30 somethings with thyroid issues

Options
2»

Replies

• reinventingjessica
    reinventingjessica Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 31, have been treated for hypothyroidism for a few years now...my weight loss sped up once I was finally put on Armour back in 2011, but slowed down after a few months. I'm looking to lose another 90lbs.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've tried logging before, but last time it took about 6 weeks to lose one pound! It felt like if I slipped up once, then it came right back. This time it took 2 weeks to lose a pound, so maybe I'll be able to stick with it. I have about 40 pounds to lose.

A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. And weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." Just keep logging, and look for a downward trend.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    37 here, recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My numbers showed Hypo so I just started Armour Thyroid about 2 months ago. I'm getting another blood test this next weekend. This whole diagnosis is quite new and I'm still trying to understand what it means and what changes need to be made.

I've tried logging before, but last time it took about 6 weeks to lose one pound! It felt like if I slipped up once, then it came right back. This time it took 2 weeks to lose a pound, so maybe I'll be able to stick with it. I have about 40 pounds to lose.

Honestly I would be more concerned if the weight came off fast as this is just water/glycogen weight. When you think of the math behind it working it takes ~500kcal/day deficit to lose a lb of fat a week. For petite people operating in such a deficit is going to be unhealthy.

Don't get discouraged and think marathon, focusing on the positive gains - how you feel, body composition, etc. The weight will come off, but think of it as an after effect of you overall improving wellness.
  • Adka0726
    Adka0726 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Adka0726 wrote: »
    I've tried everything you can think of to lose weight. I'm not giving up and I'm looking to see what has help others to lose weight. My goal is 30 pounds..help... any suggestions. ...

Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Adka0726 wrote: »
    I've tried everything you can think of to lose weight. I'm not giving up and I'm looking to see what has help others to lose weight. My goal is 30 pounds..help... any suggestions. ...

Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Thank you. I will try anything.
  • esmith145
    esmith145 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 and I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism yesterday and started on my meds. What do I have to expect? I only suggested I get tested bc how I gained so much weight in just a few months and since I've been changing everything I eat and doing more physical activity since then but I'm not sure what to expect with this change everyone says so many different things
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    esmith145 wrote: »
    I'm 18 and I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism...

Never mind... she posted this in a new thread here.
  • JackieWalks
    JackieWalks Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    JuBu82 wrote: »
    I'm looking for fitness friends. I'm 32 f and have a hypothyroid. I've got 50+ pounds to lose and need motivation and support. I will definitely do the same for you! Let's go on this journey together
    Iam 31 and have had hypo for about 3/4 years. I get my levels checked every 3 months, feel free to add me!