Good Carb ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You don't need that many carbs, so I just suggest that you don't really eat them except in veggie and fruit form. If you want, only eat complex carbs that take more energy for your body to use them and then they won't convert to unnecessary fat.
    Steel cut oats
    Sweet potato
    Brown rice (I am a cheater with this and get the wild/brown mix)

Those are all the carbs I eat except on Refeed day... which is Sunday after my bikini competition, woo hoo!

so much broscience....
  • ahayes7768
    ahayes7768 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Try carby vegetables. This could be yams, potatoes, winter squash, or corn. There are tons of options.

Great suggestion. There are lots of great high carb vegetables. Lots of the root vegetables. Legumes are good sources of carbs as well.

Yes I never thought of that. I'm really into leafy veggies like lettuce, broccli cauliflower etc, sure I couls switch it up! Thank you!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I would suggest reading the below stickys...you may not want to bulk, but you could give recomp a shot. That is, if you truly want to gain some muscle:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

Doh, posted at the same time. Great minds...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ahayes7768 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    uhhhh...you don't have to "get your carbs." if you don't like rice, don't eat rice...if you don't like bread then don't eat bread...none of those things are necessary to be healthy.

maybe eat some fruit...

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm trying to build muscle. Prettt sure I nees carbs for that..

well first and foremost you need calories then...you need to eat at a surplus. and yes...carbs are important to a bulk...but are you eating in a surplus? if you're not, you're doing it wrong.
    Well I'm deff doing it wrong as I have no idea what that means, I'm in school and have part time job can't afford a personal trainer so try to educate myself online about it. Sadly so much of it is wrong.
    However I'm 5'2 weigh 125 and still have a little tummy that I want to be a 6 pack in a few months lol so I'm gonna keep trying

Are you trying to lose weight, build muscle, or both?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    when I did my bulk I ate a ton of potatoes and sweet potatoes...like 2 or 3 per day...and pasta with a good bolognese.

mmmm bolognese.

Is the OP bulking? I must have missed that.

A question, wolfman (since you're one of the most knowledgeable guys on here): why carbs and not fats for a bulk? I've never *tried* to gain weight. Going on the pill was the easiest way for me to bulk lol.

first and foremost you want carbs for the energy you need to really put in the work volume and progressively overload the body...beyond that, the insulin response is conducive to growth.
    uhhhh...you don't have to "get your carbs." if you don't like rice, don't eat rice...if you don't like bread then don't eat bread...none of those things are necessary to be healthy.

maybe eat some fruit...

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm trying to build muscle. Prettt sure I nees carbs for that..

well first and foremost you need calories then...you need to eat at a surplus. and yes...carbs are important to a bulk...but are you eating in a surplus? if you're not, you're doing it wrong.
    Well I'm deff doing it wrong as I have no idea what that means, I'm in school and have part time job can't afford a personal trainer so try to educate myself online about it. Sadly so much of it is wrong.
    However I'm 5'2 weigh 125 and still have a little tummy that I want to be a 6 pack in a few months lol so I'm gonna keep trying

it's sounds more like you want to do a recomp...which is slow...you don't get 6 packs in a few months; that's not how it works. really, you should be eating a healthy and balanced diet at or maybe slightly less than maintenance calories and hitting the weight room with some solid programming...look at programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves...these are good all around fitness/lifting programs...if you want to get really really strong, look to programs like Stronglifts 5x5.

when you re-comp, basically you will add a little muscle and lose a little fat...very, very slowly. this is why people tend more towards cutting and bulking cycles.

to bulk is to put on muscle mass which requires a surplus of energy...i.e. more calories than your body would need to maintain weight...when you eat at a surplus and do nothing, you get fat...when you eat at a surplus and hit the weight room hard, you put on some solid muscle (along with some fat).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I would suggest reading the below stickys...you may not want to bulk, but you could give recomp a shot. That is, if you truly want to gain some muscle:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

Doh, posted at the same time. Great minds...

ha, agree
  • ahayes7768
    Options
    Okay everyone thank you so much for advice but no I'm not trying to lose weight I really just wanted to maybe gain a few pounds of muscle ( pretty sure im at a healthy weight already for my size) And when I say good in carbs, its because I don't like to put trash in my body lol I'm the one that won't eat high fructose corn syrup, try to avoid any sugar that's not natural and shop all organic when I have the money. I will deff be reading the posts that were listed! Thanks guys for those. Also I know I dont need A LOT of carbs but more then 25/30 grams a day would be nice lol. Thank u all and e xcuse my ignorance :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Okay everyone thank you so much for advice but no I'm not trying to lose weight I really just wanted to maybe gain a few pounds of muscle ( pretty sure im at a healthy weight already for my size) And when I say good in carbs, its because I don't like to put trash in my body lol I'm the one that won't eat high fructose corn syrup, try to avoid any sugar that's not natural and shop all organic when I have the money. I will deff be reading the posts that were listed! Thanks guys for those. Also I know I dont need A LOT of carbs but more then 25/30 grams a day would be nice lol. Thank u all and e xcuse my ignorance :)

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying on your goals.
    Root vegetables and legumes!
  • ndj1979
    Options

maybe eat some fruit...

it sounds like you either want to do a recomp or eat in a slight deficit like .5 pound a week loss.

You are probably new to lifting, so I would suggest looking into strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, or new rules of lifting for woman. You do not need a trainer just study up on proper form of the big compound movements and then execute them. You can find videos on you tube.

Just pick a program, stay with it, and be consistent with your logging, and training.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    when I did my bulk I ate a ton of potatoes and sweet potatoes...like 2 or 3 per day...and pasta with a good bolognese.

mmmm bolognese.

A question, wolfman (since you're one of the most knowledgeable guys on here): why carbs and not fats for a bulk? I've never *tried* to gain weight. Going on the pill was the easiest way for me to bulk lol.

More muscle
    http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2012/03/if-you-go-high-carb-you-better-go.html
    and an experiment based on this study
    https://www.facebook.com/gregory.nuckols/posts/10152979840218779:0
    "1) His macros are 800g of carbohydrate, 300g of protein, and as little fat as possible. Generally around 30g per day. (inspired by this study, but with higher protein and an even more skewed carb:fat ratio - http://www.cabdirect.org/…/20113206370.html;jsessionid=19A3…)"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

mmmm bolognese.

More muscle
    http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2012/03/if-you-go-high-carb-you-better-go.html
    and an experiment based on this study
    https://www.facebook.com/gregory.nuckols/posts/10152979840218779:0

thanks!
  • ndj1979
    Options

ok, a few things...

1. Carbs = carbs, and if you want to gain muscle you are going to need to get the majority of your calories from carbs.
    2. you are not just going to gain only muscle. If you gain 5 pounds then 2.5 will be muscle and 2.5 will be fat. You need to accept that and there is no way around it.
    3. your macro setting should be .65 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and the rest in carbs.
    4. look into one of the programs that I listed, select it, and run it.
    5. Increase your calories to 250 over maintenance, this will put you at .5 per week gain, and will minimize fat gain.
    6. ditch the good food/bad food mentality. No food is bad in the context of an overall diet that hits micro/macors. And when bulking calories are king and you are going to have a hard time getting into a surplus on a diet of fish, chicken, and vegetables.
  • ahayes7768
    Options

mmmm bolognese.

first and foremost you want carbs for the energy you need to really put in the work volume and progressively overload the body...beyond that, the insulin response is conducive to growth.

maybe eat some fruit...

it's sounds more like you want to do a recomp...which is slow...you don't get 6 packs in a few months; that's not how it works. really, you should be eating a healthy and balanced diet at or maybe slightly less than maintenance calories and hitting the weight room with some solid programming...look at programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves...these are good all around fitness/lifting programs...if you want to get really really strong, look to programs like Stronglifts 5x5.

when you re-comp, basically you will add a little muscle and lose a little fat...very, very slowly. this is why people tend more towards cutting and bulking cycles.

to bulk is to put on muscle mass which requires a surplus of energy...i.e. more calories than your body would need to maintain weight...when you eat at a surplus and do nothing, you get fat...when you eat at a surplus and hit the weight room hard, you put on some solid muscle (along with some fat).

Hey lol that's what I've been doing and not even realizing it lol. I've already been doing it a few months (that's why I said a few months) however I didn't realize the process was so longand assumed I was doing something wrong so a few days ago I changed my goals on here to gain a half a pound a week which I will now be changing back. Also im a cardio freak i jog everyday and hit the weights 5 times a week will that slow any muscle growth down? Again please excuse my ignorance. Also im a very healthy eater already I'm just not exactly sure a good prentage of carbs/fats/ and proteins I need.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

mmmm bolognese.

maybe eat some fruit...

Hey lol that's what I've been doing and not even realizing it lol. I've already been doing it a few months (that's why I said a few months) however I didn't realize the process was so longand assumed I was doing something wrong so a few days ago I changed my goals on here to gain a half a pound a week which I will now be changing back. Also im a cardio freak i jog everyday and hit the weights 5 times a week will that slow any muscle growth down? Again please excuse my ignorance. Also im a very healthy eater already I'm just not exactly sure a good prentage of carbs/fats/ and proteins I need.

Cardio won't necessarily slow down muscle gains, you just have to eat enough to compensate for the calorie burns. Essentially more cardio = more calories needed. It's up to you to find the balance of how much cardio you want to do vs. how much food you're willing to eat.
  • ahayes7768
    Options
    Well I've been lifting a few months (although considering I knew nothing about it when I started and googled most of my wrong info) I would say beginner is an understatement lol. I will do what was suggested of me from ndj the first time. (Setting my goals to lose 0.5 a week ) my only problem with that is I have a hard time meeting my goals now and I'm scared ill lose more then that a week. I don't eat beef or pork (makes me ill as I was a vegetarian for 5 years and got back into eating somw chicken amd fish but last time I tried to eat some beef I was in the bathroom sick all night).
    I will also look into the programs suggested to me. I've noticed my whole body is actually pretty tight and lean all except my tummy whichisnt big but would like it too look as good as the rest of me lol. THANK YOU! And I will be adding some of you in case i get any other dumb ideas in my head that i need to be stopped from doing ! You guys are awesome