Vacation rant

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Day 3 into my vacation and I'm over it! Mediocre breakfast without low calorie and filling options, so I eat too much crap food because I'm starving... Spending too much time finding a restaurant that, if I'm lucky, have side salads instead of fries (already so sick of side salads) and more than burgers, sandwiches and salads... Trying something I've been craving and wasting 450 calories on a mediocre sodium bomb...

Gosh. How do people do it? I'm not that picky but we're walking a lot and I've been hungry so grilled chicken and salad just doesn't cut it (and seriously.. SICK OF SALADS).

Ok rant over. At least my dessert at lunch was good, but that's 500 calories out of all I ate today...

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Where are you on vacation?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a grocery store? Even if I don't have a refrigerator, I like to get whole wheat bread and peanut butter, rice cakes, fruit, etc. to keep on hand for breakfast/lunch/snacks. That helps a lot.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I really cannot talk either. I have been chasing my 3 yo around the pool for 90 minutes a day and walking a couple of miles, so since I eat back calories it has not been that bad provided I stay away from the swim bar, and I try to eat breakfast and lunch in the room (ham & peanut butter sandwichs). That way I have a ton of points for dinner. But in the end I do rationalize that I am on vacation, and one week by itself is not going to kill me. Though I will say that I am not saying that I eat complete junk, just that I do not kill myself over every single decision this week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    where are you vacationing? I always seek out restaurants that serve whatever the local fare is. as we are land locked here in NM, much of our vacationing is done in coastal areas...so I tend to eat a lot of fish and stuff.

also, we tend to use VRBO and other sites to find vacation condo rentals, as staying in an actual hotel room with my 3 y.o. and 5 y.o. is not my idea of a holiday...we can usually find something in the neighborhood of the price of a decent motel in the area and we get a full kitchen and at least one bedroom (2 is preferable but can also be more difficult to find at price point) so that we can have some living space and hang out when the kids go to bed.

Not only do we get some privacy and peace and quiet from the kids, we can make meals at "home"...usually breakfast in, lunch out, and dinner in...we try to go out for at least one or two dinners though...but it's tough with the kids...they do much better at lunch. Every place we've stayed so far also has a small yard of some kind for the kids to play and a BBQ which I use nightly for dinners.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Isn't vacation synonymous with diet break or is that just me?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

This. and This again!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Boston then going to Maine. We have two kids, including a very crabby girl who hates walking though so options are limited, as we can't move the car until we leave in 3 days, and finding things they will eat is tough... We use cheap hotels with free breakfast to save money. I don't like staying in one place too long or I get bored.. and really wanted to do this trip. Honestly next year I think we will be staying home... just very frustrating.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Boston then going to Maine. We have two kids, including a very crabby girl who hates walking though so options are limited, as we can't move the car until we leave in 3 days, and finding things they will eat is tough... We use cheap hotels with free breakfast to save money. I don't like staying in one place too long or I get bored.. and really wanted to do this trip. Honestly next year I think we will be staying home... just very frustrating.

That's probably your best bet.
  • Francl27
    Options

The problem is that I don't actually want fries! I'm all for blowing my calories on dessert or dishes I've been craving but not on average fries or fried foods or sandwiches full of mayo with mediocre bread.. and it's frustrating when the dish isn't even that good.

I might be a food snob.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Don't most places have grilled proteins on their menu? Ask if they have plain grilled chicken/salmon/shrimp. Skip the sauces/glaze.

If not that, order a sirloin steak, ask for no butter.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Vacation can sometimes be the worst. I backpacked through part of Europe once and broke down several times because vegetarian food isn't normal and finding it while traveling was impossible. I lived off bread in France and remember crying uncontrollably cause I couldn't eat another bread and cheese sandwich. Eventually made it to a country where veggies and meat weren't combined!! It doesn't last forever and plan when you can. I now go to grocery stores and actually buy food when traveling instead of relying on restaurants and street vendors. PB&J, yogurt, hummus, veggies. Good luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

The problem is that I don't actually want fries! I'm all for blowing my calories on dessert or dishes I've been craving but not on average fries or fried foods or sandwiches full of mayo with mediocre bread.. and it's frustrating when the dish isn't even that good.

I might be a food snob.

If you're a food snob go to a nice restaurant and treat yourself.
  • R2Detoo
    R2Detoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I imagine Maine & Boston would have great places to eat! I mean isn't Maine known for its lobsters? I'd suggest Yelping some new restaurants around the area that are walking distance so you can enjoy.

But yeah, my parents used to always take me to continental breakfasts at Motel 8 etc when I was a kid so I feel your pain. MMM the taste of stale bagels & weird reheated muffins in the morning.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You're honestly saying that in a city like Boston, you can't find a healthy, high quality restaurant to eat at?

Really?

Get the yelp app. Look for nearby restaurants. And get uber while you're at it, and you can expand your search area a little since their car service will take you places for cheap.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

I might be a food snob.

I hear you can make requests at restaurants to swap foods for other similar foods or ask them to hold certain foods you may dislike.

Or maybe a self-catering holiday would be better. If rats can learn about their previous mistakes I'm sure humans can too.

Oh, wait...didn't you post something similar about your last vacation?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    You're honestly saying that in a city like Boston, you can't find a healthy, high quality restaurant to eat at?

Really?

Get the yelp app. Look for nearby restaurants. And get uber while you're at it, and you can expand your search area a little since their car service will take you places for cheap.

All of this.

We stayed outside of the city and took public transit into the city all the time. We went everywhere. Our hotel even had a shuttle to the nearest train station.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you are going to let your diet determine where you vacation or if you even do????

Boston has some pretty good restaurants and I am sure you could get some grilled fish or scallops somewhere…as I am from that area...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I might be a food snob.

don't eat the fries then …

or go somewhere with above average meals...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    tbh I am surprised you even got a "mediocre breakfast" for free at a cheap hotel, just sayin'
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

the crab apple doesn't fall far from the crab tree, I guess.
This discussion has been closed.