Macros Question

Options
Obviously, it's extremely difficult to hit your macros spot on. How close should I be to my targets?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why is it difficult?

It is commonly said to use protein and fats as a minimum then make sure you meet your calorie goal.
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm over in protien by about 5%-8% regularly but don't know if that's a big deal. I'm usually slightly under in carbs and fat (2-5%). Just started using this app and like the community aspect so thought I would ask.
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    Mainly just trying to figure out what's close enough and what's way off base. I'm fine on the calorie front. (Don't always eat my exercise calories but always my daily.)
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't get too caught up and stressed out about hitting them dead on. I think you're right in the ballpark - those percentages to be off are minimal.
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    Okay thanks. :) Tried the macro/micro thing before and it just utterly perplexed me so I stopped. This app makes it easier. Just wasn't sure about the proximity to requirements.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking macros for about a year, but just recently started to get a little 'stricter' with trying to hit each one as closely as possible each day. It actually hasn't been that difficult, mainly because I pre-log. Pre-logging has been hugely helpful and I never end up at the end of the day with hardly any macros for dinner.

My main goal with macros is to be within 5g of each one. I don't treat fat and protein as minimums like some people do...I treat them like goals, because that's what they are. However, if I go over in protein, I try to stay under in carbs in the same amount. 10g over in protein, 10g under in carbs. If I go over in fats, I just try to make sure my calories are adding up to pretty close to my goal.

Some people might think I go to far with tracking macros, but I actually enjoy it and it's really just a routine at this point. I don't sit and worry about it, but I do what I can to get as close as possible. Is this absolutely necessary? No, but I don't do anything half-*kitten*. :smile:
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The only one that is critical when losing weight, is to get close to or over is the protein, to help save/protect muscle mass.

Overshooting protein by small amounts occasionally shouldn't be a concern. Most of the studies I am aware of showing kidney function factors are based on eating close to or over 50% of calories as protein. if your set to 25% and hit 31%, it probably wont have a measurable effect.

Day to day you can ignore it. If you notice a weekly average trend to exceed significantly ( > 10% over ), then you might want to restructure/tighten up your nutrition routine. If your not concerned with increase risk of kidney disease/stones, then you can ignore completely.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing really well with your tracking. Unless you are scanning everything from the labels you eat, there is going to be some error because not everything entered into the database is correct.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    jld0411 wrote: »
    My advice is don't get too caught up and stressed out about hitting them dead on. I think you're right in the ballpark - those percentages to be off are minimal.

+1
    Unless your a professional bodybuilder or competitive model, I wouldn't sweat being over on protein and fat. I'm always over on fat, usually within 2-3% on protein, and slightly under on carbs. If you're mindful of your eating, it seems to balance off over time.

• charitys_aloette
    Options
    Thanks for your input. :)
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    I've been tracking macros for about a year, but just recently started to get a little 'stricter' with trying to hit each one as closely as possible each day. It actually hasn't been that difficult, mainly because I pre-log. Pre-logging has been hugely helpful and I never end up at the end of the day with hardly any macros for dinner.

My main goal with macros is to be within 5g of each one. I don't treat fat and protein as minimums like some people do...I treat them like goals, because that's what they are. However, if I go over in protein, I try to stay under in carbs in the same amount. 10g over in protein, 10g under in carbs. If I go over in fats, I just try to make sure my calories are adding up to pretty close to my goal.

Some people might think I go to far with tracking macros, but I actually enjoy it and it's really just a routine at this point. I don't sit and worry about it, but I do what I can to get as close as possible. Is this absolutely necessary? No, but I don't do anything half-*kitten*. :smile:

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I prefer to look at weekly averages. I find I'm nearly spot-on then, whereas some days look a little wonky when I look at them individually.

My main focus is getting at least my minimum requirement of protein, I don't stress too much if my fat or carbs are slightly askew so long as I'm meeting my calorie goals.
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    Thanks, Lindsay. That seems to be my trend (over about the same in carbs/protien as I am under in the other) so good to know it's not a bad thing. I've had some great results with diet and training so I am also trying to take it to the next level.
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    Sorry. Lyndsey not Lindsay.
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    I've been comparing the nutritional facts to my packaging to ensure the numbers are correct.