Can't lose the weight

Options
hi I'm working out every night I eat three good meals a day but have stopped losing weight any ideas to help would be great thanks x

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck for? Are you counting your calories accurately (using a food scale to weigh everything)? Do you eat back your exercise calories? Can you open your diary?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Start with the basics. My MFP How To:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best forum posts such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Either you are overeating or not burning enough or both.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    Either you are overeating or not burning enough or both.

Or being impatient, or unlucky with fluctuations. She doesn't mention how long she's been stuck for - if it's only been a week, she could well be eating in a deficit, but of course weight loss isn't linear!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This chart created by @lemonlionheart may help:

a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

Here's a great post about keeping a food diary that might offer some insight: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10191216/the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-to-lose-weight

If you still have questions, please ask.
  • johnvicki20
    johnvicki20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Iv been doing it for 9 weeks and lost 11lb it's only been the last 2 weeks where I haven't lost I haven't gain tho so was just wondering why and if there's anything I can do to start losing again thanks for ur replies x
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are eating more than you think you are.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Iv been doing it for 9 weeks and lost 11lb it's only been the last 2 weeks where I haven't lost I haven't gain tho so was just wondering why and if there's anything I can do to start losing again thanks for ur replies x

11 pounds in 9 weeks is great. Weight loss isn't linear, so don't freak out if you don't see a loss every week.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Sounds like it might be time to change your exercise routine. Our bodies are really good at adjusting to the stresses we put on them, so what was hard becomes easy and as such we don't need to spend any / or as many calories to get through the same routine.
  • johnvicki20
    johnvicki20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have just bought new workout DVDs yesterday hopefully they will do the trick
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »

Sounds like it might be time to change your exercise routine. Our bodies are really good at adjusting to the stresses we put on them, so what was hard becomes easy and as such we don't need to spend any / or as many calories to get through the same routine.
    If that's really the difference, his deficit is way too small.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Tony Horton thanks you for promoting his fitness "model"
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have just bought new workout DVDs yesterday hopefully they will do the trick

Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Peruse that flow chart.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Changing an exercise routine is not likely to help unless there's a larger calorie burn involved.
  • i6Shot
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Who the hell is Tony Horton?
  • i6Shot
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Changing an exercise routine is not likely to help unless there's a larger calorie burn involved.

If you do the same routine, using the same muscles every week the body adapts. If you change the routine and force the body to use different muscles you're creating new neuromuscular pathways, thus stressing the body in a new way. This by itself will help create more calorie burn.

I understand what you are saying though, it all depends on the effort exerted during the exercise routine. It just sounds to me that being on the same workout plan for 9 weeks is too long. Gotta keep your body guessing.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A guy who has made a healthy living deceiving people into believing muscle confusion elevates fitness. 9 weeks is nowhere long enough to max out the benefits of an exercise program.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What does I eat 3 good meals a day mean? Are you in a deficit?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Lol. Have to keep the muscles confused. And don't forget to breathe. (My personal favorite advice out of the P90X series).
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    11 lbs is a lot - perhaps your body is adjusting. Check you measurements because you may be reducing but not loosing weight - muscle is heavier also. Try to concentrate on being healthy and carefully measuring food