What are the cup measurements here?

Options
hhsakib
hhsakib Posts: 1 Member
Hey! I'm new here! So I see everything is listed on a serving size based on a cup. Well, where I come from you can have a cup of 50ml serving to 300ml serving. So is MFP taking a standard measurement here? I am having a tough time measuring my food intake.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Don't measure your food, weigh it.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Definitely weigh it. I prefer grams, but will convert to ounces if I can not find a listing with grams.
  • PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For liquids such as oil weighing is not practical. A US cup =236.588ml.
  • ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Error4 wrote: »

True, but normally you're not adding a cup of oil, so I'm guessing (hoping maybe?) that the tsp/tbsp conversions are a bit easier.

OP, as far as the cups are concerned, I agree with the others that weighing is the easiest way to make sure that you're logging what you think you're logging. It's a lot easier to over or under fill a measuring cup than go wrong on the scale measurements.

I believe that the cups listed are likely US "legal" cups, mainly because it seems like several of the entries I've seen are USDA entries.

1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres
    = 16 international tablespoons
    = 12 Australian tablespoons
    ≈ 8.12 U.S. customary fluid ounces
    ≈ 8.45 imperial fluid ounces
    Source: Wikipedia
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Error4 wrote: »

I weight my oil personally. I weight the container, pour out what I need, and then weight the container again. USDA lists calories of oil by gram.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Between a C & a D at the moment. Probably won't go shopping until I'm down 10 more lbs or so...
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    240 mL is the standard liquid cup equivalent. Can also be used for very small amounts of dry items, mainly spices, of < 2 tablespoons.

For reference, ~ 14.8 mL per TBS.

When practical, I always measure in g or oz, even for liquids/sauces. For instance, when eating pasta, I put my bowl/plate on the scale, tare, and then pour til I hit the g weight serving size listed on the container. If its not listed, I use standard conversion rates. Thats ~ 60g/.25 cups
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Between a C & a D at the moment. Probably won't go shopping until I'm down 10 more lbs or so...

G here.

*that's totally what I thought this thread was about, too.