Help! I'm stuck!

This is my first post on a message board, so please be kind. I have been exercising and eating at a caloric deficit since April 2015 and had lost 22 pounds (total of 35 desired). I log my food religiously and try to stick to my 1100 calorie allowance. I do my best not to eat back my exercise calories. I just started adding in some resistance/weight training about a week ago; only done it twice now. I walk 4mph for 30 minutes every day after lunch, walk 4mph for 60 minutes on the weekends, spend 45 minutes on the elliptical once or twice a week and spend 15 minutes on the rowing machine once or twice a week. Last week I put on .2lb. Not a drastic change, I'm aware of that, but that seems to have started a trend. This week I put on a whole pound. I'm aware these are minor issues in the whole scheme of things, but I'm wondering if I should try changing my workout routine to mix things up. Is it important to mix things up? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing and wait for the results to happen? I just don't want my body to get used to what I've been doing and stop responding to my efforts.
I appreciate any advice.
BTW....I'm 46yr and 5ft 2".

Replies

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    From what I'm told, when you start a weight training program there will be a certain amount of water retention. Stick with it, it will level out.
  • GambierMightyMom
    GambierMightyMom Posts: 1 Member
    I would guess it is muscle weight, except I'm a bit surprised by the one pound in one week. When you say adding in resistance/weight training, did it twice, does that mean you have only done it once in the week you gained a pound? I notice that you've lost weight rapidly, in three months. Did you increase salt the week you gained alot? I think it's great you've lost the weight and are so active. It will really help you with menopause (I speak from experience, I'm 53 years old). I am no expert but I would work on increasing activity and strength training and not worry too much about the scale, so long as you control your calories. Oh, are you making sure you get enough good fats (for your brain!) and protein?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    A few things: it is not recommended that you eat under 1200 calories. Do you weigh under the same circumstances always? I vary 3-4 lbs PER DAY between AM and PM.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Normal fluctuations and possibly some water retention from resistance/weight training.

If you're sure nothing else has changed, it's almost certainly temporary.

ETA: It isn't muscle weight.
  • strangeling06
    strangeling06 Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2015
    kkenseth wrote: »
    A few things: it is not recommended that you eat under 1200 calories. Do you weigh under the same circumstances always? I vary 3-4 lbs PER DAY between AM and PM.

Agreed.

Also, I personally don't believe that our bodies "get used" to the things we do, but our strength and endurance increase. If you like what you are doing, just find ways to make it more challenging.
  • PuckTard
    PuckTard Posts: 29 Member
    dfranch wrote: »
    From what I'm told, when you start a weight training program there will be a certain amount of water retention. Stick with it, it will level out.
    water, the muscles heal themselves by retaining it..
    ^^ This :smiley: Also, if you are adding weight training to tone up, you have to fuel that muscle. Protein, Carbs (to keep your body burning those carbs instead of your protein), and you might want to look at increasing your daily calorie intake. 1100 with cardio AND strength training is really low.
  • kk_inprogress
    Normal fluctuations and possibly some water retention from resistance/weight training.

If you're sure nothing else has changed, it's almost certainly temporary.

ETA: It isn't muscle weight.

Thanks for adding that clarification- after two sessions, I'm doubting it's affecting much yet at all.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    also, you may be gaining muscle and losing fat. and muscle weighs more. try taking some measurements as well
  • kk_inprogress
    andycool22 wrote: »
    also, you may be gaining muscle and losing fat. and muscle weighs more. try taking some measurements as well

No. 1lb of muscle is exactly the same as 1lb of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat, if that's what you mean.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    andycool22 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that a 46 year old woman eating in a deficit isn't going to gain a pound of muscle in two workouts.

• joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    I salute ur dedication but who set up an 1100 calorie for you. I have 42 lbs to lose and want to lose 1 lb a week and MFP set me 1500 calories a day. I stick to this and I am satisfied and lost 9 lbs in 4 weeks. I exercise but never eat these back and I am worried that you are being very hard on yourself. What is ur goal for weight loss??
  • adoud1
    adoud1 Posts: 17 Member
    @GambierMightyMom: I used all the weight machines in the gym, about 30 reps, between 20-30lbs, 2 cycles once last week and once this week.

@kkenseth: I always weigh myself 1st thing in the morning after my shower; usually only once a week.

@PuckTard: I'm afraid of gaining the weight back if I eat more calories. How do I know if I burned off the extra calories I'm eating?

@andycool22: I do need to start taking measurements. I haven't done that yet and I feel I'm missing the whole picture.

Thank you so much for your responses and advise.
  • adoud1
    @joolieb1: I saw a nutritionist before I began my weight loss journey and she set that goal based on my resting metabolic rate. My total weight loss goal is 35lbs.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    To be following an 1100 a day calorie goal is not recommended by anyone here, 1200 is a minimum for health maintenance. I have 1500 a day and I am losing 2 lbs a week and I have 42 lbs to lose, I would b seriously struggling with your goal xx
  • kk_inprogress
    1200 calories is the RDA recommended MINIMUM for women. I'm concerned about any nutritionist recommending less than this for someone who is working out!

IMHO: weight fluctuates and loss is never linear. I tend to go up anywhere between .2 and 1.6 lbs for two to three weeks and then see a loss. Most people will tell you similar stories about not having linear loss. Two weeks is a short time in the scheme of things so hang in there and keep at it! You got this!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    So you are trying to loose 35 lbs and have already lost 22 with some gained back. You'd didn't give your current weight but I'll assume your goal weight is 130 (a healthy BMI of 23.8 at your height). That means I assume weight 144 now.

Your BMR, the amount of calories you would burn if you were in a coma, is 1350. Assuming you do not work out and are a couch potato, your daily caloric burn is assume to be 1620. If you are working out 5-6 hrs a week, you need 2330 calories to maintain your weight.

Point being, you are eating a lot more than the 1100 calories you think you are eating. Also, you are trying to loose too fast. The result will be more muscle loss. And you need to be eating your exercise calories back once you have accurately determined the amount of calories you are eating.
  • adoud1
    @Nuke_64: I started at 155 and currently weigh 134. My BMR is 1350 (I had a test done). I may eat 100 or so calories more than I'm aware of, but there's no way I'm eating A LOT more than 1100. I write down the calories in every tomato or apple or coffee creamer I use. Plus I read package nutrition information for everything I cook with. I can't believe I'm that far off. I don't think I would have had the loss I've already had if I was eating that far off.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    You probably are. Open your diary if you want more help.

Your goals are set to lose too much too fast and are not appropriate or healthy for someone your size.
  • adoud1
    @Nuke_64 : I've opened it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    To be following an 1100 a day calorie goal is not recommended by anyone here, 1200 is a minimum for health maintenance.

This is not true.