Fast food places other than Subway?

Options
2»

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, I am on a high fat diet. Believe it or not, it is actually very hard to stay within macros for a high fat diet when eating at fast food restaurants, probably just as hard for someone on a low fat diet. I have found three options that keep me on track: McD chicken nuggets with creamy ranch dipping sauce (it is all fat, no hfcs); all Carls Jr burgers bc they can be offered low carb style (no bun); and now, because of living situation and budget constraints, I am hanging on to JITB 2 tacos/99¢. I take their surveys and get two free every time I order.

IMO, most the fast food places will give you a ton of calories as a whole bc virtually everything is breaded or fried. Exceptions are things that are vegetably or fruity, but you overpay for those things anyways.

Maybe this info is relatable, maybe not, but good luck in your search for gold!
  • randi475
    randi475 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Have you been to 'Jimmy Johns'? They have the nutritional information on their website. They're really good- you can get a decent sandwich (WITH Mayo, no cheese) for 500 or less calories (you do have to look at the online nutritional information first, though). They also offer an 'Unwich' which is without the bread (wrapped with lettuce instead). Around here (PA) their meat and veg are fresh and their bread is amazing, and they seem to hollow it out so you're not eating all carbs.
    There's also DiBella's if you have them, another sandwich shop, really good, if you make the right choices.
    Of course everyone is right about Chipotle, they're amazing!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I can’t believe no one has mentioned Wendy’s. I like their chicken snack wraps better than McDonalds, and they’re both cheap and nutritious: value menu and 260cal/10fat/18protein. Their salads are also really good. Burger King used to have these buffalo chicken strips that were amazing, both delicious and solid nutritionally, but they don’t seem to make them anymore :(.

Anyway, I don’t think fast food is bad at all. Even a burger is fine, you just have to be smart about building your meals so that you’re satiated and are hitting your macros.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Chik-fil-A nuggets <3

I try to stay away from carbs (so no fries), but the Call of Fried Chicken is too strong for me.

8 count nuggets is 270 calories, 28g protein
    12 count nuggets is 400 calories, and 41g protein.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Finding healthier choices at most fast food places can be done.
    -McDonald's, they seem more limited to me but their grilled chicken salad has decent macros. The grilled chicken sandwiches don't usually fill me up alone so something paired up from home would be good.
    -chick fil a's market salad with grilled chicken is the healthiest thing on their menu with berry dressing or grilled nuggets paired with a small salad and diet lemonade
    -Potbellys? I've had it twice on vacation and ordered a roast beef flat with just lettuce and tomato and kale lentil soup that had good protein. Another day I had the chicken and cheddar flat.
    -subway you can order most subs as a salad. I love ordering the teriyaki chicken as a salad with just the vinegar dressing and TONS of veggies. Super filling.
    -Wendy's, small chili with a grilled chicken and sometimes I skip the bun and of course no mayo
    -chipotle someone mentioned...they have a great nutrition calculator on their site.

If you have places you can frequent to eat look up their nutrition facts and pair a few options together and keep it with you for reference. It has helped me a ton to get a better idea of what to order. It can be eye opening!! Not all subs, even without mayo, (think jimmy johns) are good options. You can tailor your other meals to allow for the higher sodium, carbs etc.

Hope that helps
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cooking so we don't eat much fast food. However, I think McD's actually has a lot of decent options. They are doing breakfast all day now at a lot of the stores and you can get an egg mcmuffin and hashbrown for 450 calories. I really like their southwest salad with grilled chicken. It doesn't need dressing as they put some sort of canned, pickled peppers on it which kind of act as the dressing. I think it's like 330 calories without the dressing and then I'll get a fruit and yogurt parfait to go with it if I'm still hungry. If I really need a burger and fries I get the single plain hamburger and a small fry for 570 calories. I also like the sweet chili chicken wrap at 400 calories.

On their website they have a "favorites under 400 calories" section if you want to quickly see what isn't too bad. I think McDonalds gets a bad reputation. They are easy to pick on since they are so big and have so many bad choices, but they are obviously trying.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/meal_bundles/favoritesunder400.html
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I like to hit BK and get a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and an extra chicken breast. It comes in pretty low calorie for all that protein. You can add a plain side salad to get your veggies.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bibibop Asian grill is awesome,Applebee's has meals under 500 cal that are good, most places if you study the meanu will have grilled chicken and salad
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's Catina bowls are pretty good. High protein (27g) for the steak one, and without sour cream or guacamole, it lands in at 450-ish calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can get a salad with grilled or lean meat almost anywhere (I'm thinking of McDonald's, Wendy's, Whataburger, Chick FilA, and Bill Miller just off the top of my head). You can always ask for lower calorie dressings/sauces and grilled instead of fried for chicken sandwiches. My HB loves Whataburger and when I want to save calories, I order grilled chicken sandwich on small bun(instead of large honey wheat), dry(no mayo or bun oil) with lettuce/pickle/tomato. Their grilled chicken melt is also really good, and lots of protein.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live but Culvers has some great sandwiches and salads, as long as you can avoid the frozen custard! That is my go-to when I need something fast.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the burrito bowls (without the tortilla) from Qdoba and Chipotle, they're low calorie and by companies that strive for fresh ingredients.

I don't trust a damn thing from Taco Bell or any other fast food chain to not be packed with sodium...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Don't forget KFC. Their original fried chicken is still pretty reasonable calorie-wise. Stay away from the spicy or extra-crispy. Huge calorie jump. If you want to save on calories, carbs, and fat, get their grilled chicken. It's pretty tasty, though the place near me tends to overcook it.