When do you face the scale?

Options

Replies

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning after the whiz ritual. I like seeing the squiggly line on my chart when I log every day.
  • humblestumble
    humblestumble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few others here. I weigh in the morning before eating and showering, and after using the bathroom. Usually, it's everyday. I know that's not recommended, but I don't dwell on small differences because I know that things we eat can linger, or if I eat too much salt, I have water weight. I like seeing the tracking on my graph - I like to see it go down as it really is, not as a shelf that swoops down one day. I also know that strength training causes muscle gain, so I like to take photos for real progress.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Every day. It's just data to me. I like seeing the daily information on my chart.
  • Ilovebaking13
    Ilovebaking13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Once every couple of weeks. I've found it doesn't really make me feel great because at my healthiest and fittest I was 145 and I my fattest and unhappiest I was 125. It's just a number to me, I like judging how I feel in my own clothing vs a scale that can't tell me fat percentage.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Every day, in the AM, naked, after going to the bathroom.

I record a new low in MFP after I have seen it on the scale for a few days and consider this my official weight. I record the daily weight in a spreadsheet so I can make a graph and remind myself that weight loss is not linear.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday morning. It's the only day I get to sleep in, and can wake up peacefully without a small child or two pestering me :) So I'm extra fasted, after the bathroom, and naked. Always naked. I don't have time to get naked and weigh myself, just to rush to get dressed again the rest of the week :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I log the result and I look at the trend over a week or two instead of focusing on one day's reading.

And I don't "face the scale" as if it's a form of judgement....it's a tool and I use it to better understand if the effort I make is working or not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily...it's just a tool and just one of many in my tool box...I range anywhere from 179 - 183...that's how I know I'm maintaining. Other than that, I don't give it much thought.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Just need to check and make sure I'm either maintaining or gaining slowly. Can't lose a single precious pound! :o
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, I weigh myself every day but I only care about the trend over time.

As part of my ritual, it helps me stay focused. It's easier to remember to do it everyday than just once per week.

I understand some people get frustrated when checking their weight daily but isn't it better to learn that weight fluctuates than continue to fear the scale. Even once a week the number can be misleading.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    only at the Dr.....so maybe 5 times a year?
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Every morning and every night. I'm obsessive about seeing how much my weight "range" is, so I can rest assured when I have a day when I weigh more that it'll pass. Haha. It keeps me from freaking out.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Every morning, right after *kitten*, shower, and shave.
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Every single morning, before I get dressed. I have no problem with facing it, and I have no emotional attachment to it. I see it as one tool among many in my pursuit of a healthy body. It not only tells me the number, but it begins my day-- a ritual that is the springboard to other choices and behaviors that keep me on the path. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind. My profile tells more about it.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm in the bathroom. Weighing myself has never really caused me a lot of emotional distress. Some people deal with fluctuations by weighing less often. I try to learn them.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Every morning, unless I forget. I track my fluctuations, and also my measurements. Even if I don't see progress on the scale, I usually see it in my measurements.
  • snowiebuggie
    snowiebuggie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First thing on Friday morning use to be chained to the scale everyday but I broke myself of that habit caused me to eat more when I use to weight myself every day
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    every morning. it's always lighter in the morning so I like the ego boost. plus I like to.stay on top of the number so I can tweak my diet if the number starts increasing. I'm not weighing myself today though becase my hubby and I destroyed a bag of tortilla chips last night so I know it wont be a flattering number. I'm going to workout today, crack down on my diet, and step on the scale tomorrow.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how often do you weigh yourself? Once a week? Once every two? Do you avoid the scale? Do you like what it has to say to you? Or do you hate the thing? I'd love to hear what you all do and how you measure your progress.

I weigh myself every Sunday morning. I don't feel very emotional about anymore. I just record whatever it says and move on.
    Once a month I take a progress picture and my body measurements.
    Once a month I try on my test jeans to see how they fit as well.
  • starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday morning right after I get up and use the bathroom.