tips exercise for getting smaller, firmer thighs

Options
Im 9st thismorning and ive been staying between 8st 12 and 9st 3lb the passed 8mths after starting at 14st 3lbs. So diet has been steady. But i have noticed the passed few weeks my jeans have got tighter and my thighs seem bigger/ fatter. Im wondering if this is due to muscle weighing more than fat and ive possible lost muscle but gained fat so im still around the same weight.
Its mostly my thighs i would like to get smaller. Any one have a tips or exerise ideas specifically for that area? At the moment i just walk at 6km an hr on my treadmill for 30 mins a day.

Replies

• mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is do you put weight on your bottom half first compared to the rest of you? And is it only happening when you start creeping up the higher end of your scale? It does sound a bit strange and silly but could the jeans have shrunk or maybe just tighter feeling after a wash? It doesn't sound like you are doing anything to put muscle on your legs so I don't see it being that...nor are you putting a lot of weight on. Unfortunately we can't spot reduce where we lose fat from either. Do you have a rough idea what your bodyfat % is? I have been lifting for 9 weeks now and although my legs haven't dropped much, the muscle is definitely harder underneath and is 'popping' a bit more but I don't know if walking would have the same impact. Just throwing out other options like water retention too?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat (OMG, do the math); however, 1lb of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that your thighs have actually gotten fatter/bigger if you're losing weight.

If you don't already, start taking measurements. You don't know for sure that your thighs are bigger unless you have solid numbers to go off of. Jeans are a bad indicator because they shrink when you wash and dry them, until you stretch them back out by wearing them.

Also, do you lift weights? When you're on a deficit, you lose both fat and muscle. This will affect your body composition. Lifting weights and eating adequate protein while on a deficit can make you stronger and help you retain your muscle, which will make you smaller and leaner as you lose the fat over them.
  • millymonkey
    millymonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry dont know why i put that, obviously a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle... its a pound I didn't explain myself very well. I mean i wondered if i had lost weight in muscle and replaced it my fat hence my body weight staying the same but thighs feeling bigger. Im thinking that maybe whats happened. The two pairs of jeans i mean were noticably baggy on me before and now they are skin tight, no bagging at all, they have been washed a lot so its not that.
    I dont do weights no.
    Any good exercises for firming toning thighs is ideally what im after.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sorry dont know why i put that, obviously a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle... its a pound I didn't explain myself very well. I mean i wondered if i had lost weight in muscle and replaced it my fat hence my body weight staying the same but thighs feeling bigger. Im thinking that maybe whats happened. The two pairs of jeans i mean were noticably baggy on me before and now they are skin tight, no bagging at all, they have been washed a lot so its not that.
    I dont do weights no.

firming toning thighs?

You mean shred fat and keep muscle. Well only way to do that is get on a progressive resistance training program and eat at a consistent calorie deficit.

It could be possible that with no resistance training+ not always being in calorie deficit= loss more muscle mass and getting more fat when not eating maintenance calories or below.
  • JadedKitty
    JadedKitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you do 10k steps a day? I track my eating and inch loss. I lose inches eating right and doing walking. I lost 1/2" on each thigh in a month from doing my 10k steps a day
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I dont do weights no.

firming toning thighs?

You mean shred fat and keep muscle. Well only way to do that is get on a progressive resistance training program and eat at a consistent calorie deficit.

It could be possible that with no resistance training+ not always being in calorie deficit= loss more muscle mass and getting more fat when not eating maintenance calories or below.

Yes, all of this. It actually is possible to lose muscle and gain fat. It can happen for people who do only cardio and eat at surplus or extreme deficit due to metabolic suppression.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I dont do weights no.

firming toning thighs?

Yes, all of this. It actually is possible to lose muscle and gain fat. It can happen for people who do only cardio and eat at surplus or extreme deficit due to metabolic suppression.

We be toning all over again.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

We be toning all over again.

Yep, but I can't blame her, a guy bashed me over the head for now using starvation mode, yesterday :/
    Just want to correct it whenever possible.
  • millymonkey
    millymonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    JadedKitty wrote: »
    Do you do 10k steps a day? I track my eating and inch loss. I lose inches eating right and doing walking. I lost 1/2" on each thigh in a month from doing my 10k steps a day

Thanks. I have downloaded pacer on my phone so will start using that tomorrow To track my steps.
    I lost all my 5st weight through walking and 2:5 so that works, maybe my body is used to what i do and need to up it. Will buy a measuring tape and up the walking and see.