Weight loss scams and how to spot them

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So you're saying the Dormatron is a scam?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    "set it to eleven" lol
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's being sold by It Works now. Fat can ruin a romantic cruise, ya know.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Here is a list of warning signs that should alert you that a product is too good to be true:

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/694326

Warning signs

The weight loss scheme or product:
    • lacks scientific evidence or demonstrated links between the result and the effects of the program, food, supplement, gadget or process being promoted
    • is sold outside normal commercial distribution channels. For example, through the internet, by unqualified individuals or mail order advertisements

Can you name any products/diets that fall under these categories?

MyFitnessPal ? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25402403 "After 6 months, weight change was minimal, with no difference between groups".

"CONCLUSION:

Smartphone apps for weight loss may be useful for persons who are ready to self-monitor calories, but introducing a smartphone app is unlikely to produce substantial weight change for most patients."

oops.
    ariamythe wrote: »
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Except that MFP isn't a marketed weight loss product.

"Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily." from web site. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/learn_more etc.

Again: it's a tool used for tracking calories, offered for free. From your cited study:

"Compared with patients in the control group, those in the intervention group increased use of a personal calorie goal (mean between-group difference, 2.0 d/wk [CI, 1.1 to 2.9 d/wk]; P < 0.001), although other self-reported behaviors did not differ between groups. Most users reported high satisfaction with MyFitnessPal, but logins decreased sharply after the first month."

Other behaviors did not change; use declined sharply after the first month; nothing was apparently monitored but self-reported "use of a personal calorie goal". That's not a very impressive study. I definitely agree with its conclusions: if you hand a random person an app and then just let them use it or not as they see fit, you're not likely to get a high success rate. But how is that in any way helpful data?

Give me a study that considers what the people are actually eating with a diet plan, with a group using MFP regularly to log calories and a control who does not track (or tracks with a traditinal paper method), and I will give the study due consideration. But a study that simply says, "Give 'em an app and they don't do much with it" doesn't impress.

Gee, I guess if "not using it" counts as it not working, then school should be ignored because you won't learn anything if you don't go to it, so might as well not even start.

:smile: Indeed.

And cameras don't take photos because I don't push the button.

And water doesn't clean things because I haven't washed my car.

• Orphia
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    welldone.gif

-"jumpstart"
    -Detox/ cleanse
    - Your friends are selling it via facebook

:smiley: Very good. Thanks.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If it involves the amputation of a limb.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Any time that you see a commercial or magazine ad and there is a bunch of super fine print that you can barely read, should be an immediate red flag! Especially when you get a chance to read it and they mention that the participants exercised and were on a low calorie diet while taking the product...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Add: Has been featured on the Dr. Oz show.

+1
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just bumping useful posts. Nothing to see here...

oXKE9IH.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Add: Has been featured on the Dr. Oz show.

+1
    Gotta hedge on that one though: the Dr. Oz blogs are given a pass. Several of my favorite apps are there.

http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/5-mobile-apps-to-help-you-achieve-21st-century-wellness
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This needs immediate favored/most helpful thread status.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    One Main give-away (usually indicates an MLM)

The seller will post up about how great their weight loss programme is but you have to PM them for more info....
  • Orphia
    Options
    Bumping with this awesome list from @HippySkoppy
    Dear Op:

Words/Proclamations that will help show you how to Spot a Weight Loss Scam Woo

Appearing in no particular order of importance:

[*] BOOSTS YOUR METABOLISM
    [*] RESET YOUR METABOLISM
    [*] CURES *insert random opposing ailments and feels*
    [*] Insert credit card number here
    [*] Dr OZ
    [*] Claims that "THEY" (whoever "They" are) have tried to keep this fat burning miracle formula a secret from the people
    [*] MIRACULOUS/UNIQUE
    [*] Individual results may vary
    [*] Pic of some random with a newspaper/magazine in their hands followed by their testimonial....
    [*] Game Changing
    [*] Fat Burning
    [*] Like no other
    [*] Permanent
    [*] No need to count calories
    [*] Exclusive Diet Plan
    [*] No credible studies to show the veracity of their claims
    [*] Works only in conjunction with diet and exercise
    [*] EXTREME
    [*] RIPPED - *number of days*
    [*] FAST - *ditto*
    [*] SHREDDED - *and again*
    [*] Drastic changes in as little as *insert number* Days
    [*] Celebrity endorsement *run - Singing La La La, loudly if you see a Kardashian with a bottle/pill of something in their hands*
    [*] Guaranteed to work
    [*] First shipment FREE......
    [*] after which a new shipment will be ordered for you every month.....even when you don't want the damn thing anymore, have tried to cancel the order but the phone doesn't work (or you can't even find a number)...your e-mails languish in limbo and they are NEVER replied to.....

Whew that's me done....I just KNOW others would know many more and I hope they chime in with examples of their own.

OP - I hope you don't feel I am being unkind here with this list....I am trying to inject a bit of humour.

I hope to that my input and other responders here will help you to save your money. These things come and go all the time and scammers will go to incredible lengths to lie to genuine people, in an effort to line their own pockets. >:)

Believe me I have fallen victim to the too good to be true lies myself in the past and many on MFP can relate to that experience themselves.

Please don't buy into this pixie dust....do the CICO...it's free. Weigh and log everything you eat. Eat at a sensible deficit and eat foods you enjoy, exercise for your health....have patience.

All the best.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Zombie !
  • Orphia
    Options
    Zombie !

Nah, there's plenty of life in it left. :wink:
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Not a zombie thread, this should be a sticky.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Zombie !

Did someone include - no need to count calories ??????

So basically before calorie counting became popular all diets were scams ?? Or anyone now eating sensibly without the aid of food scales and a diary counting calories is following a scam diet!

That's good to know!