Doing low carb , high fat diet

Options
I've been two weeks on a low carb, high fat diet. My daughter turned me on to the ketogenic way of eating. I have struggled with depression all my life... That is now lifting. I have more energy. I find I only need 6-7 hours of sleep.
I'm not interested in debating why I'm doing this (the ketogenic way of eating). But I am interested in meeting like minded people who are also doing this.
There are so many diets out there and I believe there are different things that work for different folks. This is what I'm trying. If you have any keto recipes that you like please share.
I found a podcast that is helping me to understand more about the ketogenic way of eating and its benefits. It's called "Low Carb Conversations with Jimmy Moore".

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out the MFP groups? -- there seem to be multiple keto groups.
  • cindyclifton1
    cindyclifton1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria, i have been looking into the keto way of eating. I tried adkins more than 20 years agoand remember how good i felt, but didn't understand why. With today's information age, I am clear on how it works. I'm waiting for Wednesday to stock up our pantry with proper food choices... No more processed junk. My name is Cindy from Florida, USA
  • DivaPhat
    DivaPhat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria, I have been on the LCHF WOE for 3 weeks. I am excited and always love to meet others who are living this WOE. I restarted MFP today! There is a great private group on Facebook " 90 day low carb challege", if you are not already familiar with it. Have a good night.
  • bigburdy
    bigburdy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me as joined MFP today and planning to do a LCHF diet :)
  • PeterVMC2015
    PeterVMC2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing this for about six weeks, finally got my blood sugar under control since being diagnosed. I would also like to see what you are doing as we all have things to learn and different ways of going about it. I have just found out that using coconut milk in my Rooibos tea is a great way to add more fat to my diet and help bring up my daily tally, regards Peter
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to eat LCHF today as well! I'm waiting for the weekend for grocery shopping to really get started though. Feel free to add me!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm keto too.
    The LCD group RodaRose mentioned is very helpful.
  • k8catlin
    k8catlin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started LCHF today!! I was paleo and it just stopped working...probably due to my cheat meals and too much beer. I love beer. But I'm going to try tequila and red wine. Not together. Hehe. I shopped yesterday and am cleaning out the pantry today. I'm super excited!!!
  • KelliDyan
    KelliDyan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm just starting this LCHF way of eating, did the HCG diet with success but now going to try and eat this way to see if it will help me with aura migraines. Anyone know of a good shopping list to start with? I've been collecting recipes and ideas from Pinterest etc, kindof not exactly sure where to start though,,, shopping for meals, snacks,,,
  • jazcollege924
    jazcollege924 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it with my whole family -- my step dad has lost 100lbs over the last year. If you're a carb sensitive person, it's completely worth it to try it out.
  • roberttsaunders
    roberttsaunders Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The keto test strips are the best motivation.
  • hotpink_meow
    hotpink_meow Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm a ketogenic dieter too :)
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    6 months on Keto, check out my profile. It's the only diet that my body has responded to, given the amount of exercise I do, in terms of improving body composition.

Happy to friend anyone.

Couple of quick points:

1. If you feel like crap early on as you deplete glycogen stores it's due to lost electrolytes. 1 unit of glycogen retains about 4 units of water so you can lose nearly 5kg off the scale early on the keto diet as the approximately 2000g of glycogen depletes. With that water leaves SALT and other essential minerals. On keto, micro nutrients have a macro effect. You must supplement salt. I have a cup of chicken bouillon broth twice a day, that's 2g salt, never had the adverse feelings of early ketosis.
    2. KETOSTRIPS. Everyone likes to piss on keto sticks. Purple = good, right? No, purple means you're eating too much fat and if you're EATING it that's the fat you're using for fuel first and so those ketones are what you're measuring! If I'm under 50g/day carbs, I'm in ketosis. period. More for some less for others. My strips read negative to trace ketones, if im purple I tweak the fat intake down 5-10 g/day to ensure the fat I'm burning is the fat thats on my *kitten*! Now, if youre sustaining weight vs cutting then eat the fat and pee your purple rainbows :smile:
    3. But I want to KNOW I'm in ketosis. OK. You only know something for a fact if you can quantify it, a hard number. That can be done by blood, pricking your finger...eh no thanks. Or by a BREATHALYZER! Yep, your breath will have traces of acetone on it which can be read by a unit sold by these guys: www.ketonix.com I like the system because i can get a real time reading from food and exercise and plot it on the computer, but then im an engineer and I plot everything. Nerd, I know.
    4. booze. you can drink but be prepared to get HAMMERED. I dont know why but alcohol synthesis goes way up meaning you get drunk wicked fast and recover fast as well. I save on beer and scotch :smiley: I mention this because it can catch new dieters off guard and get them in hella lot of trouble.

well yep, that's the tip of the iceberg.

Success with a diet is as much about DNA as it is effort and discipline. Keto worked for me and it took me until age 42 to find it. I hope others can save the time I did not.

Good hunting.
  • BaderALzamil
    BaderALzamil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me 2 , hight fat and low carb diet . To lean my muscles . best of luck
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started ketogenic eating 20 weeks ago primarily to treat type2 diabetes. Eating omnivore I was injecting insulin 5 to 6 times a day. 10 weeks ago I stopped all insulin.

By day 3 my sugars were dropping. I've had much better normalized insulin levels now since starting this diet as compared to eating a standard diet and using insulin. .I've rejected insulin over 300 times now.

My first 4+ weeks I was only losing about .5 lbs a week. I learned that was due to my eating nearly 3k or greater calories per day 70 to 75% in fat. I didn't care how many calories I was eating so long as sugars were normal and I want gaining weight. By week 5 I was losing 2 to 3 lbs a week and when looking at my numbers I could see I had stopped eating as many calories. I was and currently still find it hard to eat more than 1500 to 1600 calories per day. I'm still eating keto but more like 60 yo 68% fat, protein in the 28 to 30% range and still very satisfied without hunger.

I believe appetite is down because insulin levels are down...

Again My primary goal is sugar control without drugs & weight loss. So far it's going great.

I love this guy Bob Briggs "Butter makes your pants fall off!"

https://youtu.be/h6aMN6NLOTQ