Walking

Options
Is walking effective cardio? I understand that I would have to walk a longer distance to get a good burn, but I've been told by a few people that because my HR isn't really high during a walk, it shouldn't really be viewed as my form of cardio. I just want to know if anyone here has had positive results with power walking?

Replies

• rusty2345
    rusty2345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes u can have weight loss power walking with change in calorie intake.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. I ran a lot last year but have been mostly walking for my cardio this year. I walk outside when possible and over the winter when I walked on a treadmill I followed this plan.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Walking is great for cardiovascular health.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    After getting my Fitbit I started power walking. After 2 months of power walking and NO running I was able to run my first 5k. There's no way I could have run it if not for the walking I did in the two months prior.

Now I mostly run.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It is much more effective than sitting on the couch!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Walking at a leisurely pace is good in that it gets you up and moving (rather than sedentary). For cardio fitness, you would have to walk at a brisk pace that raises your heart rate and keeps it elevated, or so I understand. Power walking can be just about as brisk as slow jogging.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Walking at a leisurely pace is good in that it gets you up and moving (rather than sedentary). For cardio fitness, you would have to walk at a brisk pace that raises your heart rate and keeps it elevated, or so I understand. Power walking can be just about as brisk as slow jogging.

Yep, I'm a power walker and I pass a few joggers on the track. It's great for heart-health, but high incline intervals on the treadmill really give you a good workout. Don't hold onto the rails and really push yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    FarrahnE wrote: »
    Is walking effective cardio? I understand that I would have to walk a longer distance to get a good burn, but I've been told by a few people that because my HR isn't really high during a walk, it shouldn't really be viewed as my form of cardio. I just want to know if anyone here has had positive results with power walking?

I believe @earlnabby has lost over 100 pounds from walking.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Powerwalking is my main form of exercise now,...i love it, especially as i do it outdoors!
    When i was losing weight i used to walk 4-4.5 miles (50-60 mins) 5 times a week. Now i'm maintaining, i've cut it down to 3 miles, but it has so many health benefits and still burns a few extra calories.
    You're also less likely to have any injuries with walking (as opposed to jogging or running, where i always managed to twist my ankle or something).
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    They say you burn as many calories walking a mile as you do running a mile. Whether or not its a cardio activity would depend on your exertion level. Perhaps buy a FitBit or other device for help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    It is much more effective than sitting on the couch!

Amen!

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I walked 110 miles in May and 117 miles in June. 60+ pounds lost this year and not really slowing down. I do a bit of strength training, but most of my exercise is walking. And yes, my cardio health is definitely improved. Resting heart rate began 70-72 and is now in the mid 50s!
  • nikkithommen
    nikkithommen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting story that was recently aired on NPR about the effectiveness of walking: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/06/23/416482690/take-a-hike-to-do-your-heart-and-spirit-good
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    You're also less likely to have any injuries with walking (as opposed to jogging or running, where i always managed to twist my ankle or something).

Do you know how many times I've tripped on the sidewalk and ended up bleeding from just walking?

But walking is great exercise and helped me lose over 100 lbs.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    FarrahnE wrote: »

I believe @earlnabby has lost over 100 pounds from walking.

Walking, swimming, and a water aerobics class; but mostly walking:
    58841349.png

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    They say you burn as many calories walking a mile as you do running a mile. Whether or not its a cardio activity would depend on your exertion level. Perhaps buy a FitBit or other device for help.

I don't think that's the case. I understand that it burns more calories to run, because when you run you have periods when both feet leave the ground.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Do you know how many times I've tripped on the sidewalk and ended up bleeding from just walking?
    Really? That's unfortunate.
    I Powerwalk in my local park (smooth pathway/some grassy areas), so i guess that makes a diffrerence.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had been doing short runs for awhile, but have an old injury to my foot that's acting up, so I'm back to walking. Anything that gets me moving is good in my book, so I think it's worth it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I don't think that's the case. I understand that it burns more calories to run, because when you run you have periods when both feet leave the ground.

Actually, they are very close. Close enough to not make much of a difference. With my stats, walking a mile at 3 mph will burn 131 calories and running 6 mph will burn 145

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

This. Our bodies are pretty efficient at walking. Running involves launches and landings that require energy expenditures that walking doesn't. Still, yeah, it beats sitting on the couch. I walked while losing 112 pounds and just started jogging in maintenance.