Is there a way to prevent extra skin?

Sarah_uk
Sarah_uk Posts: 209
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I need to lose a lot of weight and I was wondering if there is a way to prevent extra skin?

Does exercise do anything at all?

I know extra skin isn't the end of the world,but if it's possible to prevent it I'd like to.

Do firming lotions do anything?

Replies

• Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Exercising will help tone you up. I have never found any lotions to do the trick...
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Toning as you lose, you need to be toning your muscle long before you get to the point youll see it (especially for women that need to flatten their tummy)

Losing slowly helps as well

Staying hydrated

I do use firming lotions which I personally think helps, as well as oils to help with my stretch marks, but hydrated skin (no matter what you use) retains better elasticity and regains elasticty quicker, helping it shrink as you lose. Also, it typically CAN take a full year once you hit your goal weight for your skin to finish shrinking with you, so dont jump to surgery if youve been at your goal 2 months and still have some sag
  • blueturquoise
    blueturquoise Posts: 13 Member
    i would make ure you are drinking lots of water and take a vitamin e supplement so boost skins elasticity, and toning excercises so that your skin can recuperate a bit. Some firming lotions do work a little.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Strength training. It will help build muscle and will help keep the skin in place. I've lost almost 60lbs and honestly.. my skin looks pretty darn good. I also use lotion everyday on it -- not a firming lotion, just lotion to keep it hydrated. Drink a bunch of water too.

I think if you lose slowly (which is the best way to lose!) and you do strength training combined with cardio -- you can lose weight and get your skin to go back. Perhaps not ALL the way, but I think it is amazingly resilient. :)
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    I personally think strength training with heavy weights has helped me alot. The muscle fills out the skin.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    It depends on how much extra skin you're talking about. Some can be fixed with exercise and losing weight slowly, but huge amounts of extra skin are sometimes only "fixed" with surgery.
This discussion has been closed.