What is unhealthy about that?

Options
Why is it not recommended to lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week. Is something terrible going to happen if I lose 4 pounds this week?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no..its fine to lose more. usually though where this got started from is..that usually when people lose massive amounts every week they are doing it in a way that is not healthy...in itself losing that fast isnt really bad for you..its just how you go about it.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    The calorie deficit becomes too much. Even to lose more than 2 lbs, one needs to cut 1000 calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes, you want to lose in a gradual, sustainable way, so you don't end up binging or doing that yo-yo thing that people do when they do extreme diets. Think about weight loss attempts in your past. Slow weight loss is usually associated with a long-term lifestyle change. Most crash diets are not sustainable long-term. The MFP method is, but it takes patience.
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    i think the problem in loosing large amounts is that its more likely to be muscle mass your loosing rather than fat.
  • vpurser1
    vpurser1 Posts: 7
    Options
    For men who are even moderately athletic and decide to be honest about their caloric intake and start excercising regularly, it is normal to lose 3-4 lbs per week during the beginning. This has happened to me every time I have had to correct myself to get back on track. You shouldn't expect this to be constant, consistent, or inevitable. When you plateau a little, just keep working out and eating the calories you need to keep going.