Anyone use Slim Fast??

Options
2»

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I don't like the shakes but some of the snacks are yummy. I'm loving the chococlate heaven crispie bar and the chive pretzels are so nice- both are less than a 100cals and are easy to grab if I'm stuck somewhere and a bit peckish.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    I've tried everything under the sun, but nothing worked as quickly and as efficiently as calorie counting. 51.5 pounds and going...

That about sums it up.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to lose weight for the summer or for the rest of your life? If it's summer, Slim Fast will probably work for you and when summer is over, expect to put it all back on plus more since you didn't learn anything about eating properly.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to have shakes everyday for breakfast, until i developed kidney stones :(
    Now i eat breakfast.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    All VLCD's are loaded with sugar most contain up to 16.5 grams per serve. That includes the shakes, bars, desserts ect. They can cause alot of side effects like GI upset, ketosis, bad breath, severe headaches, lethargy, mood swings and more. Great for a quick weight loss but as soon as you start eating a normal diet again the weight will usually come back plus more unless you eat a good healthy diet. Most VLCD's are only 550-900 calories per day to loose the weight quick but as time goes on your weight loss also slows down immensely. Your choice but not a great idea in the long term. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If it's got aspartame in it I'm not drinking it!

Yay for superstitions for once! :)

To explain: Aspartame is fine. Quick "fix" weight loss gimmicks are not.

You're using MFP right now. Why not use it to lose weight properly, instead of throwing money away on scams?

Warm regards and good luck.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So, if I'm not mistaken, with Slimfast you do "A shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch and a sensible dinner". As far as I know, they don't tell you what a "sensible dinner" is. Do you know?

I've always thought of Slimfast as the "Prom Dress Diet". You do it for a few days to fit into (or look better in) a dress for a special occasion, but you don't care if the few pounds you lose come right back on when you stop doing it. Because that's what will happen.

Good luck!
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used it for a few months when I first started. I did lose 40 pounds. HOWEVER- I am still losing at the same rate eating normal foods within calorie range as well and am much more filled and happier for it lol. No longer wanting to eat my own arm.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Surely there's other meal replacement shakes out there with better/healthier ingredients than slim fast? ?

Agree with this!! Check out GNC (or similar places) - there are a lot of shakes (if that is what you really insist on) that have way better numbers - lower sugar and higher protein - the ones I drink (as a snack) have 30 grams of protein and I think slimfast have 9 (ish?)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that all of the feedback the OP has received (consistently politely and informative) has been "shakes are not effective, you'll gain the weight right back" and her takeaway has been "Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead and do it (unless there's aspertame)".
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It's interesting that all of the feedback the OP has received (consistently politely and informative) has been "shakes are not effective, you'll gain the weight right back" and her takeaway has been "Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead and do it (unless there's aspertame)".

LOL - I noticed the same thing!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i have used it, it gave me horrible gas, and i was hungry shortly after drinking the shake. I think the plan works for many people because it limits variety, and the shakes are portable. You can copy this success using foods of your choice, instead of just shakes.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I bought a few boxes when they were on sale and kept them in my office as a backup. Decent taste and filling. Not something I would use consistently but a decent supplement.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't do the "SlimFast plan" (two shakes and two snack bars a day plus one 500-calorie meal) as it's a gimmick (and an expensive one at that) and doesn't help you develop healthy sustainable habits. However, I do keep SlimFast shakes in my fridge for 2-3 times a week when I've worked out over my lunch break because they are easy to take back to my desk and keep an accurate calorie count - plus they have protein and iron supplements which are helpful to me as a vegetarian. They're not the worst thing in the world as an occasional aid (emphasis on "occasional").
  • ladyrixx
    ladyrixx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started with the whole SlimFast plan. Then we took the calorie counts and started getting real food. I do really like the shakes for breakfast, since I have a hard time waking up on time, and it's something that I can grab and go instead of something junky.

(Also, the Wal-Mart brand (cans) doesn't have aspartame, the powder does for some strange reason. I'm allergic to it, so I check everything.)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A scoop of protein powder and a multi-vitamin are arguably a far cheaper solution to the same objective. Though neither are a solution to learning how to properly account for and eat your required calories for long term success. Expensive band-aid, nothing more.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and quit in about 36 hours because I was hungry and it tasted like crap. My mom had a friend who wanted to try, so I gave it to her and she ended up throwing it out.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast won't keep you from getting hungry. I think that's why most people try it. Just eat less--and move more. Stay within your MFP calorie goal and you'll get there.
  • lfrbs
    lfrbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm doing slim fast only, although it's in preparation for weight-loss surgery, I thought I would struggle having nothing but 3 slim fasts a day, at the start I did have cravings, but the over the past week I've not even been craving food one bit!
  • mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Ask-hole :-)