C25K Training on Treadmill

Options
Hi All,

I was reading about this subject in the c25k group and read that the treadmill is easier than running outside. I'm on week 4/day 3 of c25k and I've done every workout thus far on the treadmill. I'm signed up for my first 5k in mid-August and am a little concerned now that training on the treadmill won't necessarily translate that easily to running outdoors.

Will increasing the incline help with this? Or is the best option to start taking my workouts outdoors? I prefer to run on the treadmill but don't want to complete the program indoors only to find that I can't keep up outside.

Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Will increasing the incline help with this?

Not particularly, received wisdom is that 2% replicates the difference. There is some research that substantiates that, but the key point is that you need to be doing an 8min/ mile for it to really have much effect.

Train out in the real world if you want to replicate your race experience.

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I can attest to treadmill running being much easier than running outside. I thought I was a real bada$$ until I got off the treadmill and put my shoes on an actual pavement. Found out really quickly I have a long way to go! However, treadmill running is better than NOT running (or any exercise) at all. No help on the incline or how to make it comparable to outdoors.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If your goal is to run a race then you really should make the transition to outside as soon as possible. It is definitely different and you don't want to get 5 steps from the starting line on race day and be shocked. Personally, if I had to do all of my running on a treadmill I simply wouldn't run.
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find that running outside is easier for me; mentally! Also, my treadmill is in the garage so it is hot as heck so I am still getting acclimated to the heat. But hills, trails, elevation that is a whole other story.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try my workout outside tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have to run on the treadmill because my city isn't exactly runner-friendly. I do all my runs at at least 2% incline.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K on the treadmill I adjusted the incline about 1.5% percent to help mimic the slight road elevation. I joined a running group around the time that I reached the 4th week of C25K and have been running outside ever since because the treadmill bores me! The road has been harder on my legs and knees than a treadmill, but being outside in the fresh air and seeing different sights has been amazing in motivating me to continue running. I am sure once winter hits, I will be back on the treadmill for running, but for now I am enjoying the summer!

Good luck during your 5k next month!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I find running outside easier, too. Airflow is a big part of it, I'm sure. Even with fans going, I feel stifled running indoors. And I don't run at once absolutely consistent pace. Being forced to run at the exact pace of the treadmill just feel unnatural to me.

Now, I exclusively run outdoors. I hate the dreadmill more than I hate cold, rain, snow and heat.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Two weekdays on the treadmill @ 1.5% incline. Saturday long run outdoors. Last half marathon was 1:41:14 (7:45 pace). Seems to work pretty good for me. The key is to get at least SOME running outdoors. I also highly recommend a HRM to make sure your outdoor effort matches your indoor effort.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I have a Fitbit charge HR so I'll be sure to use it. I'll up the incline when I do treadmill workouts and try to get a couple outdoor runs in per week. First one is tomorrow so I'm curious to see how I'll do.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue (as I see it) is your treadmill surface is completely flat and smooth. The real word is anything but flat and smooth. If you get used to running many miles on a treadmill and then try to run outside, your risk of injuring joints and muscles that are suddenly forced into use due to the uneven ground goes way up.

Plus, treadmills are boring. :)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I try to do both. I love running on the treadmill (usually just 1% incline) with the fans blowing for broke and stinking watching a movie. LOL. I could run for hours (or at least the length of a blow-em-up movie).

But at least once a week, I try to get out and run on real roads/paths, in the heat and humidity. I'm slower (about 1 mph slower--ugh), and my asthma will kick in occasionally, and it's way harder to stay hydrated. I don't like it! But I sure wouldn't want to find all that out on race day.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    voqrqymd40jm.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Did my c25k workout outside today and really don't know why I was so hesitant to do so, especially when I live in such a beautiful neighborhood. I definitely felt more tired but the beautiful views were worth it!