013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think everyone's calorie intake is a bit different. I exercise like crazy. Always have. But the only way I can ever lose weight is by reducing my calories. I certainly wouldn't eat back all the calories I lost by working out. You need a deficit if you expect to lose anything otherwise your only maintaining your current weight. It's very difficult to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do weights too but you may want to focus first on weight loss and then begin building muscle. As you develop more muscle you'll begin to be able to eat more.

Also spinning for an hour definitely burns a lot of calories. I am a runner and I can tell you that an hour spin class is one of the best cardio workouts I can do.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    12,000 steps is about 6 miles; you more likely burned in the neighborhood of 400-500 calories walking this instead of the 700 you're using.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and weight is 60kg, so not too different from you. Maintenance is 1650 cals, and I eat 1200 cals to lose 0.8 lb per week. I workout and eat back some calories but try to stay below 1650 total so that if my workout calorie count is off, I'm still under maintenance at all times. Even then, the loss is slow. I can't imagine how you would lose weight with the amount of calories you're eating. So, try less.. definitely less..
  • salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    salstg wrote: »
    I'm not as savvy as these other folks but if you are concerned with losing cm then you should probably be more concerned with that than weight. It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT. Monitoring your cm's would be a good indicator if what you believe is correct or not. You saw a nutritionist so I assume they probably know what they are talking about but the myfitnesspal site works for me as it probably did for everyone that posted already.

I personally don;t eat back all the calories from exercise. I have it set at 2lbs per week and sedentary. I don't weigh my food (I just estimate... i know... I'm lazy) but I've lost about 4 lbs a week. Just try something different and see what happens. My calories are at 1460.... just for reference.

You're losing 4 lbs a week stv1460? How much weight are you trying to lose?

There are quack nutrtionists.

You don't gain muscle on a deficit, except for newbie gains. Building muscle is very difficult and intentional.

Idk... About 100lbs or so.

Not sure where I said you gain muscle on a deficit.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eating more is *never* the answer to sustained weight loss.

Where do folks get these shenanigans?

It was like that here two three years ago.

*Not losing? Bump your calories! *

I thought people were crazy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sorka wrote: »
    Just wondering if others have ideas on what I might be doing wrong with regard to calorie intake and weight loss. I am 165cm and weigh 65kg. I have recently had a body composition assessment at the gym I go to and found I have a fat mass of 30% and active tissue mass of 34.1%.

Have been trying to loose around 4-5kg (or a few cm around my hips) for 6 months now with no luck. I have my calories set to 1400 day and track my calories with a vivosmart for daily steps (I have myfitness pal set to sedentary and then it adds usually around 12,000 steps/ 700 calories a day).
    I also use a heart rate monitor for my gym work outs (spin bikes and weights 4-5 times a week) which usually burn an additional 5-600 calories.

I try to stick to eating approximately 2,300 calories when I have exercised but am wondering if i am doing it wrong as I am not losing weight.

Any ideas if I should be eating more/less calories or what I might need to change to get some weight loss/ body shaping underway?

Any help appreciated as I've been trying to figure this out for months now and not getting anywhere!

Cheers,

You're eating too much and your exercise burns are massively inflated

1) 12000 steps ...I'm 160lbs and would get about 500 calories for that
    2) HRM ...only for steady state cardio...if you're doing HIIT on your bike cut in half, weights log 25% if not 1 calorie

I assume your food logging is ok

At your height and weight I would have assumed a NEAT target around 1500 calories for a slow decent loss ...add back exercise idsay you should be logging around 1900

2300 is far too much but if you haven't gained weight over the months at least you've found your TDEE

Ps take gym numbers with a grain of salt ...you want a real body comp? Go get a dexa scan
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    For the people questioning op's step calorie burn. We are similar in weight, except I'm 7cm (2 3/4 inches) taller.

Thus far today I've earned 504 calories for 12,000 steps. Trusting my fitbit has so far worked for me.

About same burn for 12,000 steps as well. I am losing as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For the people questioning op's step calorie burn. We are similar in weight, except I'm 7cm (2 3/4 inches) taller.

Thus far today I've earned 504 calories for 12,000 steps. Trusting my fitbit has so far worked for me.

About same burn for 12,000 steps as well. I am losing as well.

:):+1:

I think people have had it drummed into them NOT to trust the numbers, now there's a lot of paranoia surrounding this.
    I wouldn't have bothered forking out the $$$ for a fitbit if I was going to ignore the numbers it was giving me and/or slash them in half.

Yes I've seen some ridiculously inflated numbers on my newsfeed from some members, but one would hope results and common sense would eventually come into play here...

• SLLRunner
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    really, what does it matter? What are a few grams among friends?!

Besides, it was just a math decimal.

These kind of grams?

Graham-Crackers1.jpg

Or this kind of gram?

Grandma.jpg

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I'm not as savvy as these other folks but if you are concerned with losing cm then you should probably be more concerned with that than weight. It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT. Monitoring your cm's would be a good indicator if what you believe is correct or not. You saw a nutritionist so I assume they probably know what they are talking about but the myfitnesspal site works for me as it probably did for everyone that posted already.

I personally don;t eat back all the calories from exercise. I have it set at 2lbs per week and sedentary. I don't weigh my food (I just estimate... i know... I'm lazy) but I've lost about 4 lbs a week. Just try something different and see what happens. My calories are at 1460.... just for reference.

You don't gain muscle on a deficit, except for newbie gains. Building muscle is very difficult and intentional.

You made this statement:
    It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    Eating more is *never* the answer to sustained weight loss.

Where do folks get these shenanigans?

It was like that here two three years ago.

*Not losing? Bump your calories! *

I thought people were crazy.

I'm not sure what your position is. Do you believe that raising calories is the answer when not losing weight, or you don't believe this? I would love clarification. :)
  • salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    Options

You made this statement:
    It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT

Yeah... isn't it your assumption that they are eating too much? In which case they would not be at a deficit.