Replies

• RickLanc
    RickLanc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'm three weeks into diet control attempt #1
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So if you are going to do soemthing about it good look. with people eporting they have been confirmed as a diabetic and ignored repeated warnings about it and are now sad, shocked upset etc they didnt do anything. Good luck.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a Type II but on the borderline of prediabetic and diabetic. Anyway, I have lost a significant amount of weight and reversed the condition. I never took meds because I can control it with my diet. But I say do it while you are still in this stage, poking my finger sucks.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed pre-diabetic last year. My a1c was 1/10th of a point from being officially diabetic, it was that close. I was prescribed Metformin, and given a diet regimen. I followed it to the letter (for once in my life). Now 80 pounds later, and in possibly the best fitness I have been in (despite still being quite overweight per BMI), I have had perfect a1c and blood sugars for well over a year now, and am also no longer low carb (but that's because of all of the running I do which requires carbs).

It is DEFINITELY possible. It is also possible to fail. Part of what helped motivate me was personal experiences watching family/friends go through stages of pre-diabetic to Type II, from Type II to Type I, and from getting their diabetes under control to giving up that struggle for a few years only to find themselves at a point where they were really unable to get things back under control (foot/nervous system issues, etc). At that poit it is a death spiral that you are simply delaying as long as possible.

It is a damn serious disease, not to be messed with at all. It's a life-long battle, and I pray that I will fight it tooth and nail the whole way. I don't want to ease up thinking all is well just to take too many steps backwards and never be able to get back to the same health as before.

Good luck! To you and everyone else fighting this or Type I or II diabetes, wherever along the progression of that disease you are.
  • iamrosiegirl
    iamrosiegirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys it's good to know it's reversible. I had gestational diabetes when pregnant and knew then this could happen. It's a wake up call for sure. And sugar is everywhere! I need to lay off the alcohol for a good start. I'm telling myself don't let what I want now keep me from what I want most!
  • blinddog52
    blinddog52 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey, same thing with me. Lost 32 pounds, change my eat habits also. Blood sugar is at normal. Friend me if u are ready.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed pre-diabetic last year. My a1c was 1/10th of a point from being officially diabetic, it was that close. I was prescribed Metformin, and given a diet regimen. I followed it to the letter (for once in my life). Now 80 pounds later, and in possibly the best fitness I have been in (despite still being quite overweight per BMI), I have had perfect a1c and blood sugars for well over a year now, and am also no longer low carb (but that's because of all of the running I do which requires carbs).

It is DEFINITELY possible. It is also possible to fail. Part of what helped motivate me was personal experiences watching family/friends go through stages of pre-diabetic to Type II, from Type II to Type I, and from getting their diabetes under control to giving up that struggle for a few years only to find themselves at a point where they were really unable to get things back under control (foot/nervous system issues, etc). At that poit it is a death spiral that you are simply delaying as long as possible.

It is a damn serious disease, not to be messed with at all. It's a life-long battle, and I pray that I will fight it tooth and nail the whole way. I don't want to ease up thinking all is well just to take too many steps backwards and never be able to get back to the same health as before.

Good luck! To you and everyone else fighting this or Type I or II diabetes, wherever along the progression of that disease you are.

Couldn't have said it better. I have lost family members to this disease and both my parents have it. I found out I had it only because my doctor noticed I was tired a lot after I had surgery, and tested me. It saved my life I am thankful everyday that she did catch it, cause it changed my life for the better. It made me get serious and lose the weight. I've had normal A1c's for over a year as well and she feels that I will avoid all the complications that will come with this disease if I stay on this path. I am also glad that my parents decided to start eating better and take care of themselves.

But just a correction to your statement, you can't go from Type II to Type I. Type I is an autoimmune disorder while Type II is lifestyle related, what I think you mean is going from pills to becoming insulin dependent?
  • empressofmia
    empressofmia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello mmd575,

I'm pre diabetic and my doctor prescribed metformin she also said to go to weight watchers but I don't feel comfortable participating in group activities like that especially since I live and work in a small city.

What kind of diet regimen were you given and how long did it take for your A1c number to go down?

I don't have a diet regimen. I've been trying to do 1200 calories a day. Not always easy because of the metformin however.

I really need help and I like your positive post. So far I've lost 7lbs in 20 days on about 1200 calories.

Thanks!
  • iamrosiegirl
    Options
    r wrote: »
    So if you are going to do soemthing about it good look. with people eporting they have been confirmed as a diabetic and ignored repeated warnings about it and are now sad, shocked upset etc they didnt do anything. Good luck.
    mmd575 wrote: »

Couldn't have said it better. I have lost family members to this disease and both my parents have it. I found out I had it only because my doctor noticed I was tired a lot after I had surgery, and tested me. It saved my life I am thankful everyday that she did catch it, cause it changed my life for the better. It made me get serious and lose the weight. I've had normal A1c's for over a year as well and she feels that I will avoid all the complications that will come with this disease if I stay on this path. I am also glad that my parents decided to start eating better and take care of themselves.

But just a correction to your statement, you can't go from Type II to Type I. Type I is an autoimmune disorder while Type II is lifestyle related, what I think you mean is going from pills to becoming insulin dependent?

both of you have given me hope. It's good to know that this is reversible!
  • 199orBUST
    199orBUST Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello mmd575,

I'm pre diabetic and my doctor prescribed metformin she also said to go to weight watchers but I don't feel comfortable participating in group activities like that especially since I live and work in a small city.

What kind of diet regimen were you given and how long did it take for your A1c number to go down?

I don't have a diet regimen. I've been trying to do 1200 calories a day. Not always easy because of the metformin however.

I really need help and I like your positive post. So far I've lost 7lbs in 20 days on about 1200 calories.

Thanks!

Please speak to a nutritionist.

Unless you weigh 130 or less, I would not recommend 1200 calories a day.
    Your body requires a certain number of calories to function properly (One easy way to get a rough estimate is to multiply your weight by 10). When your body gets far less calories than what it needs, it goes into "starvation mode." So instead of burning calories, your metabolism basically shuts off, and stores all food as fat. Your body isn't sure when it will be fed next, and therefore the metabolism stops working. You can actually gain weight through this process.

Also, be careful. If you're on Metformin and you cut out too many carbs you run the risk of lactic acidosis.

My best suggestion is learn all you can about this disease and document everything you do that's associated with it.

• 199orBUST
    199orBUST Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi rosiegirl,
    I was dx Type II in July 2010. My a1c was barely a 7. I worked hard and dropped 80 lbs (279-199) in 3 months. THE WRONG WAY. Did it way too quickly and just went on a diet instead of changing my whole lifestyle. But I did lower the bad numbers and raised the good ones.

Then I got lazy and stopped. No more working out. Ignored the diet because I had it beat and figured I could eat most anything now. I ran around using made up terms like "former diabetic" and "diabetic in remission".
    Never realizing I was gaining over half the weight back and messing up all my wonderful progress.

In June of this year, I went in for a check up and was shocked at how bad the numbers had become. My weight was 259; a1c 8.94 and so on.

My point is this. You got your wake up call and you got it early enough to do something about it. It appears you're taking care of business. I applaud you for that. YOU WILL experience some backsliding. We all do. You will fail at times. We all do. The important thing is you never give up. If you fall, GET BACK UP. You can do this!

When you get control, keep control. Keep in mind that it's easy to slip back into bad habits, so discipline yourself. If you remain diligent, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
  • iamrosiegirl
    Options
    THANK YOU! That's what i wanna hear! And how about you, are you back on track now?