clean eating challenge

Options
Wondering if anyone would want to start a clean eating challenge on monday for 10 days

Replies

• kldesigns
    kldesigns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea. Im in!
  • soul_n_avila
    soul_n_avila Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cool ok I'll do some research next few days on the best ones and will post on Friday afternoon what one we will do so we have time to go out and shop for food
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    how are you defining clean eating for the purpose of this challenge?

and why is it only ten days?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why only 10 days? What is the point? What do you think will happen in only 10 days?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    enradney wrote: »
    Cool ok I'll do some research next few days on the best ones and will post on Friday afternoon what one we will do so we have time to go out and shop for food

Why would you create a challenge in an area that you are not knowledgeable in, based on this comment? What magical event do you think is going to occur by eating "clean" (if you can define clean), for a time span of only 10 days?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to shop for special clean food? Don't you already eat meat and plants and eggs and whatever else is "clean"? My house is full of food that would count as "clean" according to most definitions and I don't even like the term "clean eating."
  • soul_n_avila
    Options
    It's supposed to help ur body and ur mind make better choices if ud do well and see results I'm the challenge why would u mess it up with the junk common sense if u don't want to do it just don't reply I don't need ur negativity or rudeness
  • mantium999
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Slow down and punctuate so you can be better understood. Second, if you have to research different clean diet options, I don't think you truly have a grasp on what they are "supposed" to do, and what they actually do, for your mind and/or body. I see it as irresponsible to invite others, who likely have as little or less knowledge, to join you in a challenge that you don't even understand yourself. There is unlikely to be any prolonged benefit to anyone involved. It's not negativity, it suggesting you take a step back and educate yourself more on dietary issues.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    enradney wrote: »
    Way to knock someone down peeps appreciated so very much....clean eating is nothing processed so no cheeses nothing from a box and organic/ natural meets fresh foods and I've done some in the past and everyone always says this but not that and o never made sense how someone could eat fried pork but not a strawberry so in order to help cleanse my body and mind I want to do one that seems the most correct ....just simy don't respond if ur not interested ....ridiculous

Ok ..

so whole wheat pasta is out because boxed?
    Brown rice out, because boxed?
    is steak out, because processed?

why are you setting up a false choice between fried pork and strawberries?
  • soul_n_avila
    Options
    "Clean Eating" dates back to the natural health food movement of the 1960s, which shunned processed foods for the sake of moral and societal values (rather than health and nutrition issues). Eventually it landed in gyms, where it gained momentum among body builders and fitness models. Recently, however, it made the jump into mainstream America, rejuvenating and inspiring a new generation of healthy eaters.

With each move, the clean eating concept became more refined and developed. Here are the seven core principles of today:

1. Choose whole, natural foods and seek to eliminate or minimize processed foods.
    Processed foods are anything in a box, bag, can, or package, and although there are always a few exceptions to the rule (like a bag of fresh green beans), the majority of your foods should be fresh.

2. Choose unrefined over refined foods.
    While it may not be possible all the times, you can up your intake of whole grains like brown rice, millet, amaranth, and quinoa. Beans and legumes are also important. Clean sugars include honey, maple syrup, and dehydrated sugar cane juice.

3. Include some protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal.
    Most of us typically do well with carbohydrates and fat, but we often lack protein, especially in the early part of the day, like at breakfast and lunch. Protein is an important muscle-builder, and it can also help curb your appetite. When eaten throughout the day, it keeps us feeling full longer. Be aware of the kinds of meals you put together and space out your protein.

4. Watch out for fat, salt, and sugar.
    This is easier than you think, particularly if you’ve cut out processed foods, which are responsible for most of our excess calories and high levels of fat, sugar, and salt. Clean foods are usually naturally low in all of these ingredients.

5. Eat five to six small meals throughout the day.
    This usually pans out into three main meals and two or three hefty snacks. Eating this way prevents you from skipping meals and overeating. It also keeps your blood sugar levels steady so energy doesn’t lag.

6. Don’t drink your calories.
    High calorie drinks like specialty coffees and soft drinks, on average, tack on an extra 400 to 500 calories a day. Choose water first, or my personal favorite, unsweetened tea (any flavor). Other clean drinks: low-fat or skim milk and 100 percent fruit juice diluted with sparkling water.

7. Get moving.
    Regular physical activity is a must for many reasons. Not only does it decrease fat, strengthen and build muscle, and help you burn more energy at rest, it keeps your heart, lungs, and bones healthy and strong.

• mantium999
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1. There are a ton of quality whole/natural foods that are sold in a bag. This generality is false.
    2. I always buy my brown rice and quinoa in a bag or box. Which further negates the premise to 1.
    3. I like protein.
    4. Fats are good. Avocados, olive oil, and nuts are natural, but 2 of those 3 are usually sold "packaged". Which, per number 1, is bad. But the quality of fats they provide is good. Useless "info" here.
    5. Being mindful of what you put in your mouth, not spreading your food out into more, smaller meals, prevents overeating. Thats why tracking food (gasp!, why MFP exists!) is so helpful.
    6. Bahahahaha!!!! at suggesting that low-fat or skim milk is a "cleaner" choice. Low fat and skim milk requires more "processing" than whole milk. But processing is bad. And milk comes packaged. Which is bad.
    7. Moving more is good.

So, 2 out of 7, sort of. May I ask the source of your cut and paste? Because it's usually good form to credit information that you copy. And, based on this list, google provided you with a really lousy "education" on making food choices. Arbitrary food classifications, like using these "rules", to define food as good or bad, is so full of holes, fallacies, and misinformation its not even funny.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...while I couldn't adhere to several of those rules I didn't see anything unhealthy about them. So if you think that is how you want to eat then try it. Maybe it will work for you maybe it won't. If it doesn't then you can always do something different.

I have tried a few different ways of eating in the past...vegan, vegetarian, carb-cycling and a few others. None of them fit my life and my preferences of eating.

If you decide to try eating by the above rules...good luck with it.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have removed several posts from this discussion and am reminding people that its fine to respectfully disagree with a poster's approach and to ask them for additional information about what they mean or why they are doing something, but please be polite and respectful and contribute actual content in the process, don't mock or laugh at people.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    "Clean Eating" dates back to the natural health food movement of the 1960s, which shunned processed foods for the sake of moral and societal values (rather than health and nutrition issues). Eventually it landed in gyms, where it gained momentum among body builders and fitness models. Recently, however, it made the jump into mainstream America, rejuvenating and inspiring a new generation of healthy eaters.

With each move, the clean eating concept became more refined and developed. Here are the seven core principles of today:

1. Choose whole, natural foods and seek to eliminate or minimize processed foods.
    Processed foods are anything in a box, bag, can, or package, and although there are always a few exceptions to the rule (like a bag of fresh green beans), the majority of your foods should be fresh.

While it may not be possible all the times, you can up your intake of whole grains like brown rice, millet, amaranth, and quinoa. Beans and legumes are also important. Clean sugars include honey, maple syrup, and dehydrated sugar cane juice.

Most of us typically do well with carbohydrates and fat, but we often lack protein, especially in the early part of the day, like at breakfast and lunch. Protein is an important muscle-builder, and it can also help curb your appetite. When eaten throughout the day, it keeps us feeling full longer. Be aware of the kinds of meals you put together and space out your protein.

This is easier than you think, particularly if you’ve cut out processed foods, which are responsible for most of our excess calories and high levels of fat, sugar, and salt. Clean foods are usually naturally low in all of these ingredients.

This usually pans out into three main meals and two or three hefty snacks. Eating this way prevents you from skipping meals and overeating. It also keeps your blood sugar levels steady so energy doesn’t lag.

High calorie drinks like specialty coffees and soft drinks, on average, tack on an extra 400 to 500 calories a day. Choose water first, or my personal favorite, unsweetened tea (any flavor). Other clean drinks: low-fat or skim milk and 100 percent fruit juice diluted with sparkling water.

7. Get moving.
    Regular physical activity is a must for many reasons. Not only does it decrease fat, strengthen and build muscle, and help you burn more energy at rest, it keeps your heart, lungs, and bones healthy and strong.

I disagree with everyone of these except for three, six and seven.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

7. Get moving.
    I can't get healthy beans that don't come in a bag. Or quinoa. Where do people shop to get these things? I wish I could find things that fresh! I tried Whole Foods once and my potatoes were full of black spots inside. The tuna steak was $15 and no better than the ones at Publix or Winn Dixie. I won't be going back there. Is that where you shop?

I applaud your efforts to clean up your diet. It's a very worthwhile investment in yourself! If ten days seems like a trial period, that's great. Yay you. :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

But i like my ice cream and popcorn in the night!

Nope nope i cant eat added sugar because of some medical issues...it is NOT healthy for ME!

Oke that is one i can do.

I already eat salt less and dont add sugar. But for sure there are some pretty salty foods around that are on the "clean list"

I think i rather eat when i want and my blood sugar levels are perfect btw. I never over eat anyway. And i eat a main part of my snacks in the evening. It is even my main calorie allowance.

So i can scratch my super yummie smoothie and coffee??? nah dont think so lol

7. Get moving.

I move a enough thanks.

mwahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah
    rofl
    no thanks i have ice cream tonight and pizza in two days. so nope nope nope I will stay dirty
    leaves thread

76145189.png
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    btw is this clean?
    Things has changed a lot lately I have to see i get my hands on a "clean food" list

soul_n_avila's Food Diary For:
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Mcdonald's - Iced Vanilla Coffee, 1 cup 170 27 7 1 55 26
    burito - burito , 250 g 100 59 11 17 0 0
    Quick Tools 270 86 18 18 55 26
    Lunch
    Chicken -thighs - Baked Skinless Thighs, 8 oz 118 0 6 15 50 0
    Pepperidge Farm - Slider Bun, 1 bun 100 18 2 4 130 3
    Pepsi - Reg., 8 oz. 75 21 0 0 15 21
    Quick Tools 293 39 8 19 195 24
    Dinner
    Dfac - Tuna Salad (Tuna & Mayo), 2.5 oz 90 0 6 10 225 0
    Nature's Own - Butter Bread, 2 slice (26g) 120 24 1 6 190 2
    Quick Tools 210 24 7 16 415 2
    Snacks
    Twix - Twix, 2 fingers 250 34 12 2 100 24
    Pepsi - Cola, 0.6 can 90 25 0 0 18 25
    Quick Tools
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

7. Get moving.
    I can't get healthy beans that don't come in a bag. Or quinoa. Where do people shop to get these things? I wish I could find things that fresh! I tried Whole Foods once and my potatoes were full of black spots inside. The tuna steak was $15 and no better than the ones at Publix or Winn Dixie. I won't be going back there. Is that where you shop?

I applaud your efforts to clean up your diet. It's a very worthwhile investment in yourself! If ten days seems like a trial period, that's great. Yay you. :)

so your applauding a fruitless endeavor?????
  • kelleyjhale
    kelleyjhale Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just finished doing one of these with a group of friends on Facebook. We posted every day, shared recipes, and held each other accountable. It was a great experience.