Is it too soon to book a 5k?

Options
nicola8989
nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I will be doing my 6th "run" tomorrow - I am on a beginners' walk-run programme. The longest I've been out for so far is just under 4k and before this I had never run.

There's a 5k I would like to do in September but as I've said on another thread I have been experiencing shin pain. My running coach told me to rest and I have for a couple of days, I'm going to try some compression socks tomorrow and have been doing loads of stretching - if I am still in pain tomorrow I might do a longer rest but I really don't want to. I am going to buy some new shoes too in a couple of weeks and get properly fitted to see if that helps.

Should I do a few more runs before I sign up? I would love to have the date fixed as something to work towards but I don't want to let people down by booking it and then having to drop out.

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'd say, book it! Even if you are sidelined for a few days because of the shins, you'll have plenty of time to make it up. And if you're around 4k already, you'll be in good shape for the 5k in September. Unless you're taking on a lot of travel to get to the 5k, usually 5k races aren't super expensive so even if you do have to drop out, it won't be a huge blow. I find that putting a little money on the line and having a date on the calendar is extra motivational :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was a fun run. I started right at the back because I thought I would be the slowest person by a mile.

I ended up passing lots of people who were either walking the entire distance or walk/running.

It's just a nice day out. I would book it.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Book it. I booked my 5K as soon as I started c25k to keep me motivated. It doesn't matter if you run the 5k really slowly or walk.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'd book it. A 5k is a short enough distance that you could walk the whole thing if you wanted/needed to do so.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I'd book it. A 5k is a short enough distance that you could walk the whole thing if you wanted/needed to do so.

I completely agree on this one. My first 5k I did with a mixture of running and walking :smile:
  • ewai05
    ewai05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Where do you find running events
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    book it.. youve got plenty of time...
    check out http://www.parkrun.org.uk/if in the UK.. perfect place for all levels of runners/joggers/walkers
    good luck
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    ewai05 wrote: »
    Where do you find running events

If you're American, Running in the USA lists all sorts of distances, from fun walks on up to ultramarathons.

You can also Google search for [your area] running calendar to find your local running club/running store's calendar of upcoming local-ish races.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Also throwing my hat in for "you can just walk it if you need to". Go ahead. Have fun!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My first 5K race was 10 weeks after starting the C25K in 9 weeks program. I walked a lot but I was able to finish running. It took me 4 months to do a 5K non-stop but that's mostly because I'm a slow runner and I tend to spare myself. :D

Book it, have fun, pace yourself and as long as you finish it, it's a win!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Actually my first race was an 8K, I didn't train specifically for it I just did it for fun. I was able to keep up a good pace until about 3 miles in, and did the ~5 miles in about an hour, much better than I thought I would do.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Go for it. With the C25K program, you'll be ready in ~3 months.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't run, although I just started the C25K program. I do the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta every July 4th, it is a 10K and I walk the whole thing except for the very end, I like to run across the finish line. A LOT of the people there are walking. I want to be able to run a lot of it next year, hence the C25K! I hope to be able to do a few 5Ks during the year to help out and also to get a better start wave next year at the race.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I looked at the park runs and love that they're free but I want to do one where I can be sponsored and don't think you can do that for a park run?

I think I will book it next week :) very exciting
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    I looked at the park runs and love that they're free but I want to do one where I can be sponsored and don't think you can do that for a park run?

I think I will book it next week :) very exciting

I looked at the Park runs mentioned above. It looks like it's a running club of sorts. This would actually be a good way to get in 5k practice, for free. Plus, you get the social aspect of running with people so you aren't just out there running the miles by yourself. These would be good ways to get in practice in anticipation of paid runs.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I think I will be doing some park runs - I run with a group which is great as it's much more social
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Register!! It will keep you motivated and give you something to look forward to when you need extra motivation. The beauty of a 5K is that it's totally walkable, in case you are injured!! They are fun and you will be hooked! I did my first 5K, 14 years ago. I now run/hike ultra marathons!! My furthest distance was last May, 100K in 21 hours, at age 56!!! DO IT!! You won't regret it!! :p
  • nicola8989
    Options
    haha thanks :D I want to work up to a 10k but don't think I'll be going beyond that!
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    you say that now nicola.. its pretty addictive, bet when you hit 10k you want to go beyond :-) park runs also do junior park runs.. 2k runs for children aged 4-14... My little girl does them now too so its a great way to get the whole family involved and thinking/being healthier.. good luck with it.