"Poofers"

Options
RJ0274
RJ0274 Posts: 4,174 Member
Looking for insights into MFP friends who just suddenly disappear from the site. One minute you're exchanging PM strings and next minute, "poof" they're gone. Account deactivated or just no more responses. Anyone had/done this experience?

Replies

• LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Yep I have observed that. I call them robots. Maybe real maybe not.
  • RJ0274
    Options
    I've heard the term on the site, but didn't know what it meant - thanks! Some are more obvious than others.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i had a few,some were really cool
    one i found again,we chatted all the time
    then poof he was gone
    i was like eff that,im not begging friend!
    I think maybe his wife was jealous
  • LVNF04
    Options
    I have a couple of people I friended and they have no activity for days. I say to myself maybe they weren't as serious about their health or perhaps something came up that was more serious.
  • RJ0274
    Options
    i had a few,some were really cool
    one i found again,we chatted all the time
    then poof he was gone
    i was like eff that,im not begging friend!
    I think maybe his wife was jealous

Yeah, in some cases, you'll see them again down the road. It's just beyond me to think people develop intricate back stories that often sound legit. I could see if they're trying get personal information in a fraud scheme, but no one ever asked for any personal/financial information in my experiences. Just seems unusual. :/
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have that happen every now and then. The part that worries me is (as far as I know, never having met these people) they're generally older or have medical conditions and I'm sitting here with absolutely no idea if they got busy or sick or dead or what. :/ As an army brat I've grown up to take my "penpal"ing very seriously and it hurts when people just up and disappear without so much as a "hey, I've got this coming up I may be MIA for a while" or "sorry, stuff happened, I'm okay, though". The dark side of making internet friends...
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    meh,some peoples are just weird
    ive had people talk to me like um their bff
    then ignore me
    i don't get it
  • RJ0274
    Options
    I have that happen every now and then. The part that worries me is (as far as I know, never having met these people) they're generally older or have medical conditions and I'm sitting here with absolutely no idea if they got busy or sick or dead or what. :/ As an army brat I've grown up to take my "penpal"ing very seriously and it hurts when people just up and disappear without so much as a "hey, I've got this coming up I may be MIA for a while" or "sorry, stuff happened, I'm okay, though". The dark side of making internet friends...

In my experiences, they've all been younger and they tend to disappear after a trip/vacation or other event. I agree - and maybe I'm a bit naïve - but exactly, just a note to say - "hey, I'm outta here", or "I'm taking a break for a while" would be great. I've lost a couple friends right after they asked me a question. I responded only to find their account was no longer active.
  • RJ0274
    Options
    meh,some peoples are just weird
    ive had people talk to me like um their bff
    then ignore me
    i don't get it

exactly!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I came here expecting magic. :disappointed:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

Dark%252520Knight%252520-%252520Pencil%252520Trick%252520Full%252520Scence%252520%252528HD%252529%252520%25255Bwww.keepvid.com%25255D_1.gif
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Dark%252520Knight%252520-%252520Pencil%252520Trick%252520Full%252520Scence%252520%252528HD%252529%252520%25255Bwww.keepvid.com%25255D_1.gif

NOW it's a thread!!
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Freedom to do whatever you want. Sign on to apps. Kick apps. Disappear from the Internet completely. Rage quit. Don't ask questions.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't take it too personally anymore. It happens. People get busy, give up or find something new. No skin off my back. My "friends" that I do interact with more ill let them know if I'm busy.
  • kiousd
    kiousd Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple friends that have had reasons to deactivate and said their goodbyes and a couple active friends that just vanished over night without notice.
  • _Captivated_
    _Captivated_ Posts: 5,669 Member
    Options
    I'd rather people "Poof" than add me then sit there and never say an effing word to me. :grumble: Why do people DO that?!
  • LVNF04
    Options
    You have to stop and ask yourself if they ever really existed at all. Perhaps they were all in your head. Back in the day, crazies talked to themselves. Today, they talk to imaginary internet people.

Don't tell me that. That's all the fuel my 57,000 brother's and sister's in my head need.lol

• LVNF04
    Options
    I'd rather people "Poof" than add me then sit there and never say an effing word to me. :grumble: Why do people DO that?!

Maybe they are shy or you scare them?
    (Checks for bad breath)