Stronglifts 5x5 for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The only issue I see is, as you mentioned, the deadlift. I would generally want to deadlift at least a plate just to make sure it's high enough off the ground. Maybe your gym has the lower weight plates that have the same diameter as a 45, that would be ideal if you can't do a full 135 lb deadlift.

For OHP keep doing what you're doing.
    For rows the static barbells should be fine too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Catflower6 wrote: »
    If you're doing 5x5 training that's all you do for 12 weeks, it is a strength programme. You choose your starting weights by your level of capability...the idea is to get stronger over the weeks. You will compromise your strength gains with cardio on that particular programme. Most people give up half way. Try and complete if you're able to and be consistent. Don't be ruled by an app. Food is key for your weight loss, inches will be lost.

The problem that arises is that you're supposed to increase each weight by five pounds every workout. For some people, that's far too much, too fast. I know that in the first few weeks, I started to get really discouraged when I noticed I was stuck. I've been at 50-55 OHP for two weeks now (haven't completed 5 sets of 55 yet), but I've learned that not everyone can advance that quickly.

He suggests adding 2.5 lbs instead of 5lbs for OHP and bench for that reason
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

The problem that arises is that you're supposed to increase each weight by five pounds every workout. For some people, that's far too much, too fast. I know that in the first few weeks, I started to get really discouraged when I noticed I was stuck. I've been at 50-55 OHP for two weeks now (haven't completed 5 sets of 55 yet), but I've learned that not everyone can advance that quickly.

Also is everything else in line? If you're on a strength program you need to eat and sleep to match those goals. If your calorie deficit is too high you'll see it in performance. Try eating a bit more on lifting days and see if that gives you a bit of a boost.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 5x5 training that's all you do for 12 weeks, it is a strength programme. You choose your starting weights by your level of capability...the idea is to get stronger over the weeks. You will compromise your strength gains with cardio on that particular programme. Most people give up half way. Try and complete if you're able to and be consistent. Don't be ruled by an app. Food is key for your weight loss, inches will be lost.

He suggests adding 2.5 lbs instead of 5lbs for OHP and bench for that reason

Ah, right. I forgot about that bit! Still, I've barely been able to increase my weight at all. OHP is just very difficult for me (not trying to derail the thread, sorry).
  • Catflower6
    Catflower6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »

No cardio? I have been doing modest cardio and plan to start SL 5x5 soon. My plan is to lift 3 days a week and continue my cardio on the opposite four days. Is this not okay? My goal is to lose weight (through eating at a deficit) and to build strength as well as cardio-respiratory endurance.

• Catflower6
    Options
    It's complicated to explain really and you're bound to get a variety of opinions but Stronglifts 5 x 5 is just that ...no cardio. It's a very simple time efficient programme and it is very effective. Most people can't understand the 'no cardio' but you're working your heart anaerobically similar to HIIT, if you watch your heart rate with those lifts it will be high. If you want to do cardio then do another kind of weight training programme. Ultimately it's of course up to you but best to stick to one way for 12 weeks and then decide. In 12 weeks not much will change unless your diet is very good. Please just do what you want and enjoy it. Then change it. It's just a shame not to get the best results you can. Good luck
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's complicated to explain really and you're bound to get a variety of opinions but Stronglifts 5 x 5 is just that ...no cardio. It's a very simple time efficient programme and it is very effective. Most people can't understand the 'no cardio' but you're working your heart anaerobically similar to HIIT, if you watch your heart rate with those lifts it will be high. If you want to do cardio then do another kind of weight training programme. Ultimately it's of course up to you but best to stick to one way for 12 weeks and then decide. In 12 weeks not much will change unless your diet is very good. Please just do what you want and enjoy it. Then change it. It's just a shame not to get the best results you can. Good luck

I know people who do SL 5x5 and still manage to do cardio fine... I'm not sure what your point is?
  • Catflower6
    Options
    Good for you. I'm not explaining myself to you. Bye bye
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good for you. I'm not explaining myself to you. Bye bye

Lol no need to be rude.

strong 23rd post.
  • Catflower6
    Options
    Lol
  • laneer75
    laneer75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Sorry - haven't been on the forums for a bit, so didn't know there were more replies. I've gotten much better figuring out the app and making it work for me. :) I also bought some 2" flat washers to make weight increases more incremental.

I have a really hard time cutting out cardio - I enjoy my walks way too much. However, I'm also not seeing much change in the few weeks I've been doing this program (well, I have lost some weight) so maybe I will try it with *just* the strength training 3x a week. See if that helps.

Part of it also is that I have a hard time knowing if I should really add food on my training days or not. The training itself doesn't seem to burn much calories at the time, although I know the muscle/burn continues after the training session is over. With cardio I can have a better idea of calories burned in a session, so I guess I feel a little better eating "back" some of those calories.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Some progress is going to take longer to see. It helps to take progress pictures and to also do measurements in order to track more than just weight. But it can take a little time to notice certain changes.

When I first did SL, I just did some walking (which isn't a very strenuous form of cardio but has many benefits health wise) either after lifting or on the occasional day off. Only weights that struggled with increasing were bench press and the typical OHP. I was also eating at a deficit. Now that I'm done with NROLFW, I'm back to the SL format and I am training for a 10k. I've been lifting since October so starting to slow down in progression and that's okay. Still in a deficit too. I do eat a little bit more than my given minimum on lifting days. I just put weight lifting in the cardio section as 30 minutes even though I take longer than that.

Just have to figure out what works for you and your goals.
  • laneer75
    laneer75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Some progress is going to take longer to see. It helps to take progress pictures and to also do measurements in order to track more than just weight. But it can take a little time to notice certain changes.

When I first did SL, I just did some walking (which isn't a very strenuous form of cardio but has many benefits health wise) either after lifting or on the occasional day off. Only weights that struggled with increasing were bench press and the typical OHP. I was also eating at a deficit. Now that I'm done with NROLFW, I'm back to the SL format and I am training for a 10k. I've been lifting since October so starting to slow down in progression and that's okay. Still in a deficit too. I do eat a little bit more than my given minimum on lifting days. I just put weight lifting in the cardio section as 30 minutes even though I take longer than that.

Just have to figure out what works for you and your goals.

I did take some pics I think after my second SL workout. I'll probably take some more in a few weeks.
    I'm also looking for a piece of clothing to use as a "measurement" - kind of a dream piece. Tape measurements don't seem that accurate to me unless you have someone else take them who takes them at the same place each time. I know I can't seem to take them at the same exact place each time, so am never sure if I've really lost/gained measurement, or it's just placement.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you want to do cardio then do another kind of weight training programme. Ultimately it's of course up to you but best to stick to one way for 12 weeks and then decide.

Care to explain that a little more? I'm currently doing cardio and SL. Why is it a problem? What alternatives are there?

• IsaackGMOON
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    If you want to do cardio then do another kind of weight training programme. Ultimately it's of course up to you but best to stick to one way for 12 weeks and then decide.

Care to explain that a little more? I'm currently doing cardio and SL. Why is it a problem? What alternatives are there?

Well when the weights start getting heavy... you're gonna love those rest days. SL 5x5 uses legs A LOT.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well when the weights start getting heavy... you're gonna love those rest days. SL 5x5 uses legs A LOT.

So you're saying it's just a matter of time to replenish between routines etc? If so, I can live with that :)

Stronglifts is a tool for me to maintain muscle mass as I lose weight, and it's doing that, even if I'm not performing absolutely optimally...