Have a home workout room?

Options

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Oh I guess I only have a pic up of half of it... it's an add on that runs the length of the house, very long! lots of room!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Stupid coastal area life where you can't have a basement because water table :pensive:

I just move my living room coffee table out of the way with my hulk-man-strength to do my P90x3 routine in the morning.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Oh I guess I only have a pic up of half of it... it's an add on that runs the length of the house, very long! lots of room!
    Your profile is viewable by friends only!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Well that's rude of me! Its not an exciting picture of it, I think it was mostly of the fireplace this winter when it was freezing but I was still going to go workout early.ri716s55enpw.jpg
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    Does anyone have a home workout room that they want to share pictures of? I am in the market to make one of my spare bedrooms into one and need inspiration. Thanks

I wish I had a room or basement like the above. I do have a small garage and condo with no basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-2_Xwtc6Sg

Just goofing around really. I have since repaired the second-hand bar and decluttered the garage some, and bought another 300 lbs of plates. More to do configure this garage into a gym - like build a platform for one.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Here's my setup. Occupies about a quarter of our family room. Will eventually move it to the garage, so it's out of the way.

jv03cfihs01r.jpg
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We don't have kids, so when we finished our basement, we made a dedicated exercise room. The treadmill is behind the viewpoint of the photographer. The elliptical was recently sold.

zgk7bicj9ixq.jpg
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the pictures and ideas!
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For those who have posted pictures, would any of you mind providing estimates of roughly how much money you have invested in your home gyms? I would love have a home gym some day when we buy a house, just curious how much if an investment they can be.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Okay here is mine, lol! The rainbow carpet has high impact mat foam stuff underneath it, for core work and yoga. I use the Xmas lights because full on blaring lights really distracts and irritates me on my elliptical runs for some reason. This is in my basement that I rent from my sister, it's unfinished but I hang fabric and put carpets everywhere. I'd like to add a weight rack too, eventually :)dll47c0etlx8.jpg
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    guppy1697 wrote: »
    For those who have posted pictures, would any of you mind providing estimates of roughly how much money you have invested in your home gyms? I would love have a home gym some day when we buy a house, just curious how much if an investment they can be.

I got the squat stand and the first Oly bar (bearing) for $30.00.

Second Oly Bar and 115 lbs for $80.

I bought an additional 315 lbs for $80.

Upfront total: $190.

I powerlift, so I need heavy. Thanks to Goodwill and Craigslist, I've found pretty good deals, like that last 315 lbs where - I got four 45 lbs plates at once!

I still have more to put into it (like a deadlifting platform) and a big honking stereo, but its a good start.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

My pictures are about $6k worth of equipment. Lots of deals from craigslist, especially all the plates which I bought for about 30-50 cents per pound. This also includes the floor which is horse stall mats (about $600 worth). Does NOT include the TV and stereo.

There are some specialty things which added a lot of cost though. Texas deadlift bar was $450 or so by itself, and the Rogue rack is a bit overkill (almost $1k).

I calculated that I'd pay for itself in about 5 years between gym fees and gas costs driving back and forth. Which would be great except I keep buying more things!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Mine is an exerbike in my bedroom, a 10-pound kettlebell and two five-pound weights in the living room, and an unassembled crunch machine or whatever you call it somewhere in the house. The Y is a lot cheaper in the long run.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,113 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My husband is nearing completion of ours ... in the basement/garage.

I haven't posted a picture yet because it isn't finished yet, but so far the only things set up and useable are our fluid trainers for our bicycles and my husband's rollers ... oh, and the TV.

I got my fluid trainer from Nashbar on special for about $150 back in 2003 or so, and it has more than paid for itself with the hours I've used it.
    Then we picked up another fluid trainer from Anaconda for about the same price in 2010. I used it a bit while my other one was in storage, and the idea is that my husband and I will be able to ride together on dark, damp, and cold evenings.

And I'm not sure what my husband paid for his rollers, but he got them in 2007 or 2008 before we were married.
    Rollers are like these, if you're not familiar with them. Apparently they provide a very road-like ride ... but to me, I just envision crashing. :smiley: But he likes them.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&orderBy=4&searchTerm=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=16&categoryId=204672&metaData=

We're both into cycling so being able to cycle indoors on dark, damp, and cold evenings was a significant part of our setup.

We got a weight set from Big W in about 2011. I don't remember how much it was, but I don't think it was any more than $100. We've added a few bits and pieces to it since then (maybe another $50 worth), and may add more once we've got everything set up. That's the thing, you can start with something relatively inexpensive, and then add to it as necessary.

And I got a weight bench for maybe $100 about a decade ago, and it has been fairly regularly used. I don't remember exactly when I got it or what I paid, but I doubt it would have cost more than that. It and the weights will be set up in our little home gym soon.

We are also debating about a rowing machine and treadmill. We've been out pricing them, but will wait until the area is ready before we do anything about it.

The thing is, we had a gym membership for a year, and it cost us nearly $2000 for the two of us. We figure if we end up spending about $2000 on a good rowing machine, that's one year of a gym membership ... and if we end up spending about $2000 on a good treadmill, that's a second year of a gym membership. But the two pieces of equipment should last longer than that!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Mine is an exerbike in my bedroom, a 10-pound kettlebell and two five-pound weights in the living room, and an unassembled crunch machine or whatever you call it somewhere in the house. The Y is a lot cheaper in the long run.

It wouldn't be for me! $90+ per month membership.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    final.jpg
  • JohnBarth
    Options
    Via Craigslist, I found a bench and 300 pounds of weights for a steal. I added some 25 pound plates and a curl bar from Play it Again Sports for less than $100. I added another 200 pounds of weights, again found on Craigslist for a steal. Treadmill was of good quality, $1500 new. This year, I added a new rack and bench for about $600. Dumbbells were about $400. I've probably got about $3k in our home gym.

Treadmill crossed 2500 miles recently, so I think it's at least been somewhat useful. :-)
  • JohnBarth
    Options
    final.jpg

I love that plate storage rack! I may need to build something like that.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My husband is nearing completion of ours ... in the basement/garage.

I haven't posted a picture yet because it isn't finished yet, but so far the only things set up and useable are our fluid trainers for our bicycles and my husband's rollers ... oh, and the TV.

I got my fluid trainer from Nashbar on special for about $150 back in 2003 or so, and it has more than paid for itself with the hours I've used it.
    Then we picked up another fluid trainer from Anaconda for about the same price in 2010. I used it a bit while my other one was in storage, and the idea is that my husband and I will be able to ride together on dark, damp, and cold evenings.

And I'm not sure what my husband paid for his rollers, but he got them in 2007 or 2008 before we were married.
    Rollers are like these, if you're not familiar with them. Apparently they provide a very road-like ride ... but to me, I just envision crashing. :smiley: But he likes them.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&orderBy=4&searchTerm=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=16&categoryId=204672&metaData=

We're both into cycling so being able to cycle indoors on dark, damp, and cold evenings was a significant part of our setup.

Thank you for this post! I'd never heard of fluid trainers (or rollers) before. An appealing option, perhaps, for someone like me who lives in an apartment. If I ever learn how to ride a bike, it would make much more sense to have a bike + trainer than a bike + other home cardio equipment.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I plan to put one in an empty shed my family owns just need to put in some insulation, a window unit (it gets HOT where I live,) run some kind of eletricity, and cover the floor with mats. After that it's to Craigslist for a heavy bag and a speed bag so I can practice my striking maybe a grapple bag at some point and move the old treadmill in for rainydays.