How long should I wait to see if skin will bounce back?

Options
I know everybody's body is different, but after hitting your goal weight, how long should one wait to see if skin will bounce back? Does skin usually bounce back/tighten?

my info:

I started at 327 pounds, now I am at 170 and my goal weight is 145-150. It took me a year and a half to lose the weight. I have loose skin on my lower belly, lower/sides of my back, under arms, and inner thighs.

Each one of these problem areas have old/white stretch marks and is very loose/sagging. Will these stretch marks prevent my skin from bouncing back?

Sorry for so many questions, i am just concerned. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The two most important factors are your age and your genetics. The younger you are the better your chances it will bounce back. The stretch marks won't make much difference either way. My weight loss clinic suggests waiting a full year after your goal weight to see how you end up. I think 170 is amazing! Enjoy the new you.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Common wisdom says 2 years--also, however long you're still losing. Stretch marks make it worse but not impossible. Some women with terrible stretch marks end up with perfectly flat stomachs without surgery. Others with less severe marks have visible abs at the top and folds below.

I noticed with my pregnancies that the skin doesn't go until a huge proportion of the fat behind it goes. A problem with most of the bigger folds is that they still have a lot of fat behind them--they're THICK skin. And there's no way to convince that fat to bunch up under only part of the skin. If you really want to do something, coolsculpting appears to have some nice effects on them for that reason--able to do targeted fat destruction. And it's cheap and non-invasive. Honestly, I'd have a go at that before looking into a tummy tuck if I wanted to do something--it's less invasive, too, and you can do it more than once if you like.

I've never had work done but I'm weirdly fascinated by plastic surgery. :)
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your skin is very elastic like it only has so much give and stretch..some people more than others. It could go back or it could not don't be discouraged just keep working use that as your motivation.
  • keladry89
    keladry89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    hey! I started at 273, I've been bouncing from 160-170 for the past six months, and my goal weight is like 140-145. I'm five seven. Anyway, I find that this past six months of bouncing around has improved my loose skin a LOT I don't know it its from regaining some weight in better areas, or just the time, but my skin has improved. HOWEVER, it is still a problem, my stomach, and thighs are particularly bad, the side boob is bad too, but for me all these areas still have enough fat in them that its not quite fair to call them loose skin, they are loose fat. My arms have less fat in the skin and are less of a problem. Mainly its my stomach and thighs. I also have loose sort of everything? But that has improved significantly with my recent bopping around. I don't know what will happen now, I'm gonna try to lose some more weight soon (I want to be solidly under 170 before the months end), but I thought I would just share. Feel free to add me, I haven't been the most active lately, but I am making a renewed effort.