30 somethings with thyroid issues

Options
JuBu82
JuBu82 Posts: 1 Member
I'm looking for fitness friends. I'm 32 f and have a hypothyroid. I've got 50+ pounds to lose and need motivation and support. I will definitely do the same for you! Let's go on this journey together

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I lost the weight before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range, and I've maintained for a year. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm 46. I have hypothyroidism and need to shift about 30lb. I am also vegan, yay!
  • FatAlice87
    FatAlice87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 46, also with thyroid issues. I need to lose about 50 pounds, and need extra motivation. My biggest challenges will be giving up Dr. Pepper and comfort/boredom eating.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    You can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight—including Dr Pepper. Deprivation usually leads to bingeing.

I eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into my calorie goal. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

As for comfort eating, I keep a mental list of non-food ways to make myself feel better—everything from guilty pleasure TV to a massage.
  • stef156
    stef156 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and hypothyroid as well. I'm working on 41 lbs to lose and it's a daily struggle sometimes to have enough energy to continue to workout and not lay on the couch all day.
  • jobee3
    jobee3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I also have Hashimoto's, and thankfully my thyroid levels are fine right now. Instead of meds my doctor suggested controlling it with diet first, and I've recently started following what is basically an autoimmune paleo diet (google "The Autoimmune Solution" for the book - it basically works to reduce inflammation in the body), and I've never felt better. Not sure if it will help with full blown thyroid problems since I wasn't there yet, but it can't hurt to try.
  • southerngal80
    southerngal80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Stephanie and I'm 34. I think I might have issues with my thyroid. I am going for blood tests in a month. So I'm trying also to get this diet thing going... I'm 5'10" and weigh 245. So I'm disgusted with my weight. Even though I'm tall I have gained around my waist and thighs mainly. Ugh. I just get so mad for not doing something sooner! :'(
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    39 yr old with hashimoto's in good range with meds, but I have 135lbs to lose and it seems like a struggle to lose at all. However I am weighing every bite now to make sure I am logging correct portions. I buy fruit and snacks in bulk and portion out in to single serve portions so I don't over estimate what I eat. Monday will end first week back on plan in forever so we will see how things work out. Anyone feel free to friend me. I need all the motivation and support I can get.
  • Anna83704
    Anna83704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and have Hashimoto's. Feel free to add!
  • champagnekisses7506
    champagnekisses7506 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hey everyone!! finally, people who understand my issues. i am 30 years old and i have no thyroid at all lol which of course makes my Hypo. almost 5 years ago, i had a tumor growing inside my throat. at first it didnt seem like anything to worry about but from march 2005 to august 2005 it had grown tremendously. it was found the size of a raisin and grew to a small orange-- needless to say, the tumor needed to come out.... so they did surgery but it had attached itself to my thyroid gland and there wasnt any way to seperate the two. out it went and so my life changed.
    the doctors told me before the surgery that nothing in my life would change and that everything would be ok if my thyroid had to be taken. "take you pill and everything will be perfect" they said--- WRONG WRONG. i had to learn so many things and now i feel like i have it mastered. i am dealing with weight issues still-- but im not gaining anymore. i just have alot of problems getting it to come off.
    i lose 10 and gain it back and forth and back and forth. ugh!! this time i am super determined to get over that normal 10 pound plus/minus..... i am 12 lbs past my normal 10 lb weight loss number!! yay!

but i would LOVE to befriend all of you. please add me if you are comfy doin so. i promise to be encouraging, motivational and best of all, a friend!!
  • ldalvarado
    ldalvarado Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40s and was diagnosed with Hashi's almost 30 years ago. While I felt better on meds (Synthroid originally), I have done so, so, so much better moving to a doctor who treats symptoms and no blood tests. I did lose my weight while on Synthroid (in 2001) but my treatment plan fell apart in 2007 and I switched doctors. I find that a part of my treatment plan has to include limiting processed foods to practically zero. My thyroid messes with my blood sugar and my digestive system, and by eating whole foods, I can manage both better.
  • SuedeSeven
    SuedeSeven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's people! I am so happy to have found you. I am new here and was already starting to plot revenge on the next person to say any version of "calories in and calories out."
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looks like everybody above is female and hypothyroid. I’ll be the token hyperthyroid guy in the thread. So I have the opposite problem: rapid, unintentional weight loss if my thyroid levels go too high. I’m 31.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 44 with hypothyroidism after total thyroidectomy back in 2000. Gained close to 75lbs over the last 15 years until being introduced to MFP about a year ago (wife used this site to get back in shape after our 3 kids). I've lost over 50 lbs since then and beginning to feel like I did before the surgery.

I followed a lot of the advice of Dr. Jeffrey Brown - endocrinologist who treats several elite athletes with hypothyroidism and other metabolic disorders.

So I guess I'll be the token male/hypo then?
  • mustangtiff21
    mustangtiff21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    33...hypo and weight not budging since I left MFP. Hopefully getting back to tracking will fix it!! feel free to add me please!
  • mickeygirlie
    mickeygirlie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just joined Myfitnesspal yesterday. I have had thyroid issues for about 5 years & it is SO hard. I have PCOS & insulin resistance. I'm on my way to statying on track & exercise but need buddies so feel free to friend me & keep in touch! :)
  • Adka0726
    Adka0726 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 40 years old have been dealing with my thyroid problem since 98. I've tried everything you can think of to lose weight. I'm not giving up and I'm looking to see what has help others to lose weight. My goal us 30 pounds..help... any suggestions. ...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Adka0726 wrote: »
    I've tried everything you can think of to lose weight. I'm not giving up and I'm looking to see what has help others to lose weight. My goal is 30 pounds..help... any suggestions. ...

Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    37 here, recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My numbers showed Hypo so I just started Armour Thyroid about 2 months ago. I'm getting another blood test this next weekend. This whole diagnosis is quite new and I'm still trying to understand what it means and what changes need to be made.

I've tried logging before, but last time it took about 6 weeks to lose one pound! It felt like if I slipped up once, then it came right back. This time it took 2 weeks to lose a pound, so maybe I'll be able to stick with it. I have about 40 pounds to lose.