hypothyroid and it sucks!!!

Options
having no thyroid and relying on medication sucks. I wish I had the energy to workout. I try to eat as healthy as I can but the dang scale won't move

Replies

• suediebee
    suediebee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with borderline low thyroid. I also seem to have a small goiter, I really hope to not have to take medication but that is what the doctor recommends. Are there any side effects of the medication?
  • jenngarza80
    jenngarza80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    suediebee wrote: »
    I have just been diagnosed with borderline low thyroid. I also seem to have a small goiter, I really hope to not have to take medication but that is what the doctor recommends. Are there any side effects of the medication?
    Well I had my thyroid removed so I'm stuck having to take meds and the effects I get when my body is not absorbing it is the normal symptoms. Hair loss, weight gain, cold, irritable, and just pure exhausting

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid medication is synthetic or natural thyroid hormones, so the side effects are the same as the symptoms of hyperthyroidism—anxiety, tremor, palpitations, insomnia, sweating… Your endocrinologist will test your levels regularly and adjust your dosage accordingly.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient!

But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • aprayer
    aprayer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Had my thyroid removed in 1994 I've been on medication every since. I'm thankful for the medication and being able to control thyroid disease. Life is good again and now I get my T S H levels checked regularly. Knowing the signs & symptoms of too much or too little T S H helps tremendously, when it comes to talking to your physician. Getting a T S H uptake test is a quick simple blood draw. Sometimes its just a small adjustment in medication to get you right back to the awesome person you were before. Hope this helps calm your fears.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Good you found us. What is your TSH level? Goal for 0.3 - 3.0. Find out what your T4, T3, and RT3 results are too and keep a log.

I had a total thyroidectomy due to cancer back in 2000 and managed to put on ~75 lbs slowly over the past 15 years. I started using MFP about 1 year ago and lost >50lbs so far.

There are several elite athletes with hypothyroidism, so don't let this obstacle stop you.