Vacation rant

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    they don't have eggs at this hotel …or whole wheat toast and yogurt???
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    You're honestly saying that in a city like Boston, you can't find a healthy, high quality restaurant to eat at?

Really?

Get the yelp app. Look for nearby restaurants. And get uber while you're at it, and you can expand your search area a little since their car service will take you places for cheap.

We're just out of Boston with kids who hate walking and my husband doesn't like making plans so I can't always spend 20 minutes looking at restaurants when everyone is getting hungry (and forget walking 10 minutes out of the way). The place we went to tonight had good reviews on Yelp... not sure why. At lunch I gave up searching after 5 minutes and the only substitution was yet another side salad.

Believe me if we didn't have the kids I would have had everything planned.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Boston then going to Maine. We have two kids, including a very crabby girl who hates walking though so options are limited, as we can't move the car until we leave in 3 days, and finding things they will eat is tough... We use cheap hotels with free breakfast to save money. I don't like staying in one place too long or I get bored.. and really wanted to do this trip. Honestly next year I think we will be staying home... just very frustrating.

the crab apple doesn't fall from the crab tree, I guess.

Crabs are a healthy option. Maybe the OP could just eat her daughter?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You're honestly saying that in a city like Boston, you can't find a healthy, high quality restaurant to eat at?

Really?

Get the yelp app. Look for nearby restaurants. And get uber while you're at it, and you can expand your search area a little since their car service will take you places for cheap.

We're just out of Boston with kids who hate walking and my husband doesn't like making plans so I can't always spend 20 minutes looking at restaurants when everyone is getting hungry (and forget walking 10 minutes out of the way). The place we went to tonight had good reviews on Yelp... not sure why. At lunch I gave up searching after 5 minutes and the only substitution was yet another side salad.

Kids go to bed early. Start planning tomorrow tonight.
    TripAdvisor is another good one. You can check menus ahead of time.
  • Francl27
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Egg products. Wheat toast. 100 calorie yogurt with 12g of sugar and 4g of protein. Even the oatmeal is nasty.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Really?

You get out of here with your logic! Can't a girl just rant and make excuses in peace around here?!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Really?

Well, I guess you're stuck with a horrible vacation because I have no advice for you.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Egg products. Wheat toast. 100 calorie yogurt with 12g of sugar and 4g of protein. Even the oatmeal is nasty.

What's wrong with eggs, toast and yogurt???
  • Francl27
    Options

Really?

You get out of here with your logic! Can't a girl just rant and make excuses in peace around here?!

I can't plan anything. God knows when my kids will actually be hungry and when we'll be when they are. Maybe I should have titled this 'vacationing with kids when watching your diet sucks'. But everyone doesn't have a daughter who screams in the street that she's not hungry and won't eat and wants to go back to the hotel either (the main reason of my frustration really and why I'm thinking I'll stay home next year).

But it was a rant. You were warned :p
  • LoraF83
    Options
    All this time spent on this thread could have been used to search for restaurants and transportation.

But whatever.
  • Francl27
    Options
    All this time spent on this thread could have been used to search for restaurants and transportation.

But whatever.

Pointless for reason described above.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I just was on vacation and decided to eat and drink to my heart's content. I gained 2.5lbs - likely sodium retention - because I didn't eat in excess and we walked nonstop. If you can't do that, easy swaps are to ask for egg whites and little to no cheese on omelettes or scrambles, burgers with lettuce wraps, and lean meats with double veg instead of fries/potatoes/rice/pasta. Especially in the Boston area, they have so many options!
  • Francl27
    Options

Egg 'product' and low protein yogurt. I love eggs but that was nasty and I typically don't waste calories on regular fruit yogurt. But maybe it will be enough if I'm not starving tomorrow.
  • LoraF83
    Options

But whatever.

Pointless for reason described above.

Ok.

Well, like I said. I have no advice.
  • Francl27
    edited July 2015
    Options

Really?

Well, I guess you're stuck with a horrible vacation because I have no advice for you.

Hence the rant. I wasn't asking for advice, although I appreciate it, but I wasted hours online trying to plan things for nothing... so I'm ranting. Don't mind me I guess... was just hoping to find people who can relate.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

Really?

I can't plan anything. God knows when my kids will actually be hungry and when we'll be when they are. Maybe I should have titled this 'vacationing with kids when watching your diet sucks'. But everyone doesn't have a daughter who screams in the street that she's not hungry and won't eat and wants to go back to the hotel either (the main reason of my frustration really and why I'm thinking I'll stay home next year).

But it was a rant. You were warned :p

I have a very picky eater for a daughter. Eventually she decided to eat where I eat or not eat . she still does it from time to time choosing not to eat. Lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Really?

Hence the rant. I wasn't asking for advice, although I appreciate it, but I wasted hours online trying to plan things for nothing... so I'm ranting. Don't mind me I guess... wad just hoping to find people who can relate.

You specifically said "how do people do it?" I was under the impression that was a genuine question. I suspect others were as well.
  • Francl27
    Options

Egg 'product' and low protein yogurt. I love eggs but that was nasty and I typically don't waste calories on regular fruit yogurt. But maybe it will be enough if I'm not starving tomorrow.

wow at this point you are full of excuses and nothing sounds good enough for you

you sound real fun to vacation with

is your girl crabby and picky or is it you?

Relax you're on vacation

I'm picky I guess because I don't like wasting calories on bad food lol.
  • LoraF83
    edited July 2015
    Options

Really?

Hence the rant. I wasn't asking for advice, although I appreciate it, but I wasted hours online trying to plan things for nothing... so I'm ranting. Don't mind me I guess... wad just hoping to find people who can relate.

You specifically said "how do people do it?" I was under the impression that was a genuine question. I suspect others were as well.

*Nods*

I mean, hey I've vacationed with my kid successfully many times. I've got tips and tricks and stuff up my sleeve. But when someone throws their hands up at the simplest suggestion (I can't possibly look up a restaurant because I have a kid!), I'm disinclined to continue to offer suggestions.

Had the op said "I just want to complain without trying to improve anything", I wouldnt have wasted any time.
This discussion has been closed.