Why can't I see my abs?!?!?!

Ok people who have done Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or 21 Day Fix (or any workout DVD that is similar) did you have visible abs after doing the workouts for a while or did you have to do something else along with them that specifically targeted abs to make them visible?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    You can do 300 crunches and 300 leg raises a day to BUILD the muscle. But, if you don't shed the fat overtop of the abs, they won't show.

And no, you can target reduce fat from a certain area. Fat loss happens on random spots, and it's different for every individual.

Abs are overrated anyhow. "Hey look at me, I have abs"..... but can you lift a car? (much cooler, imo)
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    You can do 300 crunches and 300 leg raises a day to BUILD the muscle. But, if you don't shed the fat overtop of the abs, they won't show.

And no, you can target reduce fat from a certain area. Fat loss happens on random spots, and it's different for every individual.

Abs are overrated anyhow. "Hey look at me, I have abs"..... but can you lift a car? (much cooler, imo)

I don't think I said anything about losing fat in a certain area. I'm 5'6" and 120 lbs don't have a lot of fat to lose but thanks for assuming I do.
    I also have read and done enough research and lost weight enough times to know that you can't lose fat in certain areas it happens where it happens.

Also in my opinion I could care less if a guy can lift a car but show me some sexy Channing Tatum abs and hello!!!

I'm just wondering if doing the vidoes is enough or if I should add something else in too? I also use an elliptical and run (outside when I can and also on a treadmill).
  • emzywemzy86
    emzywemzy86 Posts: 13 Member
    You need to get your body fat to a certain percentage to be able to see abs. I can almost see mine but my body fat is only approx 12%, I think in a woman to see and you need it around the 6-8% mark which is pretty dangerous, but this is what a lot of the bodybuilders do :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2015

I don't think I said anything about losing fat in a certain area. I'm 5'6" and 120 lbs don't have a lot of fat to lose but thanks for assuming I do.
    I also have read and done enough research and lost weight enough times to know that you can't lose fat in certain areas it happens where it happens.

Also in my opinion I could care less if a guy can lift a car but show me some sexy Channing Tatum abs and hello!!!

I'm just wondering if doing the vidoes is enough or if I should add something else in too? I also use an elliptical and run (outside when I can and also on a treadmill).

In that case, you don't have visible abs because you have too little ab muscle for anything to show. Visible abs are a combo of low fat and having enough muscle. The latter is likely your problem and no amount of elliptical or running will fix it. Lift heavy weights and eat more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    edited July 2015
    You can't see your abs because you have low levels of lean body mass and your body fat is too high to see them. It means you need to build muscle and lose fat. The DVD workouts are probably not going to get you there, you should consider adding an additional form of resistance training.
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks! That brings me to another question. Sorry if this is a stupid one but I'm inexperienced in the field of measuring body fat lol. How do you determine your % of body fat? Or where do you go to have this done?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited July 2015

If you can't see your abs then you have a layer of fat over your stomach, that is what he was getting at. The last place I lose fat is my stomach and can be ripped elsewhere when abs just start showing.

Keep at a small caloric deficit (0.5lb/week weight loss goal), get adequate protein, and lift heavy (follow a proper program) if you want to lose fat and maintain muscle which will help uncover the abs... ditch the Jillian Michaels BS.

No need to do cardio unless you enjoy it or want to eat more and still maintain the small deficit.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2015

Defensive much?

It doesn't matter if you're in a healthy weight range. It's all about body fat percentage. If your body fat percentage is low enough, you'll have visible abs. If it's not, you won't.

I've been lifting for over a year and dropped down to 116 lbs (at 5'5") and still didn't have visible abs. I'll likely have to bulk in order to build the muscle and then cut to shed the layer of fat on top. I'll probably never get around to doing that, so I've come to the conclusion that visible abs will probably never happen for me. I'm not really willing to lose anymore weight just for shredded abs - I like food too much. Also, visible abs aren't easy to maintain. You have to keep your body fat percentage really low or you'll lose them.
  • usmcmp
    You need to get your body fat to a certain percentage to be able to see abs. I can almost see mine but my body fat is only approx 12%, I think in a woman to see and you need it around the 6-8% mark which is pretty dangerous, but this is what a lot of the bodybuilders do :)

Most women can see abs around 18%. I can see mine at 21%.

body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg
  • Faelor
    Faelor Posts: 2 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    In that case, you don't have visible abs because you have too little ab muscle for anything to show. Visible abs are a combo of low fat and having enough muscle. The latter is likely your problem.
    Well said. The biggest factor is body fat though. Some people have abs that appear at ~12%, some more so at 8%. My buddy (personal trainer with multiple certificates, for what it's worth) didn't have abs appear until an estimated 7-8%. He would be "shredded" everywhere else and they just weren't visible -- despite his immense core strength.

The phrase is old, but "Abs are made in the kitchen" is correct.
  • emzywemzy86
    Some scales can show body fat %, you can also buy body fat monitors, or you can get a special instrument to measure (can't think what it's called) but you can work it out manually. eBay sell them I believe x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited July 2015

No way. A woman should see abs in the 16-18% range, a woman should not try and get below 10%, as that is essential fat, and less can reek havoc with your hormones.

A guy usually needs to be in the 10-12% BF% to see abs.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Calipers.
  • usmcmp

Defensive much?

It doesn't matter if you're in a healthy weight range. It's all about body fat percentage. If your body fat percentage is low enough, you'll have visible abs. If it's not, you won't.

I've been lifting for over a year and dropped down to 116 lbs (at 5'5") and still didn't have visible abs. I'll likely have to bulk in order to build the muscle and then cut to shed the layer of fat on top. I'll probably never get around to doing that, so I've come to the conclusion that visible abs will probably never happen for me. I'm not really willing to lose anymore weight just for shredded abs - I like food too much. Also, visible abs aren't easy to maintain. You have to keep your body fat percentage really low or you'll lose them.

There's a chance that genetically you have a difficult time building enough volume in your abdominal muscles to make them show. My abs have tons of volume, but my delts refuse to grow thanks to genetics.
  • usmcmp
    Some scales can show body fat %, you can also buy body fat monitors, or you can get a special instrument to measure (can't think what it's called) but you can work it out manually. eBay sell them I believe x

Those scales are highly inaccurate.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member

I don't know why you're being rude to this guy when he actually offered you helpful advice and a nice comment, but whatevs.

Lose fat and you'll see your abs. You have to have a really low body fat percentage to see abs.

That's what you need to "add" to your workouts. Losing more fat.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

No way. A woman should see abs in the 16-18% range, a woman should not try and get below 10%, as that is essential fat, and less can reek havoc with your hormones.

A guy usually needs to be in the 10-12% BF% to see abs.

I'm also never clear what people are exactly looking for when they say they want visible abs. Are "visible abs" the image above at 16-18% (defined 6 pack)? Or are the posters looking for the amount of "definition" at 20-22%? For some people, they might consider their abs visible at the level of the woman illustrating 25%.

I personally would consider my abs visible if they looked like the ones in the 20-22% image.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Abs are seen when body fat is low enough. Unfortunately some people will have to work extra hard for this to happen. Genetics will determine where you lose fat last and for many, the abdominal area will be it. No amount of extra exercise or programs will help by just doing them more. It's more just about reducing your body fat percentage and that has more to do with CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emzywemzy86
    Sorry I did get the numbers wrong (baby brain) it is 10-12% in women and my body fat is 22% haha let me see if I can find a useful linkf35lce4r9nqe.jpg