Half Marathon- too lofty a goal?

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
I had a very bad, grumpy, funk of a day and when my husband got home he sent me off for a run. During this run, I decided that I love running and that I need something in my life that is just for ME. I am thinking about training for a half marathon but wanted some advice as to if this goal is too lofty for my current status.

Right now I'm only running maybe 2x a week and my pace is really slow- 12+min miles. Three years and a baby ago when I was in my top shape I got down to just under a 10 min mile and was doing 3-5m runs 3-4x a week. Should I try to up my game and get that base back under me before starting a training regimen? Train for a 10k instead? I'd love to hear from other runners and would be very interested in joining a group here to chat more consistently. Thanks!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think a half marathon as your immediate goal would be a bit too much too soon. You definitely want to build your base back up before putting a HM on your calendar. Try couch to 5k or find a training program that fits your level of fitness, and work your way back up to those 3-5 mile runs and get comfortable there, and then put some 10ks and maybe even a 10 miler on your schedule. You could push yourself to do a late fall half, but I think you'd enjoy the training experience more if you took the time to build a good foundation (15-20 miles over 3-5 days per week, for example) and keeping the HM as a later goal.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    As @kristinegift said Small Steps for progress to a HM.
    Try a 5K ( 3 mile ) Program and then after you finish it make your next goal a 10K ( 6 mile ) then look at the training plan for the Half.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I started about the same place you did, but trained for a 10k first. It's a much easier stepping stone and for me, decreased my likelihood to push too hard and get injured. It allowed me a lot more time to cross train and lift because I started in January, did a 10 in May, a tri this weekend and then my half in November.
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've done two half marathons, each at about 20-30 lbs overweight ( and one marathon). For both halfs I started by running about as much as you are currently, but I tend to get conditioned quickly when I'm in one of my sporadic exercise periods. As the date approached I did Hal Higdon 12 week training schedule, available free online. It's time consuming, and was tough to schedule with a young child. I should have balanced the running with more strength and flexibility training but the miles I was logging took all my free time. I'm rambling now, but all things for you to consider. I would say it's doable if having that big goal is what will really motivate you, but will be tough. Finally, I wasn't expecting to break any records myself, just to run all the way. Good luck.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I did a half for my first race. I followed the schedule and did ok (slow maybe 11 min mi) but I was hurting at the end, my knees killed. I ran a few more halfs after that and was in much better shape and felt great. So it's up to you, you could definitely do it but it may be tough on your body. Also, it's a lot of time to train for those long runs. Keep your childcare in mind, he's adorbs btw :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what's happening in this thread. Of course the OP can and should set a HM as a goal. And if she wants it can be her first ever race. It just ain't gonna be her race next weekend. Set your loftiest goal and then create and follow a reasonable plan to achieve it. She may need to set a date 6-9 months in the future, but there's no rule saying you have to do a 5k before a 10k and then a HM followed by a M.
  • JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm with DavPul on this. Half is a great distance to train for, I've done 5 in the past, (though not at this weight!) They are time consuming to train for but not nearly as crazy as for a full. Hal Higdon has some nice basic plans online that build progressively, you can even get his as smart phone apps. Maybe take a look at a friendly running specific website, I love Fetcheveryone. Ask for specific advice there, you will find masses of support. Advantage of distance is that your basic plan with have more steady state runs and less intervals / hill training too :-)

Look carefully at all the information when choosing your first half. Some are very beginner friendly, others less so. I did the Conway Half as my first which claims to be 'undulating'. Totally hilly to me! 223 meters of climb and back to sea level. Good laugh but...
    http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RouteViewer.asp?RouteType=S&RouteID=316659

I'm targeting Chester Half Marathon in 36 weeks, http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/half-marathon I've done it before, great course, excellent organisation and decent time to train.

The key to this is building slowly, don't try to train too fast and allow for recovery. Ideally from where you are, which isn't bad at all, aim for a spring 2016 half in order to enjoy it.

I don't suppose you have http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ near you do you? Can't see where you are. These are fantastic.

Best of luck and enjoy.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    KF1216 wrote: »
    I am thinking about training for a half marathon but wanted some advice as to if this goal is too lofty for my current status.

It depends on what time frame you have in mind and if you have a specific time you want to achieve etc.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm only running maybe 2x a week and my pace is really slow- 12+min miles.

Personally I wouldn't enter a training plan for a half unless I was consistently running 25-30 miles per week, but it really depends on your objectives. My aim at the moment is sub-2hrs.

If you're just going for completion, then you could start a programme now and aim to run one in about 16 weeks. Greater risk of injury and I suspect you wouldn't get a great time, but it's up to you what you want to deliver.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Depends on how soon you want to do it. Recommend training for a 5k and then a 10k before doing the half. Probably take you about 9 months if you train for a 5k & 10K first.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Getting your base back is part of the training regimen. If your goal is to finish the HM there's no reason you couldn't start Hal Higdon's beginner Novice 1 training plan (assuming you can already go 3 miles or so - don't worry about pace at this point) or, if you wanted to be a little more conservative consider one of the run/walk (Galloway) plans.

Having said that.....just because you can doesn't mean you should. HM is a fantastic distance, you can train for it and still have time left for yourself on long run days. Depending on how big the race is you might want to get a couple of shorter distance races to reduce the intimidation factor of the HM (the 10K I ran in May had 12,500 runners, the HM I'm doing is Sept has around 10,000 - running in large crowds can be challenging at first)

Most importantly, be consistent, listen to your body & have fun.
  • KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    I should have included the "when" part- I found a race November 1 which is 16 weeks away. There's a 10k in September, maybe I'll try to aim for that first.

Is it best to use training methods that use distance or time? Meaning, today I run an hour vs today I run 5 miles?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    Is it best to use training methods that use distance or time? Meaning, today I run an hour vs today I run 5 miles?

You'll get varying opinions on this.......I do both. Sundays, for example, I'll usually have a set distance in mind (at least when I'm training for a race) whereas with my mid-week runs it will often be half an hour out & back with the pace being whatever I feel like that day.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    I should have included the "when" part- I found a race November 1 which is 16 weeks away. There's a 10k in September, maybe I'll try to aim for that first.

There's actually a debate about this, but it relates mostly to longer distances (marathon+). For a HM, I would totally--in fact, did--train by distance. After all, it's a distance you'll have to run during the race.

The Hal Higdon HM plans are very popular for beginners, if you're wanting to run the whole thing. (If you want to do a run-walk combo, Galloway is your bet). Novice 1 doesn't start out with all that much more running than you're doing right now. You can do it running 3x a week plus cross-training, or 4x week. Since you're only running 2 days right now, you might want to stick with 3 days and do something else on the fourth to limit injury risk/not take the time to build up a fourth day of running since you're already doing three.

It's 12 weeks, so assuming you're running 2x/week 2 miles right now, you could bridge to it with something like this:

Week 1: run 2 miles, XT, run 1 mile, run 2 miles
    Week 2: run 2 miles, XT, run 2 miles, run 2 miles
    Week 3: run 2 miles, XT, run 2 miles, XT, run 3 miles
    Week 4: run 3 miles, XT, run 2 miles, XT, run 3 miles

I cross-trained on the elliptical in the beginning. Now I'm on my bike or in the pool one day and walking the other. Walking is actually *excellent* cross-training since it's weight-bearing yet fairly easy on your joints and bones. :) People who are better than me at sitting still swear by yoga, too.

I went from couch (literally--I had broken my wrist and couldn't do anything involving sweat) to HM. It's totally possible. You do want to chill out at the half distance for a year or so before pressing on to a full marathon, if you ultimately decide to pursue that goal (TOTALLY not a requirement!), but a half is a great target.

Come join us in the distance runners' group!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I don't understand what's happening in this thread. Of course the OP can and should set a HM as a goal. And if she wants it can be her first ever race. It just ain't gonna be her race next weekend. Set your loftiest goal and then create and follow a reasonable plan to achieve it. She may need to set a date 6-9 months in the future, but there's no rule saying you have to do a 5k before a 10k and then a HM followed by a M.

This is kind of what my thought was on the matter- I see absolutely no reason why NOT to set a half as a 6-12 month goal and do the training and other racing between. Hell even the plan I'm following is having me do races as part of the training.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

November is a good goal. A novice plan is usually anywhere from 12-16 or even 18 weeks, so you could definitely do a plan in that amount of time! And a 10k in September would be an excellent check-in race.

As for distance versus time, I always use distance, but there's no one right way. If you prefer to train by distance, train by distance. If you prefer to train by time, train by time. Just make sure your training gets you running for long enough -- either by time or distance -- that you're prepared by race day :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

You can do either time or distance. There are training plans for people that have finishing time goals for their event that go by time only once you've established your pace. They are plans for people that are primarily interested in finishing that go by distance. To me, once you've established your pace, an increase in time is the same as an increase in distance and vice versa.

If you're on a HM training plan that's 16 weeks then you'll be running 10k distance fairly easily by September and you could enter a 10k event as one of your longer training runs. This is assuming you're not trying to podium the 10k.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You have to do it !!!! I am signed up for my first one OCT 4th and going to start a training plan on monday I do about 13 minute miles and the farthest distance so far has been a little over 5 so I got somework to do :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Totally agree that a Half is a great goal, and there's no reason why you shouldn't schedule one (as long as it's not next week, and you actually have time to train for it. :)). I use Higdon and love it - and doing both a 5K and a 10K race are in the training plan.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It really all depends if you want to run to race or run to finish. I moved from not liking to run to running just to clear my head. I typically run around 15 miles a week and stop. I'm just fine going at a 10 min/mile and try to run half marathon distances every month. Just starting my 7th month of running.