Diet Soda

Options
How do you all feel about it? I love my diet soda especially working night shift but it does seem to lead me down a bad road at times. diet soda from machine and well maybe that payday isn't so bad?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I've drank diet soda for over 25+ years now. Have not suffered ANY of the so called maladies that people are supposed to succumb to from drinking it. Of course I'm not drinking a case or two a day either.

Get ready to hear about the "chemicals" in it. Not like there isn't chemicals in water either...................oh wait there is water in diet soda. Oh and how the acid will jack your teeth up...........if you have bad hygiene. And how formaldehyde forms.......................just like when you eat citrus fruits.

Personally I use it to sweeten things up without the expense of higher calories. I'd rather use them on food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine. For night shift bring foods that you like and that will help you get through the night. In other words, plan better so that you have enjoyable foods that fit into your plan.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Buy your soda and don't even look at the snack machine, or bring it in with you so you aren't tempted. I drink one a day, sometimes more, and I'm losing fine.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I have one diet coke a day 300ml and im still losing weight
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    In my whole life, I have never suffered any ill effects from drinking diet soda.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Bring your diet soda from home and save some money. Your only problem is wasting money at the machine.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Been drinking it for 20+ years. Zero issues. I drank it when I was overweight and I continue to drink it now that I'm not.

Not a very interesting story, although I suspect it represents the vast majority of consumers. The news media prefers to report on statistical outliers, like those who drink 4 cases a day or people who have rare digestive disorders or how rats or squirrels or muskrats respond to drinking it.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't drink pop at all unless it's a coke with rum in it. And I tried getting diet coke to mix with my rum and I'd rather just drink the rum straight.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't like how sweet soda is and diet soda always tasted sweeter to me for some reason so I don't like the taste.

But to my knowledge there is no issue with drinking it. Most of the "x sweetener causes cancer etc." have been debunked or not truly proven, and the studies saying "people who drink diet soda get fatter/dont lose weight" are typically flawed.

I had an older teacher in high school who pretty much mainlined diet coke, she seemed very happy and healthy, if a bit thin, though that is to be expected at her age. We found an old picture of her where she looked about 300 lb. So apparently it worked for her.
    I don't drink pop at all unless it's a coke with rum in it. And I tried getting diet coke to mix with my rum and I'd rather just drink the rum straight.

Hah yes! why would you ruin good rum like that?! though i'd rather have it straight than mixed with anything, other than maybe a bit of water
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Love it.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Never could get used to the taste of diet sodas. Pretty much gave up the real thing too except on rare occassions. If any chemicals are going to get me, it will be Saccharin. I use it in my tea and coffee daily.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    This is going entirely too smooth. Neither are bad OP. I enjoy a diet coke or diet grape soda on occasion with peanuts IN the bottle. So we're not so different, you and I.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have had diet coke for about 40 years; when I was overweight and now lighter. I have had no problems. I find if I plan my snacks better I don't raid the vending machine.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Many of the warnings about the effects of diet soda and even regular soda are long term effects, for example the big one; bone loss. I drank diet soda when I was younger and I believe it never hindered me from losing weight, but probably helped just due to less calories.

Also, I am thinking I am older than anyone else that has posted here so far.

A few years ago I had a bunion removed from one of my feet. The doctor made a comment that my bone was softer than it should be for my age. I know that women do lose bone density, but he did say "for your age". I do not have bone loss to an extent for it to be considered osteoporosis, but now I do watch that I more calcium, and I sure drink a lot less diet soda now. I will be honest, just one occasionally. I have a daughter who is an R.N. who will not touch the stuff.

It may or may not catch up to you, but it you are drinking a lot, you may consider quitting, or cutting back at least. There sure are a lot of other good tasting drinks these days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't need the salt.

Don't need the aspartame (and not everyone is in agreement that's it's even safe)

Don't miss the way it made me want to eat and eat.

Really don't miss the caffeine withdrawal headaches.

But it was nice to pop open a cold, fizzy drink.

Water and some fruit - just as refreshing, but no fizz.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to buy into all that crap that is spewed about how horrible it is for you. Annnnnd... I was miserable without it. I have managed to lose weight while drinking diet soda and without it, so I have concluded that it makes no difference. Many times when I want something sweet, I will grab a diet soda instead of chocolate which is and save myself the calories while still enjoying something.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker that began having seizures they believed were tied into her diet soda habit - BUT - she drank at least a six pack a day (sometimes two on the weekend). Seriously, she used to buy pallets of the stuff and keep it in her basement. I'm not discounting the idea that diet soda might cause some harm in one way or another, but I'm convinced that you'd have to drink it in volumes like this. Even the "rat studies" that they did to prove the harmful nature of artificial sweetners were flawed and involved huge amounts that a normal person would never consume.

So - I drink one or two cans a week. Usually, it's a Friday afternoon treat. Occasionally, I treat myself on a Monday when I'm having a tough time swinging back into my work schedule. I've never had any ill effects whatsoever - except that relying on soda keeps me from drinking my quota of water, which is the only reason I limit my intake.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Don't need the salt.

Why does this myth persist? A can of Diet Coke has around 40 mg of sodium which accounts for a paltry 2% of a recommended total of 2000 mg per day. Nobody is having sodium problems because they drink diet soda.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Love it. Drink it daily. I've lost 94 pounds drinking it daily and getting a candy bar to go along with it doesn't ever even cross my mind. Diet soda is not evil. If you like it, drink it. If it causes problems for you, then don't drink it. Simple as that.