stronglifts 5x5 question

Options
hello! I have been actively lifting but I feel like I am not getting any stronger. An average day of lifting for reps is 15x10x8 (10 upping weight, 8 reps being the heaviest) or 12X4 ( all the same weight) I am pretty bad with not having a set routine and do not keep track of the amount I am lifting with each exercise which is most likely part of the problem ( plan on writing a routine and documenting what I am doing) Would you suggest 5X5 strong lifts being better then the plan I am already on (besides the documenting part) Also, with 5X5... is all you are doing is 5 reps of one weight.. and upping your weight for all 5 sets? What are the most common exercises for this? I have not done deadlifts but plan on starting soon. My max for bench press is around 75 or 80.. what would my routine look like for this? and on AVERAGE how long should I wait to up my weight ( I am guessing I will get the answer " until you are comfortable with what you are currently lifting" ) but what are peoples averages?

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Have you really read the stronglift page? It explains everything on what weights to start with and when to up your weights (which is every session btw).
    It also has a companion app in which you can track your weights and reps.
  • barthel2387
    barthel2387 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I had really read a strong lift page, I probably wouldn't be asking these questions.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Read this then:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/560459/stronglifts-5x5-summary/p1

Yes, you do 5 sets of 5 reps each all with the same weight, unless you can't do anymore then, you do as much as you can. You only do 5 exercises, Squats, bench, rows, OHP and deadlifts.