BMR & TDEE help

Options
I am trying to figure this all out!

According to the Eat To Perform site, my BMR is 1428 and my TDEE is 2214.

According to those numbers my Protein intake should be 150g, Carbs intake should be 235, and my fat intake should be 75g.

Right now I am eating around 1445cals, protein is 129g, Carbs are 147g, and fat is 41g.

It is clear I am not eating enough for everything that I do. I know I should be eating more, and I know I shouldn't be eating 2214cals, how do I figure out what my intake should be?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose, take 10-20% off your TDEE.
  • tonyalynn26
    tonyalynn26 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Okay right now I only have a goal of 10lbs, So I should eat between 1770 and 1880.

How do I figure my carbs, fats, and proteins out of that?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is the amount it takes to maintain*. So if you want to maintain your weight, eat that. If you want to lose weight, eat less. A pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories. If you want to lose a pound a week, eat 500 fewer calories per day, or 1714. Adjust up or down once you've given that number a shot for 4 weeks.

* keep in mind that all calculators are estimates, not the gospel.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to lose? Currently, your numbers say you should be on track to average 1.5 lb. loss a week, which is a safe number for those with more than 50 lb to lose. If you want to slow down to closer to 1 lb a week, eat an average of 1700 calories.

BMR means nothing. It is just a number that give a starting point for calculating TDEE
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Okay right now I only have a goal of 10lbs, So I should eat between 1770 and 1880.

How do I figure my carbs, fats, and proteins out of that?

That depends on you. Personally, I set my macros at 35% carb, 35% protein, and 30% fat. I am T2Dm, though, so you may want more carbs. If you don't know, plug your stats into MFP and use their defaults for a few weeks and adjust as necessary to fit your personal preferences.

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    American Medical Association recommends 0.8g/kg for adults as a standard RDA. This is for sedendary or low activity. Adjust upward if your strength training or nursing. For me, this works out to ~ 25%.

Fat intake is essential for proper hormone production, and carries micro nutrients that are not available from other sources. Typical recommendation is no less than 15-20% of your daily calories come from fat.

That leaves 50-55% available for carbs or increased intake of protein/fats. Different ppl will swear by different ratios. Different diets will tell you that this macro is better, and that one should be avoided.

Unless you have a specific healthy issue related to nutrition ( PCOS, IR, GI, etc ), the only general concern I am aware of is a warning about excessive protein intake, which studies show increases the risk of kidney disease.

If you don't have a specific plan you are trying to follow ( like Atkins, South Beach, or Caveman Keto ), the guided setup macros provided by MFP represent a fairly balanced nutrition profile you can use as a starting point.

BMR is minimum average calories required for basic metabolic function ... think sitting on the couch all day. Its not really valuable, except to be used as part of another calculation.

TDEE is calories needed to maintain current ( or input ) weight, when factoring in activity levels including exercise. It is a generic estimate that does not take into account a variety of metabolic and pharmacological ( ie medication ) variables that would make each person's number unique. Its an estimate.

As said by others, eat less than TDEE to lose weight. How fast will be based on the deficit. A common target is TDEE - 20%, or to calculate a deficit based on desired average weekly weight loss rate.

It is not considered healthy to have a gross deficit of more than 1k cal/day, and you should never have gross intake of < 1200 ( female )/1500 ( male ), without medical supervision.