what are you all doing ???

Options
Are you on a diet or just cut down your portion sizes??? i have cut down my portions this time , last time i went on a diet and i really resented it hated dishing out cooked dinners with every thing on it and i was just eating a lil bit of chicken and veg and i was starviiinnggg all the time i didnt have any treats my treat was a apple a day LoL so im hoping by cutting down my portions and exercising trying to be every day will help me loose!! iv lost a 1lb already so im going the right way !! how are all you doing :D hope your all well feel free to add me i need all the encouragement i can get and ill give it bk too x

Replies

• Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm limiting myself to about 1700-1800 calories and trying to exercise more.

I don't eat low carb/low fat/high protein or anything. I just eat normal things, but portion controlled.

I allow myself treats whenever I feel I need them to not feel deprived.

I don't think you can keep it up for a long time if you are following a difficult diet. It isn't a short term fix,it's a long term thing. (unless you only need to lose 10 pounds)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Cut down portion sizes and increase the number of times a day that you eat. I eat at least six times a day, sometimes 7 or 8, depending on how long my day is. Also, drink enough water to swim in!
  • carrie_lebel
    carrie_lebel Posts: 135
    Options
    I watch my calorie intake. I eat about 1540 a day plus my exercise calories. I just started back to work and I am having trouble getting my calories in but I am working on it.
  • sarahcowley1
    Options
    im just hoping cuting my portion sizes will work i kinda feel guilty eating chips even tho i dont have alot :s
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight by cutting down on portion sizes. IT's true we have such huge sizes now. I eat off my daughters' plates. Their size. Works. I've lost 95 pounds I don't restrict myself either. IF they want DQ then I go and get teh mini of the blizzard. ANd then I dont even eat all that.

I also bought a food scale to see how much say chip portions should be.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I control calories by cutting portion sizes and added more exercise, but basically I just eat what I want within reasonable limits. Seems to be working okay so far and I don't feel deprived or like I'm on a diet this way.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I count calories using this site. That's it! I eat what I like and exercise whenever I can ( 4 or 5 time a week). I have found, however, that my food choices have gotten so much healthier over time. My cravings have naturally subsided, and I find myself eating much cleaner than before. I have never looked at this as a diet, more of a new way of thinking/eating. I eat anywhere between 1500 and1800 calories a day ( depending on exercise) but very rarely go under that. It is a slower process, but it seems to 'stick' better. For example, I went on vacation, didn't log at all, and came back less than 2 pounds heavier, which disappeared after a couple of days back on the site. During my vacation, I made pretty good choices without too much effort because it has now become a habit for me. Hope this helps, good luck :)
  • sarahcowley1
    Options
    food scale sounds ok i might get 1 thnx :D
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have been on numerous diets, losing anywhere from 35 to 60 pounds. It's taken me 4-6 years to put it back on, only to have to loose it again later. Lately, I was diagnosed with high blood sugar, and started a diabetic nutritional program. Wow!! I'm amazed at how eating like a diabetic works! My biggest find was fiber. I made a tasty navy bean and ground beef soup that was low cal / low sugar, but it really filled me up. I've also tried multi-grain bread, and finally found one I really like that fills me up. For snacks, I tried the Fiber One 90 bars - They are right!! It doesn't taste like cardboard. They are very good and really filling. Peanut butter in celery or, I just have a peanut butter pop! A scoop of peanut butter on a spoon. That too fills me up. Watch proportions, and eat 3 small meals and 3 small snacks (1 T peanut butter, 1/4 c. peanuts, etc.)) And add lots of water. One other thing I have noticed, if it says sugar free, check the nutritional info - sometimes it has alcohol sugar - not good. And, if it's low in sugar, it can be high in fat, and like-wise if it says low fat, check the sugars. Sometimes it's better to have the real deal in small proportions. Good Luck!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten fairly healthy. But as I have gotten older, I have needed to adjust when I need to lose weight. Used to be just adding more exercise did it. Then I had to add portion control. But when that wasn't enough, and with a little research, I have changed the way I eat. i eat a lot less carbs, more protein, more fiber. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. And I eat all day long. Lots of snacks...but healthy snacks. I try to eat good fats. I allow myself treats from time to time. But I don't feel like I am depriving myself of anything because I am losing weight and my clothes are starting to get baggy and that is better than any "treat."
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I've lost my weight by cutting down on portion sizes. IT's true we have such huge sizes now. I eat off my daughters' plates. Their size. Works. I've lost 95 pounds I don't restrict myself either.

That is so true.

I use tiny bowls for snacks like nuts/dried fruit and it appears to be a lot more than if you put it in a bigger bowl.

Strange how our mind works:laugh:
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier and working out more. I use to never pass up cake at a birthday party.. hungry or not. Now I do. I know I don't need it. I still treat myself, just once a week or so... I feel better now that I eat better. I was amazed to see how many calories I was consuming when I wasn't paying attention.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't diet. I eat as clean as I can, weigh/measure foods and count calories, and exercise for about an hour six days a week. I am eating around 1600-1800 calories a day or so. Moderation is key!