Fruit and vegetables

Options
Silly question but does everyone on here calorie count all fruit and vegetables too? I find myself going to get an apple of peach but can't as I don't have enough calories left. Surely if we fancy something thyself good for us we should just have it and not worry too much?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My body counts the calories in fruits and vegetables so I count them too. That said, there are some days when I might go a bit over my calories because I'm truly hungry. I just make sure to log everything so that if I don't see the results that I expect, I will know what is happening.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    They have calories, so yes.

Just because they contain less calories doesn't mean you get a free pass with them ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Everything with calories gets counted. Fat is also good for us but you wouldn't just eat it without logging would you?
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I count all fruit and veg, except melon and green veg, eg celery, cucumber, spinach.... as mainly water. Apple and peaches are high in sugar, so I count them. However, they are very low calorie, at about 60-80, so wouldn't really do any harm if you're hungry.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yes....

but why are you reaching for that fruit? hunger? appetite?

If hunger eat it...but start eating more filling foods like protein and fat....appetite...leave it where it sits.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yes....

but why are you reaching for that fruit? hunger? appetite?

If hunger eat it...but start eating more filling foods like protein and fat....appetite...leave it where it sits.

Great point!

Many people don't know or recognize the difference between hunger (the need for food) and appetite (the desire for food).

If the item has calories, count it and log it.
  • antmcd13
    antmcd13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for your good points and help. I just thought I'd check as I've recently not renewed my weight watchers as this app is free and recognises all food by the barcode so want to see how I get on with this. The reason I ask is because on weight watchers all fruit and veg was not pointed so thanks for clearing that up for me ;)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The calories in one apple or one peach could easily be 120 calories each. So definitely count them. Also make sure you weigh them by grams because there are so many different sizes. And make sure you choose the correct entry in MFP. I started out logging 1 medium apple at 66 calories. Then I started weighing them and confirming the entries in MFP and he typical apple I eat is actually over 100 calories each.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There are really no "freebie" foods. However, if you are at the end of the day and want an apple or something, it won't kill you. It will just slow your progress slightly if you make it a habit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    antmcd13 wrote: »
    Thankyou all for your good points and help. I just thought I'd check as I've recently not renewed my weight watchers as this app is free and recognises all food by the barcode so want to see how I get on with this. The reason I ask is because on weight watchers all fruit and veg was not pointed so thanks for clearing that up for me ;)

Weight Watchers gives points goals assuming that extra calories will be consumed in the form of "free" fruits and vegetables. MFP doesn't, it's designed for you to enter each calorie that you eat. That's why it's different. Good luck!
  • antmcd13
    antmcd13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ya that's true, Thankyou, I haven't got to much further to go, just over another stone, then I'll just maintain.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people get fat eating foods that are "good for them". Some "healthy" foods can be just as high in calories as "junk" foods.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    All calories count, Bro.

All.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't bother counting most veggies such as lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc. I do count most fruits but if I'm grabbing a few grapes I won't bother.
  • theswan0
    theswan0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some times i think im hungry and i used to reach for fruit but started putting weight on now what i do is eat the kids ice pops they are 14 calories each and most of the time i wasn't hungry just bored and 14 calories passes the time and ups your intake of fluid another good thing i do is get some fruit something like water melon then put it in a cheap throw away plastic cup make some sugar free squash and poor it in the water melon and freeze it, it's low in calories and great for bordem eater's as it takes ages to crunch threw :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    antmcd13 wrote: »
    Silly question but does everyone on here calorie count all fruit and vegetables too? I find myself going to get an apple of peach but can't as I don't have enough calories left. Surely if we fancy something thyself good for us we should just have it and not worry too much?

Yes absolutely count them - vegetables and fruit can erode your calorie defecit