40 to 45 lbs in 6 months???

Options
2»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Is aiming for 40 to 45 lbs in 6 months a healthy goal? I'm 220 lbs and I want to lose AT LEAST 40 by Christmas.

Can it be done? Assuming you don't have too many celebrations, nights out, unplanned trips, or other life events, of course.

BUT I would just start today. Concentrate on accurate logging and moving more and results will follow. I set a really aggressive Christmas goal last year and was stressed out doing it--but when Christmas came and I was 30 pounds lighter, I was still happier than I would have been.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's doable! I've lost 38 lbs in just shy of 6 months. Started at 196, did it via mostly diet. Just started 30 min day walking/jogging because the lbs are getting harder to move. I do 1200 cals, 5'5". But I'm determined... Went over 1200 but under 1500 only 3x. I've never been a fast food and soda and chips person, so it was less of a struggle to eat enough nutritious food yet stay at goal. Good luck! Even if you can't drop 40, you can certainly make a sizeable difference in weight!
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in my first 4 months on MFP, so it is possible. I was highly motivated and obese in the beginning. I have made it down to the "overweight" category and the weight loss has slowed down quite a bit. Still losing but at a more expected and realistic level. I'm 5' 4" and weighed 200 lbs when I started.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've just read a bunch of posts where people don't appear to know how many weeks are in 6 months!!! ;) Seriously people, half of 52 weeks (1 year!) is 26 weeks!

Here's the thing, of couse weight loss slows as you approach goal weight, but does anyone really think 180lb is goal weight for this person? My impression is that thisis an interim target (Xmas is a useful date goal IMO).

My current goal is similar - overall, a goal of 56lb, with a Xmas target (29 weeks) from my start date of around 35-40lb lost. I lost 2lb per week for the first 2 weeks, adjusted my calorie goals, aimed for and have hit 1.5lb for the last 3 weeks. So, 5 weeks in and I'm on target for over 40lb. I still expect to land closer to 35lb lost, but it is looking achievable, and no one's told me that I have overinflated targets! 24 weeks to Xmas and 28-32lb as a goal for me to lose. I don't think the OP is that far off in her targets - perhaps just a slight downgrade in expected numbers.

the thing is though that a lot of people, including myself have all been through this...and as you progress, it does slow down...you will have stalls...you will plateau, etc. Is it impossible? No. Do most of these types of projections hold water in the end? No, not really...

Really, it's just better to get started...either way you're going to be better off in 6 months if you start now than if you never started...I just see way too many people get wrapped up in these time deadlines and do stupid things and/or they feel like they've failed because their body's aren't in line with some calculator's projections based on an overly simple formula.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't see why not. I lost 70-odd in 6 months from 253.5lbs. I am on 1400kcal or so a day and lose about 1.1kg a week (a couple of pounds?). I'm 4'11" and mostly sedentary these days. I am under 180lbs now (sorry I work in metric so not sure exactly). I'm still obese class 2, maybe that helps.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think your goal is reasonable and find no problem with shooting for aggressive goals. However, if you are the type of person who is going to be really upset about falling short of that goal then don't do that to yourself. I set aggressive goals all the time. If I'm falling short I just readjust my expectation or I work harder if I feel I have a chance to meet it. I think it all depends upon your personality.

I've lost 35 pounds in 3 months but I had a lot to lose. Right now I'm at 219 pounds and I've done the math. I can do 2 pounds a week up until I hit the 200 pound mark and then I will have to start lowering that goal to a pound and a half a week to go from 200-180. By my estimation I will be between 180 and 185 by Xmas. But you also have to factor in times where you fall off the wagon or aren't losing it as quickly. I also haven't run into a plateau yet...so those kind of things could still happen. But it doens't stop me from trying. Add me as a friend as we are actually are in the exact same position and have the exact same goal. We can challenge each other.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: Don't put a time limit on it, just eat at reasonable deficit, exercise and whatever weight you weigh in 6 months, be proud of it and keep going!! Time limits never work and only makes you frustrated!!

Good luck.
  • deepakkumararaj
    deepakkumararaj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is definitely doable. But you also need to have the right mindset and not be discouraged if you don't see the results you are expecting. Eat at a moderate deficit. Do strength training. You will definitely see a good progress. This is what I have been doing. Lost around 50 lb since February. Went down from a jeans size 44 to a loose 36. It requires consistency, managing your calorie intake and determination.

One other thing is that I normally set smaller goals for 3-4 weeks and keep changing everything I hit the goal. That keeps me motivated. Add me as a friend if you want to.
  • igottalose50
    igottalose50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you can do it ....i started last month n my goal is to lose 50 lbs by late november thats like 6 months started at 223 lbs .....in these last 4weeks ive lost 14 lbs..
    it takes hard work n strong mind..but sure is possible..im so looking forward for friday so i can weight my self again .....feel free to add me!!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Is aiming for 40 to 45 lbs in 6 months a healthy goal? I'm 220 lbs and I want to lose AT LEAST 40 by Christmas.

I'm just about to hit 6 months and have lost 42 pounds. I've done minimal exercise outside of a lot of strenuous gardening and I'm probably a lot older than you. It's entirely doable.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    That's about 1.5 -1.75 lbs per week.

It's probably within the realm of possibility, but might be slightly aggressive. 30 is probably more realistic, and then consider anything above that a bonus
    This
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 in 5 months. I started at 212 (5'2") and now I'm 162. Although to be fair I'm breastfeeding so I get to eat extra calories for that, so it's been very manageable for me. I don't anticipate that the next 25-35 pounds that I need to lose will come off nearly that quickly, and that is fine with me. I love food so much that I eat as much as I possibly can while still losing, lol. So I am in no hurry!! I agree with others though to make your goal less aggressive, because then if you surpass it you will feel so good about yourself. If it's too aggressive, you may end up feeling like you failed.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 in 4.5 months, 40 in 6 is very doable.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If you weighed 320 then I would say sure go for it.

But 220 is too low for that high a loss each week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sounds very ambitious. I wouldn't bet the farm on it or anything.

That said, I started at around 250 and the first twenty or thirty pounds flew off. The nurse even checked my record and saw that I'd been weighed by many doctors - like six different places in two weeks - so the old weight was accurate. She said she got on the scale herself to make sure their scale wasn't malfunctioning. It can't happen to that many people. :)

Maybe you'll luck out and have a big drop at first, too. :)
  • brettwhittington
    brettwhittington Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started logging 147 days ago and I have lost 72lbs since I started. I'm 5'7 and started at 250 lbs. which is 39.6 on the BMI chart. That is approximately 3.6lbs per week. I had huge losses the first month or so but since then I lose between 1-3 lbs. per week. My calorie goals are very aggressive and some days are really hard. As others have said, don't put a time frame on your goal because it will breed discontent. I learned this the hard way last year. Instead focus on seeing a downward trend week to week.

Personally I weigh myself every morning and night because I am Type A personality but I only record my weight once per week to see the actual downward trend. I have been very successful at it.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I don't see why 40 pounds is an unreasonable goal. As another poster mentioned that's about 1.67 pounds a week. It will be difficult but with dedication and determination, I think you can do it! Good luck.

It's not impossible, you're right. I think people are trying to prevent OP from frustration since weight loss is not linear and she may not see exactly 1.5-1.75 lbs each week and it may take more time than she is hoping. It's most definitely possible, and I love your encouragement. In a totally unrelated note, I LOVE MY PIT BULL TOO!

I do see what you mean. Results like that would be difficult to achieve every single week consistently and 40 weeks is a relatively short time frame.

Pit bulls are the best! :)