Gaining weight

Options
bye guys :)

I'm feeling a little fed up today. I started dieting around 3 weeks ago lowering my calories to 1200-1500 and excersing 4-5 times a week which I've never done before. Last week I lost 2lb and this week I've out in 2lb!. I just don't understand how I've put on weight when I've been eating well and Doing cardio and weights :(

If anyone knows a reason this could be that'd be great.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear - you won't lose weight every week. Some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. Weight fluctuates naturally. And if you're weighing weekly and not daily you may well have been down yesterday then just fluctuated today. Lots of things cause fluctuations: salty foods, periods, new exercise regimes (especially if you're doing weights), extra food that hasn't been digested, and sometimes they just happen for seemingly no reason.

To demonstrate, this is my weight loss graph weighing daily over a few months:

WcWgL2c.png
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium intake. Hormones, especially if you're nearing/at TOM. New/increased exercise regime. 7000 calorie surplus over the week (that one, I'm sure, is doubtful). But there are definitely reasons. As Demora said, weight loss isn't linear, and it's best to watch the trend over 4-6 weeks.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    At three weeks you are just getting started. Give yourself time to adapt.

Also, what did you mean exactly by " Last week I lost 2lb and this week I've out in 2lb"? Did you gain 4 pounds in one week or just gain back the two pounds you previously lost?

My own weight can fluctuate a few pounds in either direction during a week no matter what I'm doing. When I look back 3 months, it becomes more clear that I'm losing weight.

When I have trouble, I focus on how well I'm tracking my calories in/out. I've found that every set back was caused to my not tracking my calories accurately.

Difficulties with tracking calories or overeating is all part of the process at the beginning. If you stick with it and slowly build better habits, the weight will come under your control.

Whatever negative thoughts you are having at this time, just right them down and consider them carefully. How accurate are those negative thoughts? Try to consider a more reasonable and realistic way of looking at your situation and write that down next to the negative thought.

For example the thought:

"I've lost 2 pounds last week and gained it back this week. Is there something wrong with me that prevent me from losing weight?"

May have a more realistic outlook:

"The two pounds I lost appeared to have come back. There could be many reasons it came back. I may need to give myself more time and maybe pay better attention to what I'm eating and how much exercise I'm getting. I'm still on the right track and deserve credit for committing to getting healthier."

People are much, much stronger than they give themselves credit for. I have learned not to doubt what anybody says they can accomplish. The only thing that stands in your way is failing to believe that you can do this. Trust in yourself and trust in the process and keep at it.

• alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys and yes I meant I had lost 2lb and then put it back on this week. I just thought because I'm young and I need o loose around 40lb that it should be coming off easier :/ and I've previously lost weight by just healthy eating alone and this time I've added the gym so I was hoping to have lost something at least in 3 weeks
  • MrFitness225
    MrFitness225 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Diets are a temporary fix to a deeper problem.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

How is this helpful? Caloric restriction is a part of MFP that many users chose to utilize and I don't understand how restricting my calories and losing weight to improve my health indicates that I have a deeper problem.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

How is this helpful? Caloric restriction is a part of MFP that many users chose to utilize and I don't understand how restricting my calories and losing weight to improve my health indicates that I have a deeper problem.
    If, by "diet," he means eating only particular kinds of food or in particular ways, yeah, I think that's a temporary fix to a deeper problem.

If, by "diet," he means calorie restriction, in general, I think the statement is overly broad. By far.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

If, by "diet," he means eating only particular kinds of food or in particular ways, yeah, I think that's a temporary fix to a deeper problem.

If, by "diet," he means calorie restriction, in general, I think the statement is overly broad. By far.

Touché. Hopefully he means the former - Id agree with that.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Touché. Hopefully he means the former - Id agree with that.
    I don't know. I kind of took it the way you did, but it's vague. Maybe he'll clarify.

• alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the deeper problem part, confidence wise that's why I'm doing it but I dont see it as I problem I see it as a goal, a goal to feel confident in clothes and in myself calling something a problem demonises it
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    I do agree with the deeper problem part, confidence wise that's why I'm doing it but I dont see it as I problem I see it as a goal, a goal to feel confident in clothes and in myself calling something a problem demonises it

If you don't mind me asking, what's your Stats?
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah give it time, have patience and all that :|
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The term "diet" where I come from has always had a denial connotation. "You can't have this, you can't have that ...."

Long term, that doesn't tend to work for the majority.

I never use that term for what I/we are doing here on MFP. I ( and I hope we all ) am/are developing and following a nutrition lifestyle plan. Moderation, IIFYM and CICO.

To answer the OP, its non linear, and all kinds of factors will influence it. Your hormonal cycle, sodium and carb intake, new exercise/activity water retention ( for repair ), etc. Every extra 100 mg of sodium results in a cup of additional water retention, which is half a lb.

Stick to your plan, give it more time, and pay attention to the trend line, not the individual up/down readings.