Fitness Band: Is It Really Helpful?

Options
NuelaValdez
NuelaValdez Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2015 in Getting Started
I've been wanting to get a fitness band for me specifically the vivofit 2 by garmin but I'm not sure if it is worth the money or it can really motivate me to give my best on my workouts. What do you guys think? :)

Replies

• Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge and it's really got me on track. Link it via the app to MFP and you'll be flying.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the Firbit Charge HR and I love it. I like it as a physical reminder to take the longer router or take the steps. I'm hoping it'll get me into the habit of going further so I do it without thinking.

I'm also motivated by numbers and charts, so having the dashboard helps me see how I'm improving :)
  • giasaurus
    giasaurus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and and aiming for 10k steps per day has really good for me. auto sync is amazing, makes up for the days I track past midnight :) upgrading to a charge HR soon, actually!
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and love it. It makes you much more aware of how active you are, more so than a pedometer. I can easily clock up the steps, but the Fitbit counts steps but also tells you how many minutes of activity you have done. Mine is shockingly low, as sauntering around counts to the step total but isn't proper exercise activity.

Same as Bacchants, I am motivated by numbers, and like to challenge myself to beat my previous day/weeks bests.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i have the vivofit 2 ordered, hope to get it in the next couple days. i had the fitbit a couple years ago until it got wet and died (which is the reason i went with the water resistant vivofit this time) and it really helped me. it was a constant visual reminder to move.. i really like the idea that the vivofit 2 chirps when you have been sitting for too long -- it will be a good reminder at work, i can sometimes get carried away in computer work and before i know it i have been sitting at the computer for 2 hours. - the garmin connect looks like it has a way you can connect with other users and then you can have step/ activity challenges, fitbit had this also and it was fun to try to beat the other users each day.
  • rowantb
    rowantb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to use my iPhone to count steps but 4 days ago bought the misfit shine and it's made a massive difference. Its more accurate as it's always on me and it really helps you track how much you're actually doing everyday. It also tracks my sleep which is great for me!

I'd definitely recommended getting some sort of band :)
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit, absolutely love it! It helps keep me moving and motivated. Love the tracking.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. It's made things easier for me in terms of tracking my activity over the day, and I have to admit I get a little spike of happiness when it vibrates at 10,000 steps. XD If you do get one, get one with a heart rate monitor. It will be a lot more accurate in calculating your calorie burn, which is helpful.
  • NuelaValdez
    NuelaValdez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Seems like the majority here uses fitbit and loving it! Hmm lemme try and see reviews for fitbit and prices in comparison to vivofit.
  • wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes it is. My Garmin watch got me here. I am using it to track my activity levels.
  • crubio360
    crubio360 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My garmin broke so I got a Fitbit charge HR and it has really helped me stay active throughout my entire day. I like Fitbit because it connects to myfitnesspal.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    crubio360 wrote: »
    My garmin broke so I got a Fitbit charge HR and it has really helped me stay active throughout my entire day. I like Fitbit because it connects to myfitnesspal.

That's pretty much why I went with Fitbit. I think some others will connect, but that seemed to be the most supported by MFP.
  • rowdy13
    rowdy13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my vivofit 2
  • rowdy13
    rowdy13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vivofit 2 connects to my fitness pal and its waterproof too. Makes you aware of how active you really are being. Thought i was much more active than I really am.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Also in the camp of "I have a FitBit Charge HR and i luv it"

Just something about the walking and stair climbing you do not getting lost to oblivion that is a huge motivation to do more.
  • RickLanc
    RickLanc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got a Pivotal Living step counter fitness band from Amazon for $15. Does everything my wife's fit bit does and has LED. Love it. Helps me know how much to walk to reach my daily goal in the evenings
  • jeweidanz
    jeweidanz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit charge yesterday. I cannot get the steps to log into MFP. I have set it up to sync but it is not doing so. Any ideas?
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out why the bands are so trendy. I just have a fitbit zip. The bands are so much more expensive, don't really have many extra features and they need recharging all the time (zip battery last 6 months). I also wouldn't want to have a band that was visible, zip clips onto my bra so no one sees it.

• ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR here and I too love it. Set a goal and see how close you are to hitting it. I'm competing with a number and I hate to lose. It tells the time, so for the first time in years I don't have to find my phone to know what time it is.