Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BetesBitch wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Okay so TDEE is 2240 for me as I exercise 3-5 times a week (moderately active)
    20% less is 1792...but if i eat 1792 is going to take too long! Now if i eat 1300 the calculator says 14 weeks to drop 10lbs and hopefully 5lbs of that at least will be straight from belly.

Do you think it will be ok for me to eat that low? I will log it too to make sure just like before when i lost - i logged...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (This TDEE stuff is endlessly confusing & I've only just felt like I've gotten a handle on it myself.) But I don't think you factor your exercise into your activity level. Or if you do, don't count exercise calories or you might end up double dipping.

I've calculated my TDEE with my activity level set to sedentary. I work a desk job too. I'm only 5'2 but I eat 1400 a day. It's a modest deficit for me though, somewhere in between TDEE minus 5-10%. Then I enter my exercise calories separately and if I want to eat them I can.

TDEE includes your exercise. TDEE is your BMR + non-exercise activity + exercise. Unless you are working out hard for an hour plus per day every day of the week you are still fairly sedentary on the TDEE calculator.

Now im confused lol, should i have set that TDEE calculator to sedentary for me? Office job and work out 30min for 3-5 days a week????

Yes, that's sedentary unless you are very active on the weekends, which would be lightly active.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ok so TDEE is really 1760 for me then...minus 500cals a day for deficit = 1260cals
    So really that's about 20% deficit and i should be good to lose fat/no LBM on it. I am aware i will lose some LBM but im okay with that cuz i was smaller this way before and LOVED my belly. But that was before a baby and to be honest, baby didnt make much changes to my belly. Just fat, good old fat!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    20% less is 1792...but if i eat 1792 is going to take too long! Now if i eat 1300 the calculator says 14 weeks to drop 10lbs and hopefully 5lbs of that at least will be straight from belly.

Do you think it will be ok for me to eat that low? I will log it too to make sure just like before when i lost - i logged...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (This TDEE stuff is endlessly confusing & I've only just felt like I've gotten a handle on it myself.) But I don't think you factor your exercise into your activity level. Or if you do, don't count exercise calories or you might end up double dipping.

I've calculated my TDEE with my activity level set to sedentary. I work a desk job too. I'm only 5'2 but I eat 1400 a day. It's a modest deficit for me though, somewhere in between TDEE minus 5-10%. Then I enter my exercise calories separately and if I want to eat them I can.

TDEE includes your exercise. TDEE is your BMR + non-exercise activity + exercise. Unless you are working out hard for an hour plus per day every day of the week you are still fairly sedentary on the TDEE calculator.

Shoot, see? Just when I thought I had it.

So like, my BMR is ~1300 (maintenance ~1550). If I set my activity level to sedentary -5% it recommends about 1400. So I eat that. Then I calculate my exercise calories separately? Is that right?

I mean I've been losing weight so I probably shouldn't questions the system if it's working. But I get so frustrated that I just. don't. get it! Haha.
  • usmcmp
    Options

So like, my BMR is ~1300 (maintenance ~1550). If I set my activity level to sedentary -5% it recommends about 1400. So I eat that. Then I calculate my exercise calories separately? Is that right?

I mean I've been losing weight so I probably shouldn't questions the system if it's working. But I get so frustrated that I just. don't. get it! Haha.

When you use the TDEE method you don't add in exercise calories. Those are already part of the TDEE and you would be double counting them. If you went on a 9 mile hike you could add in more, but your normal exercise is already accounted for in the TDEE method.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

When you use the TDEE method you don't add in exercise calories. Those are already part of the TDEE and you would be double counting them. If you went on a 9 mile hike you could add in more, but your normal exercise is already accounted for in the TDEE method.

Even if it's set to sedentary? Try as I might I don't work out consistently enough to know I have those calories built in already.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm only speaking for myself because I believe everyone responds differently. I hold my weight in my belly. Years ago I worked out obsessively. Hard core working out every spare second I had. I was thin and toned everywhere except my flabby belly. Fast forward to years later. In my attempts to lower my cholesterol (little to no exercise) I switched to a whole foods vegan diet for two years. The weight fell off and my tummy was gone. I personally think it was either the lack of fat/oils or the lack of sugar. I had to quit eating that way for medical reasons and my belly is back. I'm trying to cut back on sugar right now to see if that makes a difference. I have a major sweet tooth. Good luck! I hope that whatever you try works.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    pilates has great ab dvds. the exercises truly work if you do them everyday
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your diary to see what you were eating and I didn't see any recordings. But my dr told me to back off of the carbs..... Make sure that you do that and I don't know your age, but it does become more of a challenge as we age. I have heard of body sculpting, but some of the folks on your feed do not have a high opinion of it so there you go...that is my 2 cents worth....wishing you the very best outcome....planks are good to if you can withstand it....My back begs my pardon when I do it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ok so TDEE is really 1760 for me then...minus 500cals a day for deficit = 1260cals
    So really that's about 20% deficit and i should be good to lose fat/no LBM on it. I am aware i will lose some LBM but im okay with that cuz i was smaller this way before and LOVED my belly. But that was before a baby and to be honest, baby didnt make much changes to my belly. Just fat, good old fat!

You're of a healthy weight already. You should be cutting at more along the lines of TDEE -10% or at about 1500, IMHO.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I tried to look at your diary to see what you were eating and I didn't see any recordings. But my dr told me to back off of the carbs..... Make sure that you do that and I don't know your age, but it does become more of a challenge as we age. I have heard of body sculpting, but some of the folks on your feed do not have a high opinion of it so there you go...that is my 2 cents worth....wishing you the very best outcome....planks are good to if you can withstand it....My back begs my pardon when I do it.

I eat about 125-150g carbs a day. If it's a weekend that could go up to 350g carbs in one day....

Im 34

Thanks

• BetesBitch
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

You're of a healthy weight already. You should be cutting at more along the lines of TDEE -10% or at about 1500, IMHO.

1500 sounds nice! BUT it means longer time right? Time is not on my side. Im pretty sure if i lose 10lbs my belly will be significately smaller...I don't care about losing LBM. I don't want to be in a fitness show.
  • usmcmp
    edited July 2015
    Options

1500 sounds nice! BUT it means longer time right? Time is not on my side. Im pretty sure if i lose 10lbs my belly will be significately smaller...I don't care about losing LBM. I don't want to be in a fitness show.

No, you do care about lean body mass. If you lose 10 pounds without caring about lean body mass you'll be losing around 7 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of lean mass. Losing lean mass means you have to lose more weight in the long run and it means a lower BMR. You should want to keep all the lean mass you can.
  • TeenageDream1369
    TeenageDream1369 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    TEA.
    Green tea to be exact.
    If you eat a a cal deficit, put in work, and still aren't seeing results where you want in a reasonable amount of time, hot and slightly caffeinated beverages will help boost fat loss, especially around the tum area!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    TEA.
    Green tea to be exact.
    If you eat a a cal deficit, put in work, and still aren't seeing results where you want in a reasonable amount of time, hot and slightly caffeinated beverages will help boost fat loss, especially around the tum area!

No.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    TEA.
    Green tea to be exact.

No.

No and no and no. lmao
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    I am 5'9" as well I weigh 130lbs. I still have belly fat, I workout at the gym and I am still trying to get rid of it.

I'm 5'9" and the last time I competed in a bodybuilding competition I was 155 pounds. For many people gaining lean mass is an important step to improving body composition and reducing fat.
    I am 5'9" as well I weigh 130lbs. I still have belly fat, I workout at the gym and I am still trying to get rid of it.
    I looked at ur pics...um no hardly!!! you look fab! i have like a 5lb blob of it right on my belly...its biggggg

usmcmp I know I am working on that.

betesbitch thank you :) but I just lost 6lbs which made a difference. its still there though and no abs.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    So OP just doesn't want to listen about having to lose body fat but not necessarily weight and that spot reducing isn't actually a thing, huh? That's a new one.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I'm 5'9" and the last time I competed in a bodybuilding competition I was 155 pounds. For many people gaining lean mass is an important step to improving body composition and reducing fat.
    I looked at ur pics...um no hardly!!! you look fab! i have like a 5lb blob of it right on my belly...its biggggg

usmcmp I know I am working on that.

betesbitch thank you :) but I just lost 6lbs which made a difference. its still there though and no abs.

I figured you knew that, I said it more for others :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

No, you do care about lean body mass. If you lose 10 pounds without caring about lean body mass you'll be losing around 7 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of lean mass. Losing lean mass means you have to lose more weight in the long run and it means a lower BMR. You should want to keep all the lean mass you can.

33696215.jpg

Ya....you might get a little smaller, buy your BF% won't change a whole lot. No one is talking about a fitness show here. I don't think you're understanding the difference, and importance, between scale weight and BF% changes when it comes to the aesthetics you're looking for.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Even if it's set to sedentary? Try as I might I don't work out consistently enough to know I have those calories built in already.
    TDEE doesn't really have settings. It just is. MFP doesn't use TDEE, it uses NEAT; basically TDEE except for exercise, which TDEE includes.