Is it okay to workout with a heart rate of 160?

Options
I have been working out for 4 years, but kept my hwart rate 120-145 for workouts. I started running again which I used to do for 10 years but 10 years ago. I have a heart rate monitor and feel great. I just feel pushing like its hard but not too hard, but my heart rate gets to 160 and stays there for awhile when I run. Is that okay if I feel fine during and after workouts? I did the max heart calculation and I am training 85-90% often. I have been running many days a week for a few months and so far fine. Do I work on trying to be slow and keep the heart rate slower?

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    That is pushing it quite hard.

I would try and check with a different heart rate monitor if possible

If
    You are at a gym with cardio equipment, go at it hard on a cardio glide

See what a similar level of exertion feels like

Happy exercising!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person but that sounds pretty normal to me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for 4 years, but kept my hwart rate 120-145 for workouts. I started running again which I used to do for 10 years but 10 years ago. I have a heart rate monitor and feel great. I just feel pushing like its hard but not too hard, but my heart rate gets to 160 and stays there for awhile when I run. Is that okay if I feel fine during and after workouts? I did the max heart calculation and I am training 85-90% often. I have been running many days a week for a few months and so far fine. Do I work on trying to be slow and keep the heart rate slower?

What formula did you use to calculate max HR? 220-age produces wrong data as often as it produces correct data. There are other ways that involve actually pushing yourself while using a HRM and using real data to derive max HR.

If you feel fine during and after, it is probably not an issue. A 10 year break in running means you're not going to be as efficient now as then. Perceived exertion is a useful tool ... use it.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Depends on your age. Most max heart rate charts and training zone charts are based on how old you are. I regularly hit the 160's doing interval training but I don't stay there for sustained periods.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I hit 180 fairly often, which would theoretically be 100% of max (I'm 40), but clearly isn't. I got up to 204 during HIIT last year and nothing bad happened.

My doctor said as long as I feel fine and don't get dizzy or have chest pain I'm ok at 170-180bpm. You might want to double check with your doctor to see what he or she says.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    At 42 years old, the 220-age formula puts me at a max of 178. Testing puts me at 197. I'll take the test over the generic formula every time.

My last race was a 4 miler on the 4th of July .. avg HR 164 on a hilly course ... no issues.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

What formula did you use to calculate max HR? 220-age produces wrong data as often as it produces correct data. There are other ways that involve actually pushing yourself while using a HRM and using real data to derive max HR.

If you feel fine during and after, it is probably not an issue. A 10 year break in running means you're not going to be as efficient now as then. Perceived exertion is a useful tool ... use it.
    This. The formulas are rarely accurate. If you care enough you can field test yourself to find your max hr but unless you are seriously concerned, perceived exertion should be just fine (assuming you are otherwise healthy)
  • Tucker145
    Tucker145 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For the first few months of running, I found my heart rate up there. 160-170 I bought a heart rate monitor to see if it was real. Some equipment are not accurate. At 5 miles per hour for 30 min or more it has come down to 150 after months. The heart takes a while to condition. Blood pressure is nice and low also now.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sure. Those formulas don't mean much.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are really at 85 to 90% for most runs then yes that is too hard. You are running a Lactate Threshold effort every day. You should only run that hard once or twice a week and the rest of the time run at less than about 77% max. These guidelines are for best improving performance.

To be sure you need to do a max HR test or run a hard 5k and see how high it gets in the last 400m sprint.

I don't know how old you are but for comparison I am 55 and run most of the time with my HR under 130 for an easy effort. My Lactate Threshold runs are between about 143 and 155.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I did the max heart calculation and I am training 85-90% often. I have been running many days a week for a few months and so far fine.

My theoretical MHR is 175, in practice I peak at about 200bpm and during a half marathon I'll run at an average of 175 for the duration.

Essentially, the 220-age calculation of MHR is so rough an estimate as to be pointless.
    Do I work on trying to be slow and keep the heart rate slower?

You'll get more endurance benefit from staying at a lower range HR for longer. So whilst nothing inherently wrong with pushing yoruself, you're not going to make significant fitness gains.

I appreciate that it's counterintuitive, but that's how the system works.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My heart-rate often is around 150-165 when running at around a 9.5 min mile and I feel fine :)
  • EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I can sustain thebheart rate for 7 or 8 miles and still can keep running, but I stop because of my running plan. So i can do long distance with it that way ans endurance, but was wondering if I should force myself to keep heart rate down lol. I read last night if you are sweating out sodium, it can make your heart rate faster. I am going to try the articles sodium recommendations and see if it helps. Its really hot when I run sometimes too
  • EatWholeFoods
    Options
    I am 30 years old. Also I do not get sore after running 8 miles.
  • EatWholeFoods
    Options
    How do I field test for my max heart rate? Also I have a garmin forerunner heart rate monitor. I care enough to even pay for a stress test etc. I think my max heart rate nay be higher than the equation and that's why I don't get sore or a lot of lactic acid build up.
  • EatWholeFoods
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Also I don't feel weird unless it reaches 181.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The Maffetone 180 formula may be a better way of estimating your target heart rate zone.

http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

I'm 43 years old and have been running for a long while. I use 142 as my target ceiling based on the Maffetone formula.
  • scottb81
    Options
    If you are 30 then a heartrate around 150 is an easy run. So, assuming your max HR is ballpark average running at 160 is not terribly high but is higher than you need to get aerobic benefits from your run. The benefits of running easier are that you can run longer with less fatigue and can recover faster and run more.

Google max heartrate test for several ways to figure it out. They all involve running really hard to the point of passing out LOL. Or just run a hard 5K and sprint as hard as you can the last 400 meters.
  • scottb81
    Options
    Running in heat will elevate your heartrate 10 to 15 beats per minute because a lot of the blood is going to the skin to cool you instead of taking oxygen to the muscles. The ideal running temperature is 55 F. By the time it gets to 80 the heartrate is significantly elevated. Humidity makes it worse.

Generally, in the heat you will need to run slower, but the training effect is still there.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I thought 160 is usually the number quoted on the machines as the mark for "high intensity". I hit 160 often (based on the machines' sensors... which are probably fairly innacurate). But 160 should be fine.