Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Losing weight while breastfeeding

Options
Hi! I'm Sara and I'm 28 years old! I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old who is still EBF. Just wanting to meet others who are trying to keep your supply up while trying to lose weight because it's a tricky task and I'm all for some advice! :)

Replies

• Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 month old who is EBF. I just joined an 8 week weightloss challenge and I need to learn how to log my BF calories so I can eat them :) plus my crossfit calories. So I'm a little confused!
  • MamaHokie
    MamaHokie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My 13-month-old still nurses 2-3x/day. I didn't focus on my weight for a year. I waited to really attack the calorie counting until he was getting a solid portion of his nutrition from foods because I wanted to make sure he was getting enough and I could keep up my supply. I agree that trying to keep up your supply while actively trying to lose weight is a tricky task. Since I didn't feel like I could do both well, i opted to put baby's needs first. It's only for such a short season. We're to the point now that if I stopped making milk we'd both be okay.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My kids are now 6 and 9, but I breastfed them both for two years each. The good thing about breastfeeding is that it tends to help you lose weight. At least, it did for me. (Too bad I gained it back!) Of course, drinking a lot of water helps with supply. My first one was sensitive to dairy proteins in my breastmilk, so I had to eliminate all dairy for about a year while breastfeeding her-- including cheese-- so that helped with dropping pounds. Not saying you should do that, but hey, it's an idea! Congrats on being a breastfeeding mama!