Working out at work????

Options
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has found any great ways to burn calories while at work? The most active I get at work now is walking 20 steps from the computer to the bathroom, and ten steps from our counter to my desk. Sigh. I don't have motivation by the time I get home at night to get on the treadmill (I need to). But anyway, I need ideas! You guys are great looking foreword to the feedback!

Replies

• hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you have any stairs you can do? What about a quick skipping rope?
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    consciously engage your core while sitting. Do this at least 15 minutes per hour. Do some chair dips (use your desk if you have a rolly chair) Drink more water so you'll take that trip to the bathroom more often :smile: If you have a cordless phone, try walking while taking phone calls.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    We have a fitness center at work now, but before we had one, I would make sure I did extra work, I do a physical job though, so I can get physical activity quite easily at work.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I work from home so that may give me more freedom than you have available to you, but I sit and take calls for 8 hours a night. I found a little under the desk pedal machine that I can use between calls and I have also taken to sitting on a 65" pilates ball for a couple of hours at a time, doesn't seem like much, but it's actually strengthing my muscles, first time I did it I could only sit for about 30 mins, and I'm up to four hours now. I can feel it in my stomach, legs, butt and back, plus since there is no back I can't slouch and have to sit up straight which is improving my posture. I also have a friend that works from home and her husband built her a tredmill desk. She walks all night long while doing her job, she only has it set at like 2mph so she doesn't get short of breath.
  • abbyholm
    abbyholm Posts: 12
    Options
    Try ditching the chair for a few hours and standing while you work. Sitting down burns almost no calories, as your muscles are doing next to zero work. Standing, however, engages your muscles and burns more calories per hour. This may be hard depending on how high your desk is, but standing during phone calls or another activity where you don't have to be at the computer can be doable. You'll also increase your blood flow and alertness.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You need to take a break from the computer every 30 mins. So go run up and down the stairs. Each time you go to the toilet, do 10 lunges or squats. Just figure things into your daily routine. If I need to talk to a colleague, I go see them instead of calling/emailing them.

Vigorous punches or jumping jacks each time you go to the bathroom?
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    When on a break leave the building and go to your car then walk back inside. Also another tip is to park your car at the very end of the lot if you leave before it gets dark that way you are walking more then normal. Also walk to the farest bathroom away if you can.
  • sbcohn22
    sbcohn22 Posts: 7
    Options
    I was just wondering about this. I often get up and do standing lunges or lifted-heel squats, as well as tricep dips on my desk. I'm more interested in other strength-training type things then calorie-burning. I always take the stairs, and sometimes go to the bathroom on a different floor just to take the stairs.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I keep one of my light resistance bands at work and during my lunch break I do 4 quick (with very little rest in between) sets with biceps, squats, shoulders, and bent over back fly which take about 10 minutes. You will work up a little sweat but not enough to ruin your suit. Then I have my lunch and back to work. Just enough to kick my metabolism into a higher gear until the day is over.

If you don't have space in your office then go outside - who cares if you look funny. If you have room in the office then do it there. it's likely one of your coworkers will be interested and may even join you the next time.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Another idea. Can you walk to work or park farther away and walk from the car? If that is safe where you work it'd be a good way to get extra cardio in.
  • stevenc68
    stevenc68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple things i have done

1. I have a desk i can stand or sit at
    2. I bring my bike to work and at lunch time i ride 13.5 miles to burn some calories
    Or
    3. I ride my bike to work and from work 12.2 miles each way

The bike forces you to finish your workout, unlike a stationary option that you can quit when tired.

If you dont have motivation after work, fit in the treadmill in the morning before work and see how you feel about your accomplishments when you get home at night

Steve
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the suggestions for at work exercise but I think the main issue is lack of motivation. If you aren't motivated to do a real workout at home then what is going to keep you motivated to do these little extra things at work?

hard work exercising (and smart exercise choices) and disciplined eating is what will get you to your goal.
  • spitfire423
    spitfire423 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks guys. I thought about bringing some hand weights. We don't have any stairs. I wear heels all day every day so I'm a lil limited I'm a busy mom so I do do some physical work but basically our job is fast pace mentally that's about it. We have one bathroom we don't get a lunch there are only four employees so breaks nada. Lol. What else can I tell you about my job. I'm not trying to shoot you guys down you all have awesome ideas. I can start parking farther away and I'm always pacing on the phone haha. Also if your bored look thru my diary and see what I might change. That way I'm doing good I just like ideas and input. :)
  • spitfire423
    Options
    I agree with all of the suggestions for at work exercise but I think the main issue is lack of motivation. If you aren't motivated to do a real workout at home then what is going to keep you motivated to do these little extra things at work?

hard work exercising (and smart exercise choices) and disciplined eating is what will get you to your goal.

Very true. However I'm mentally exhausted by the time I get home and get my kids fed and bathed n in bed its usually late by the time I get done I just want sleep. I used to hit the treadmill then go to bed but I fell away from the habit. The little things at work are about all I will get accomplished haha
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I thought about bringing some hand weights. We don't have any stairs. I wear heels all day every day so I'm a lil limited I'm a busy mom so I do do some physical work but basically our job is fast pace mentally that's about it. We have one bathroom we don't get a lunch there are only four employees so breaks nada. Lol. What else can I tell you about my job. I'm not trying to shoot you guys down you all have awesome ideas. I can start parking farther away and I'm always pacing on the phone haha. Also if your bored look thru my diary and see what I might change. That way I'm doing good I just like ideas and input. :)

I think you've ruled out all exercise possibilities!
  • spitfire423
    Options

I think you've ruled out all exercise possibilities!

ME TOO HAHA HOWEVER TODAY I DID JOG IN PLACE FOR A COUPLE OF MIN AND WALKED THE SALES FLOOR A FEW EXTRA LAPS, DIDNT ADD IT TO MY DIARY BC I DONT THINK I DID ENOUGH TO COUNT BUT IT MADE ME FEEL BETTER...

I PLAN ON HITTING THE TREADMILL TONIGHT THO SIGH...I DONT HAVE ANY OTHER OPTIONS HAHAHAHA THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!
  • spitfire423
    Options
    I THINK WERE IN THE EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS CLUB HAHA
  • bobbyandthekid
    Options
    I live 1.5 miles from work. So I walk to work every day and walk home for lunch.
    I stopped asking my assistant to retrieve files and deliver papers and started doing my own running.
    I stand and walk around my desk when I am on the phone and stopped using the intercom system, Now I get up and talk to people. I am debating getting a bar height table to work from. I hear trading your chair for a core ball works great, but my big comfy leather chair still calls my name. Do they make black core balls? haha