40 to 45 lbs in 6 months???

Options
zoerose1991
zoerose1991 Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Is aiming for 40 to 45 lbs in 6 months a healthy goal? I'm 220 lbs and I want to lose AT LEAST 40 by Christmas.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So, 14-ish weeks to lose 40 lbs? Nah, I'd shoot for a max of 2 lbs per week.

If you give us your stats (age, height, activity level) we can give you some reasonable calorie goals. Or you can fill out the MFP app info, and it'll give you a starting point.

Edit: *can't math today, sorry.
  • Carryn92
    Carryn92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi - I want to lose 40 by Nov 13 my wedding. I think 3 lbs a week is hard but doable. do you want to be buddies? I am 246 and so badly want to be under 210 and a size 14! I struggle with carbs sugar and alcohol and DIET POP I am trying to cut it all out
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    That's about 1.5 -1.75 lbs per week.

It's probably within the realm of possibility, but might be slightly aggressive. 30 is probably more realistic, and then consider anything above that a bonus
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

If you give us your stats (age, height, activity level) we can give you some reasonable calorie goals. Or you can fill out the MFP app info, and it'll give you a starting point.

6 months would be like 26 weeks
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Its not a very realistic goal. You are talking 1.5-1.75 lbs/wk sustained for 6 months. Not that it CAN'T be done, but it will be very difficult to do for that long.

As for "healthy", it would really just depend on how you do it, but I would lean towards probably not so much. However, being overweight isn't healthy either, so...
  • zoerose1991
    Options
    Carryn92 wrote: »
    hi - I want to lose 40 by Nov 13 my wedding. I think 3 lbs a week is hard but doable. do you want to be buddies? I am 246 and so badly want to be under 210 and a size 14! I struggle with carbs sugar and alcohol and DIET POP I am trying to cut it all out

Most definitely just sent you a friends request. We can do this together. :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    At the low end for 40 lbs, that's about 2.8 lbs a week. IMO, no, it's not a healthy goal. 2 lbs, max. Also, because weight loss isn't linear, you may not even lose that.

It took me 10 months to lose 57 lbs and I started at 211 lbs at 5'2, by comparison.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

3 lbs a week is unrealistic! Weight loss is not linear and takes time.
  • zoerose1991
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

14-ish weeks? Do you actually mean 24-ish?? :smile:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't see why 40 pounds is an unreasonable goal. As another poster mentioned that's about 1.67 pounds a week. It will be difficult but with dedication and determination, I think you can do it! Good luck.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I don't see why 40 pounds is an unreasonable goal. As another poster mentioned that's about 1.67 pounds a week. It will be difficult but with dedication and determination, I think you can do it! Good luck.

It's not impossible, you're right. I think people are trying to prevent OP from frustration since weight loss is not linear and she may not see exactly 1.5-1.75 lbs each week and it may take more time than she is hoping. It's most definitely possible, and I love your encouragement. In a totally unrelated note, I LOVE MY PIT BULL TOO!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

because weight loss is not a linear process...there are stalls and plateaus and you will naturally lose weight at a slower rate as you progress...if you only have 40 Lbs to lose, losing at a rate of 1.5 - 2 Lbs per week for 6 months straight isn't realistic.

I started at 220 and lost 40 Lbs...took me about 9 months...the last 5-10 Lbs were reeeeaaaallllyyyyy slow.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would like to do something similar. I am 220 lbs, 5 ft. 4 in. I won't be devastated if I don't make it, I just want to lose 1.5 lbs a week for the foreseeable future which would be about 36 more lbs to Christmas. I have lost 13 in my first month eating 1440 cals a day and working out 30 min a day in addition to a half hour walk each day for the past two weeks. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Considering your overall goal of 63 pounds lost, I am going to say that you don't weigh enough to make 40-45 pounds happen in 6 months. Your weight loss will be faster at first and then will slow down. I know that I lost 2 pounds a week for the first 3.5ish months and then .5 pounds a week for the next 8.5ish months, for a total of 52 in a year.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to achieve this goal.. 30lbs by christmas. Add me! lol
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Greatly depends on how overweight you are.

I lost more than that, then did it again in the next six months. But I had a lot to lose.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've just read a bunch of posts where people don't appear to know how many weeks are in 6 months!!! ;) Seriously people, half of 52 weeks (1 year!) is 26 weeks!

Here's the thing, of couse weight loss slows as you approach goal weight, but does anyone really think 180lb is goal weight for this person? My impression is that thisis an interim target (Xmas is a useful date goal IMO).

My current goal is similar - overall, a goal of 56lb, with a Xmas target (29 weeks) from my start date of around 35-40lb lost. I lost 2lb per week for the first 2 weeks, adjusted my calorie goals, aimed for and have hit 1.5lb for the last 3 weeks. So, 5 weeks in and I'm on target for over 40lb. I still expect to land closer to 35lb lost, but it is looking achievable, and no one's told me that I have overinflated targets! 24 weeks to Xmas and 28-32lb as a goal for me to lose. I don't think the OP is that far off in her targets - perhaps just a slight downgrade in expected numbers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

Ha, the first time I got married was on Nov 13 :)

I think 3 # / week is overly aggressive and you will make yourself crazy. If you are a person who deprives and then binges you may be setting yourself up for failure. You could try setting your goals in MFP for 1-2 #/ week and see how you feel with that.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Starting weight for me: 262lbs

I was extremely restricting my intake in the beginning and walking twice daily.

I started losing my hair and my finger nails stopped growing and I was vitamin deficient. I was losing about 10lbs per month.

Now that I'm 70lbs lighter, I am definitely eating more and my hair has stopped falling out at around 1400 calories. Just do what MFP says you should do. Losing more than 2-3lbs per week gives you an increased risk for gallstones and the other negative affects that happened to me.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a good idea to put time limits on weight loss. Every time I have done that, it has led to me either quitting because I wasn't going to make it or I would gain the weight back after the special event. It took me just under16 months to lose about 40lbs with a starting weight of 175lbs.

Start your lifestyle change now and you'll get to your goal weight when you get there. Good luck!