how do i get rid of belly?

Options
Hi. Im 5'9 and 150lb with belly fat. How can i get rid of it?
8-4 office job
Walk for 30min 3 times week on lunch break
Quick strolls during morning and afternoon breaks
Weights at home 2-3 times week for 30 min sessions
Every few days i do 30min on eliptical or evening walk.
Weekends are usually spent at the park or zoo walking all afternoon.
Eating is 200cals every breakfast
Lunch and supper about 500-600 cals each
Snacks are always yogurt. No sugar.
Im t1 diabetic.
I usually splurge on weekend and have chips and candy friday night and fastfood on Saturday. Couple junk things on sunday too.
Recently started 80/20 rule
Suggestions?

Replies

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE minus 20%. You can't spot lose fat. But eating at a calorie deficient will help you lose fat. Please read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    eat 500 below maintenance and increase exercise
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit + Time.

Nothing else will do it.

Nothing else *can* do it.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can use weights, do crunches and six inches and all that to tighten up the muscles, but the only way to get rid of excess fat is to keep losing weight. It will come off eventually. :)
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love a quote I read from Blogilates (youtube Pilates instructor).....Good ab's are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen....i.e work on abdominal exercises that will strengthen those muscles and follow the advice you've been given already about diet. Shed the pounds and build the ab's and eventually you'll see them!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Forget about losing weight so much and start reading the "body recomposition" thread/s in Maintaining Weight.

Also, this:

muscle_zpsqquja4ua.jpg
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know that there is no such thing as spot reducing, but start working those abs anyway. As you increase the muscle you will feel better about them. I recommend full sit-ups and side planks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Forget about losing weight so much and start reading the "body recomposition" thread/s in Maintaining Weight.

Also, this:

muscle_zpsqquja4ua.jpg

^^^This is it.

Your ht/wt puts you within a healthy weight range, so you would probably be looking for a recomp to hit your goal.

Abs come from lowering your overall BF%. You can do ab workouts if you want, but the burn is pretty low, so they're pretty inefficient for overall fat loss/calorie burn (tip: sit-ups aren't an ab workout....the hip flexors do most of the work).

Anyway....IMHO the best way to lose that last bit of belly fat is:

Moderate caloric deficit + work (progressive lifting and cardio if you like it) + patience = goal.

You can get there with just the deficit and patience, but you'll probably be happier with the aesthetics if you add in the work.

I'll also leave this here.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Body recomp seems too difficult RE: hitting macros and such....Must easier to eat at deficit and lift weights and do cardio. I love my body now just hate the fat on my belly!!! One thing! Everything else is good :smile:
    Maybe i eat too much? Don't know....i measure everything but i eat junk on weekends too...My typical week for food is: (Mon-Fri)
    Breakfast: 175g of greek yogurt 0% fat plain with 70g frozen berries
    Snack: Yoplait 0% 7g carbs 35cal yogurt
    Lunch: wholegrain bread sandwich w/processed ham/turkey/chk (mustard, cheese slice or cheddar cheese), apple, peach (basically always 2 fruit servings), hot banana peppers, 2 stocks celery or 1 carrot
    Supper: Chili OR Pizza on Naan bread OR Meat veggies and greek yogurt OR Subway/Pita Pit/Tim Hortons sandwich OR Stirfry OR homemade soup with or without slice bread
    Bedsnack: 175g of greek yogurt 0% fat plain with or without 70g frozen berries OR popsicle low sugar...
    Should I eliminate all snacks????

This is a weekend:
    Sat: Greek yogurt for breaky OR toast w/ peanut butter and fruit
    Lunch: Fast food OR might be a healthy at home sandwich (grilled cheese egg sandwich/left over supper)
    PM- maybe some candy
    Supper: Could be fast food again or healthy homemade supper like listed above
    Late night: CHIPS!!!!! Diet pop
    Sun: Might skip breakfast and sleep in and eat lunch. Probably something healthy from feeling like shite from eating fast food the day before....lol
    Supper: something homemade and healthy
    Bedsnack: 175g of greek yogurt 0% fat plain with or without 70g frozen berries OR popsicle low sugar...

I should probably really clean up my weekends and eat only junk once and not go overboard...see how that works over a month...

Drinks: Only water and 1 coffee a day and occassional ice coffee from tims (no base, just cream and 2 splenda)
  • RGv2
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BetesBitch wrote: »
    Body recomp seems too difficult RE: hitting macros and such....Must easier to eat at deficit and lift weights and do cardio. I love my body now just hate the fat on my belly!!! One thing! Everything else is good :smile:
    Maybe i eat too much? Don't know....i measure everything but i eat junk on weekends too...My typical week for food is: (Mon-Fri)
    Lunch: wholegrain bread sandwich w/processed ham/turkey/chk (mustard, cheese slice or cheddar cheese), apple, peach (basically always 2 fruit servings), hot banana peppers, 2 stocks celery or 1 carrot
    Supper: Chili OR Pizza on Naan bread OR Meat veggies and greek yogurt OR Subway/Pita Pit/Tim Hortons sandwich OR Stirfry OR homemade soup with or without slice bread

This is a weekend:
    Lunch: Fast food OR might be a healthy at home sandwich (grilled cheese egg sandwich/left over supper)
    PM- maybe some candy
    Sun: Might skip breakfast and sleep in and eat lunch. Probably something healthy from feeling like shite from eating fast food the day before....lol

I should probably really clean up my weekends and eat only junk once and not go overboard...see how that works over a month...

Drinks: Only water and 1 coffee a day and occassional ice coffee from tims (no base, just cream and 2 splenda)

If you want advice on your deficit as well, I'd recommend opening up your diary. Not posting what you eat here. You're at a healthy weight for your height. Your deficit should be smaller w/ resistance and the cardio you like. Much like a recomp.

Edit: NVM, I see it's open now. You're not logging anything, that should be priority #1 to shore up and make sure it's accurate.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Stay dedicated to your plan. Before you know it you will reach your goal. Sounds like you have it together. Use a scale to weigh foods and be accurate.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This is a weekend:
    PM- maybe some candy

You are worrying about a lot of things that don't matter. Eat at a calorie deficit until the fat that you want to lose is gone. Lifting weights would help to accomplish this faster.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    to just get rid of belly fat, I believe more or more intense cardio would help. because you can't spot reduce, you just have to decrease your overall body fat.

doing ab work will help with definition. but it will not reveal an abs if that's what you are going for
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    T-Nation said it best:

"The best ab exercise is three sets of stop eating so damn much."
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    Figure out your TDEE minus 20%. You can't spot lose fat. But eating at a calorie deficient will help you lose fat. Please read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

I did this calculation and it said 75 weeks to lose 10lbs WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I should be able to in 6 weeks ffs!

• RGv2
    Options

I did this calculation and it said 75 weeks to lose 10lbs WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I should be able to in 6 weeks ffs!

At your ht/wt....no....no you shouldn't. Like we've said. You probably don't have "weight" to lose but are trying to lower your BF%.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

You can, you'll just lose more muscle than is necessary. I'm not sure what math you used to get 75 weeks to lose 10 pounds, though.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lol. "i want to lose belly fat but i want to do it the easy way and as quickly as possible"
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" as well I weigh 130lbs. I still have belly fat, I workout at the gym and I am still trying to get rid of it.