Front of shin discomfort while running

Options
13»

Replies

• samanthasinton
    samanthasinton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get going with the C25K program, but face the same issue. I get to Day 2 or 3 and my shins start hurting and I need to rest for days or cut runs short. I am still pretty heavy and thought maybe that was the issue. I live close to the wonderful running trails by the Mississippi River in Minneapolis and desperately want to be a runner. Except for the shin issues, I enjoy running. I don't want to accept that I need to wait until I lose weight.

I have tried icing after my run and that seems to help the recovery time. However, I still have pain during my run which makes it hard to run for longer. I heard that compression socks may help. Anyone have experience with these for helping shin pain DURING their run?

• samanthasinton
    samanthasinton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    on my past couple of runs the front of my shins have been a bit sore/uncomfortable. As soon as I popped it into google it said 'shin splints stop running' but it's only mild and stops after I get home and stretch. I'm on a beginners walk-run programme and only on my 5th run! How can I strengthen/stretch my shins to stop the pain and prevent shin splints?

hi,
    Same! I have had this problem for 6 months plus and I'm so frustrated,I have rested on and off as it would be sore after exercise and during but then calm down after stretching etc. I've recently took up running only under 5k maybe 1 a week, unfortunately my run on the weekend left me walking like a granny haha too much pain, heavy and front of my leg was tender and just felt as though there was a rod in my leg, if that makes any sense haha. I do attend les mills body attack class once or twice a week with gym work in between, go 5/6 days a week. I have my first 5k colour run in Newcastle in 9days but hopefully resting my legs will be ok?. I hope you rest and ice and feel better soon, keep up the hard work.

Sam x
  • metamorphosisofnarcissus
    metamorphosisofnarcissus Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What kind of surface do you run on?

maybe check this out

Start with softer surfaces and progress to harder ones as you can tolerate it
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Following up on IsaackGMOON's comments on foot strike.

I am a forefoot striker and I must warn you that I suffer from shin splints as well as achilles tendon thickening as a result of running like this. I wake up with cold muscles in the morning or after sitting a long time and my ankles HURT. It takes me a while for the tendon to warm up walking around, so for like ten minutes or so, this 25 year old woman hobbles like an 90 year old woman.

I will say that most running resources I see say that midfoot strike is ideal. I won't argue though that forefoot strike feels more natural.

Additionally, I suffered from shin splints a long time ago and a physical therapist instructed me to sit in a chair and write the alphabet with a pointed toe on the ground. She said this would help me to strengthen that region of the leg. Be careful though, persisting through pain may lead you to trouble. I had this problem when I got x-rays and was found to have bilateral microfractures in both of my tibias. So be sure to listen to your body.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I am a forefoot striker and I must warn you that I suffer from shin splints as well as achilles tendon thickening as a result of running like this. I wake up with cold muscles in the morning or after sitting a long time and my ankles HURT. It takes me a while for the tendon to warm up walking around, so for like ten minutes or so, this 25 year old woman hobbles like an 90 year old woman.

I will say that most running resources I see say that midfoot strike is ideal. I won't argue though that forefoot strike feels more natural.

Additionally, I suffered from shin splints a long time ago and a physical therapist instructed me to sit in a chair and write the alphabet with a pointed toe on the ground. She said this would help me to strengthen that region of the leg. Be careful though, persisting through pain may lead you to trouble. I had this problem when I got x-rays and was found to have bilateral microfractures in both of my tibias. So be sure to listen to your body.

How far do you run? I'm just curious what because I run just about as fore-front as it gets.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sam I'm going to try these compression socks on my next run I'll let you know how it goes! I'm trying walking on my heels for 30 seconds a few times a day as well
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

How far do you run? I'm just curious what because I run just about as fore-front as it gets.

I had to stop running for unrelated issues, so I can't give you an accurate number. Why do you ask? Maybe I can answer that.
  • lonely_guy
    lonely_guy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The last time I used to run I weighed 145lbs, I started again at 200 lbs, but most of that was belly fat ... I have since lost about 40 lbs of fat though the weight is still the same, and I no longer have shin pain, even in my fastest 12 mph run (* so much for those 11 sec 100 yard sprints *) I have gorilla shoes for toe running and energy return heel strike shoes ... though I will say a super fancy energy absorb and return track was pain free to run on it the during the times I still had the pain
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    thank you - I started at the end of June and I'm doing 3 runs a week. I did cycling on an exercise bike before but I had to have a month break because I had a virus.

I'm also thinking - should I reconsider the shoes I wear during the day when not running? My work shoes are just little ballet flats with thin soles and not very much support - might changing these make a difference?

I have shin splints in one leg. I used to have them in both legs until i found a GREAT physio who knew what he was talking about.. He watched me walk, run, assessed my shoes and showed me how to change my biomechanics, changed my heel-strike to a mid-strike, change my cadence, and take smaller steps. Now I have shin splints in just one leg. It's been going on for a few weeks now and my physio is happy for me to continue running 2 days a week.

I run 2-3km in the middle of the week and 5km on the weekend. I have a rest day after each running day (I sometimes go for easy walks on rest days) and I walk 3-5km on days before my runs.

I ice on and off after each run and sometimes the day after. I also wear compression sleeves on my shins when I run (they give a lot of support as they stop the muscles moving too much around the shin I find) and I wear them the whole next day if my leg/s are feeling sore.

I find that the first km of each run, my leg can be tender and sometimes it gets better as I go.. and other times it's fine at the start and becomes tender towards the end.

I do stretches after I run as I find stretching before my runs actually aggrivates it, for some reason.

I am also trying to run more on my forefeet as I find this avoids shin pain during runs.

When I am not walking/running, I wear flat shoes with no arch support or cushioning (my feet are nuetral with good arch support) and I find this gives my shin relief, along with the compression sleeve.

(I usually only wear my compression sleeve on the sore leg, unless both legs feel fatigued after a run, then I will wear them on both legs to help with muscle repair).

Hoping I will get through it soon. Shin splints are definately a pain in the a**!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You need shoes for running, not walking shoes. You need more cushioning in your shoes. Buy better ones and you probably won't get them. Its not your gait that causes shin splints.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Shin_splints
    Summary
    'Shin splints' refers to pain felt anywhere along the shinbone from knee to ankle. People who play sports that involve a lot of running are particularly prone to shin splints. Treatment options include rest, the regular use of icepacks on the affected area, and anti-inflammatory medication such as aspirin.

‘Shin splints’ is the common term for medial tibial stress syndrome. It refers to pain felt anywhere along the shinbone from knee to ankle. People who play sports that involve a lot of running are particularly prone to this injury. One of the most common reasons for this pain is overuse, such as trying to exercise beyond your current level of fitness.

The exact cause of the pain is unknown. It may be caused by the tendons and muscles that run the length of the shin pulling on the bone and creating inflammation. More recent research suggests it is more likely a stress reaction from the bone.

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am so sore from running the other day. I had an unusual amount of energy and decided to run a bit faster for just 2 miles and BAM, bilateral shin splints. I've been hiking a lot and inclines do tend to elongate the calve muscles and shorten the shins. Whatever it was, I blame running faster than I normally do, in turn causing me to heel strike rather than my normal mid strike. Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I'm guessing it's just my body saying, slow down, we're not ready for that.