What to do at the gym?

Options
Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to the concept of exercising at a gym (I've been living off YouTube fitness videos for as long as I can remember...).

What types of routines would you typically do at a gym? I've heard that weights before cardio is always the move. But how much time should I spend on weights in comparison to cardio? Also, should I focus on a different muscle group each day or total body every day?

I totally get that fitness and exercise is subjective, but I was wondering if you all could share a couple of tips? :smile:

I'm 18 right now too if that makes a difference lol

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    the only reason I go to a gym is for the weight room...I primarily ride and do a little running...and go for the occasional swim for my cardio...i prefer to do those things outside...droning away on some silly machine is boring as *kitten*.

You should look into an actual program like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves...these are good beginner general fitness lifting routines...New Rules would be a good read for you in general.

Your ratio of cardio to resistance training is really dependent on your fitness goals. I do a lot more cardio in the spring and summer when it's nice out and I'm participating in various cycling events and what not...I need the miles. I lift 2-3x per week for about an hour during these times.

In the winter when it's cold and dark I spend more time in the weight room...and I get out on a ride on nice days and otherwise force myself to get a little treadmill work in for cardio.

It really just depends on you and what your fitness aspirations are.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What is your goal/goals.
  • hello_9801
    hello_9801 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks cwolfman13! I'll check out those programs to gain some more insight to lifting.

As for my goals, I guess first and foremost I'd like to tone up. I'm not overweight but I do have a little bit of fat around my midsection that I am hoping to reduce with exercise. Ultimately, I want to get into a daily fitness/eating routine to develop a healthier lifestyle.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    hello_9801 wrote: »
    What to do at the gym?
    Deadlifts. Do deadlifts at the gym.

f66782fe5a513f91b4a456ba21effb44.jpg

(if you want to 'tone up' then you should start on a strength routine and eat at a deficit)
  • cassiz91
    cassiz91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goal, plan out if you want to gain muscle and how much. Then focus which body parts. For example: Monday: chest, arms and shoulders, Wednesday: legs, Friday: back. Then you can simplify and go into detail of what workouts you'd like to do :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Make sure you warm up before lifting, though. Usually requires 5-10 minutes of cardio first thing.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cassiz91 wrote: »
    It really depends on your goal, plan out if you want to gain muscle and how much. Then focus which body parts. For example: Monday: chest, arms and shoulders, Wednesday: legs, Friday: back. Then you can simplify and go into detail of what workouts you'd like to do :)

Splits for a beginner are inefficient. They're not needed. A fully body program, such as Stronglifts 5x5 is better in my eyes.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    cassiz91 wrote: »

Splits for a beginner are inefficient. They're not needed. A fully body program, such as Stronglifts 5x5 is better in my eyes.
    I would agree with that.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

Splits for a beginner are inefficient. They're not needed. A fully body program, such as Stronglifts 5x5 is better in my eyes. [/quote]

This. Research Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting... all great programs.

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    There's no way for us to know without knowing your goals. My goal is mainly to build muscle and burn fat so I do more weight lifting than cardio with about a 2:1 ratio. Weight training is 50 mins, my cardio is 20.